Do police recognise/accept digital IDP Driving permits in Thailand?

Rudi OD

Hi all.

i am a UK 🇬🇧 citizen with a full valid drivers license & CBT (motorcycle license up to 125cc for my home country).

I am currently staying in Thailand but I forgot to purchase an international drivers permit back in England before I left.

i don’t want to keep paying police fines for not having a drivers permit, but I cant get a Thai license on my tourist visa.

ive found a service that does digital copies of my international drivers permit. 

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/international-drivers-license-uk/

would this be valid/accepted in Thailand if stopped by police? 

my other option is to mail my license back to family in England and get them to process my IDP and send it back.

thanks all! 

If you only have a CBT you won't be able to get an international license for riding a bike. It is not, as you claim, a "motorcycle license up to 125cc". It is a permit to use a motorcycle with an engine size no more than 125cc for the purposes of learning to ride.

Edited by JayClay

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

If you only have a CBT you won't be able to get an international license for riding a bike. It is not, as you claim, a "motorcycle license up to 125cc". It is a permit to use a motorcycle with an engine size no more than 125cc for the purposes of learning to ride.

Right okay fair enough. And in regards to the digital permit being accepted in Thailand do you know? 

On 10/28/2023 at 9:25 AM, Rudi OD said:

Ive found a service that does digital copies of my international drivers permit. 

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/international-drivers-license-uk/

would this be valid/accepted in Thailand if stopped by police? 

What you have linked to is not an official UK digital IDP as can be seen immediately from the incorrect spelling of "licence".   It is therefore not a real UK IDP service, it is a commercial enterprise conning drivers into buying a fake (ok, non-official) IDP as can be seen from where the site is registered (Singapore!) and their disclaimer...

"Legal Disclaimer: International Drivers Association is in no way affiliated with or a representative of American Automobile Association, Inc (AAA) and makes no claim to be a Government Agency". 

Whether the Thai police would accept the fake IDP document is a moot point but I wouldn't bank on it.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:07 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

What you have linked to is not an official UK digital IDP as can be seen immediately from the incorrect spelling of "licence".   It is therefore not a real UK IDP service, it is a commercial enterprise conning drivers into buying a fake (ok, non-official) IDP as can be seen from where the site is registered (Singapore!) and their disclaimer...

"Legal Disclaimer: International Drivers Association is in no way affiliated with or a representative of American Automobile Association, Inc (AAA) and makes no claim to be a Government Agency". 

Whether the Thai police would accept the fake IDP document is a moot point but I wouldn't bank on it.

Nobody has ever questioned mine, ever.

48 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:
On 10/29/2023 at 10:07 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Nobody has ever questioned mine, ever.

Good for you.  How many times have you had to present it? 

I take it you're referring to an illegal, unofficial "IDP", not issued by your country's DL/IDP authority, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand is part of the group of countries that accept official IDP. Each country has their official outlets. Check with your governments auto authority. There are companies doing it unofficially and it's not acceptable if the police following protocol.

I do it through official avenue in Australia and am always sent a paper licence and am not aware of a digital licence. 

I have never had my IDP  licence checked though and would just risk fines but for the insurance issues.

The official line is that you need an IDP and your UK licence or a Thai licence.  Most police will accept a UK licence on its own but no guarantees.

There are actually 3 different types of IDP depending on which convention a country signed up to - 1926, 1949 and 1968.  Thailand signed up to the 1968 convention so that's the one you need.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Any online sites that claim they can supply an IDP are a con.  UK citizens can only obtain an IDP from the Post Office in the UK. Other countries may well supply one if you are legally entitled to live in that country.

The Thai police quite often don't know the rules on licences but there's a more important thing to consider..........insurance!

I've had this argument quite a few times where people have said you don't need an IDP with a UK licence - I suggest that people call their insurers on that matter and get it in writing if they say you don't need an IDP. You'll find the truth out if you need to make a claim.

If you are driving someone else's car or bike and they tell you its insured for anyone - its not.  Its insured for anyone that is LEGALLY ENTITLED to drive it and that includes having the correct licence. Remember this, if you have an accident in Thailand where damage or injury is caused to a third party and you cannot provide VALID insurance, you will most likely be locked up until you pay for the damage/injury - worse still, compensation for death.

So, as you didn't get your IDP before you left the UK, if you want to be legal AND covered by insurance, your only way is to get a Thai licence.  If you have to do that through an agent - so be it.

Edited by MangoKorat