Open a Thai bank account on tourist visa

23 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

It will be very very difficult - albeit not totally impossible - to open a Thai bank-account on a Tourist Visa.

Is it safe to say that if the process for obtaining a Non-O for retirement purposes includes entering with or without a tourist visa and "Present passbook and deposit certificate from banks in Thailand" along with "Copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account (etc.)," there is no official explanation of how to legitimately obtain this account?

The non-official answer would seem to be: "Your problem."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, avidorn said:

The non-official answer would seem to be: "Your problem

Some options have been outlined in the thread.

Folk have the option of obtaining non O in own country prior to entering Thailand.

Another option is use of an agent

• Like 2

The old ways no longer work, as daveaustin says, you'll just waste a whole day trying and waiting up to an hour in each branch for the english speaking account opener to politely tell you no.  Using an agent is the route now.

Edited by circa02

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Some options have been outlined in the thread.

Folk have the option of obtaining non O in own country prior to entering Thailand.

Another option is use of an agent

I agree obtaining a Non-O from your own country either a single entry or multi entry is a good option as you do not need a Thai bank account as you show proof of funds in your own country.

Once you have the Non -O you will then be able to apply for a Thai bank account.

Or as you suggest use an agent.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, mlkik said:

I agree obtaining a Non-O from your own country either a single entry or multi entry is a good option as you do not need a Thai bank account as you show proof of funds in your own country.

Once you have the Non -O you will then be able to apply for a Thai bank account.

Or as you suggest use an agent.

Non-imm O in Australia requires 90 days health insurance from an approved agency. None of the approved agencies I contacted provided 90 days insurance as all wanted 12 months for O-A visa. Pretty much makes non-imm O impossible to get in my country.

Edit: I did find one company who offered 90 day insurance. I needed to pay first 100,000 baht of any hospital visit and the 90 day fee was more than what it costs for an agent to give you non-imm O + 12 month extension without 800k in bank

Edited by Pattaya57

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Non-imm O in Australia requires 90 days health insurance from an approved agency. None of the approved agencies I contacted provided 90 days insurance as all wanted 12 months for O-A visa. Pretty much makes non-imm O impossible to get in my country.

On the London Embassy website it also states you need health insurance however I received an email earlier in the week confirming that insurance is not needed for a Non O in London.

Maybe if you emailed them and asked you may be in luck as many of the Embassies have not up to date info on their websites.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

On the London Embassy website it also states you need health insurance however I received an email earlier in the week confirming that insurance is not needed for a Non O in London.

Maybe if you emailed them and asked you may be in luck as many of the Embassies have not up to date info on their websites.

I emailed Sydney consulate 3 times asking exactly that, explaining that no-one offered 90 day insurance. They ever replied

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I emailed Sydney consulate 3 times asking exactly that, explaining that no-one offered 90 day insurance. They ever replied

This is the reply I have received from the London Embassy.

Dear Sir/ Madam, 

Thank you for your email.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA TYPE O Retirement (for single entry / multiple entries)

(For retirement long stay: valid for 90 days)

Eligible Applicants for O Retirement Visa

- This category of visa is issued to the applicant who is a UK, Ireland and UK Territories national or a permanent resident of such countries currently whose age is 50 years or over and currently residing in the UK Ireland and UK Territories

O Retirement Conditions

- Period of stay: The holder of an O Retirement Visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days (single entry).

- Extension: If a traveller would like to stay longer, it is possible to extend your stay up to 1 year. An application can be submitted at the immigration office in Thailand.

- Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

- If the O Retirement Visa holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

Require Document 

1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document.                                                       
  1. Declaration.
           - Visa declaration must be downloaded and signed. Illegible youth declaration forms can be signed by their parents/ guardians.                                               

1. Photograph *taken within the last six months. If the photograph does not reflect your current appearance you may be refused to enter the Kingdom of Thailand.
          - If the photograph is inappropriate, and does not reflect your current appearance your visa may be rejected to enter the Kingdom of Thailand.                                                          

1. Proof of permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted.

2. Financial evidence e.g. A copy of a pension statement (more than £200/week) if the applicant is a pensioner and a copy of a 3-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or a 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000.

3. All travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.
         - International travel record over the past 12 months from the application date.

1. A document that can verify the applicant's current residency (Applicant must apply for e-Visa via a specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency.)
        - Applicants are requested to submit their local utility bills eg. electricity bills/ gas / mobile phone / rental agreements, and pension statements.                                        

- No need Health Insurance for O Retirement Visa. You can put your bank statement instead. 

my mate did it recently. bangkok bank would give him an account but he needed a letter from the embassy confirming his citizenship (really!), so he walked out and round the corner to k bank. a bit of a faff with much photocopying, document stamping and signing and calls to HO for authoristation, but he now has an account.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It sounds plausible to me, as even with a long-term visa, banks nowadays also want to see a driver's license in addition to the passport. Why one's passport isn't enough, who knows; fear of counterfeit passports?

no they don't.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

my mate did it recently. bangkok bank would give him an account but he needed a letter from the embassy confirming his citizenship (really!), so he walked out and round the corner to k bank. a bit of a faff with much photocopying, document stamping and signing and calls to HO for authoristation, but he now has an account.

Something missing here.

What was the basis of your friends stay in Thailand.

Did he have a non O.

BTW it's not a letter from embassy confirming citizenship.

It's a letter from embassy as an alternative to certificate of residence from immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's actually verification of your Thai address by your embassy.

Currently UK,USA,AU don't provide the "letter" (I'm not referring to income letter by same countries for extensions) 

An alternative is to obtain a certificate of residence from your immigration office.

That would be impossible at CW as for COR they aso required a TM47 to have been made.

For folk looking to transition to a Non O an agent is an option.

If still in home country then obtaining a Non O prior to entering Thailand would enable you to open a Bank Account.

Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn good option especially if you plan to use WISE. 

For Bangkok Bank its Certified copy of passport i have the document beside me now me now which i used 1 year ago to open my Thai bank account on a tourist visa. This was from the British Embassy in Bangkok. There is nothing on my document about my thai address.

On the letter it says 

I do hereby certify that this is a true copy made by me of an original British passport presented to me by (Name), Identified as British passport number ()

The process was quick and simple in and out in 10 minutes at the British Embassy i believe the cost for them to verify the document was around 25 pounds.  

Once i handed the certified copy of my passport document from the British Embassy to the Bank thats all they needed and i had my Bank account opened in 15 minutes.

Bangkok Bank are the only interested in tourists from my experience the rest you are wasting your time attempting so best to stick to Bangkok Bank.

The process really isnt that difficult if you make an appointment and get that document from your embassy. The only cost is the embassy appointment but certainly a lot cheaper than paying an agent.

I guess the only reason i can see to use an agent is if you are not going to be in Bangkok to be able to go to the embassy.

2 minutes ago, bear9 said:

I guess the only reason i can see to use an agent is if you are not going to be in Bangkok to be able to go to the embassy.

First up thanks for the info you posted.

The issue for some is that their embassies do not provide the embassy letter that you refer to.

UK,USA,AU to name some.

This "letter" is alternative to providing certificate of residence from immigration.

In Bangkok that's impossible as to obtain COR you need to have filed a TM47. That's not possible for folk on tourist visa

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

First up thanks for the info you posted.

The issue for some is that their embassies do not provide the embassy letter that you refer to.

UK,USA,AU to name some.

This "letter" is alternative to providing certificate of residence from immigration.

In Bangkok that's impossible as to obtain COR you need to have filed a TM47. That's not possible for folk on tourist visa

I received myn from the British embassy in Bangkok just over a year ago. The visa I was on at the time was the Stv ( special tourist visa) when this visa existed during covid.

If the tourist visa or Metv make a difference to obtain the letter I am not sure 

I've said this many times in the past but always worth repeating

If you've already got an account dont let it be closed accidentally from inactivity or in most cases when the balance falls below the annual debit card fee because as per thread its not easy to open a new one

Happened to me in the 90's but back then easy to open another. Not any more

Edited by Chivas
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to bother you all but

I just got non-O visa (one year) from Savannakhet. What other documents I will need in order to open a Thai bank account. I have also TM30. Do I need residence certificate (how to get it in Chiang Mai)?

Thanks for your help!

3 minutes ago, LingonBerry said:

I just got non-O visa (one year) from Savannakhet. What other documents I will need in order to open a Thai bank account. I have also TM30. Do I need residence certificate (how to get it in Chiang Mai)?

Thanks for your help!

With a ME Non O you could try bank without a certificate of residence.

Suggest Kasikorn as they seem bit more fixable than Bangkok Bank.

Note both those banks partner with WISE for international transfers.

For certificate of residence immigration offices vary.

A TM30 may be sufficient and a lease would be a bonus. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2023 at 6:21 AM, LingonBerry said:

Thanks for your help!

Wow, other people have been posting that they were recently denied a multiple entry non-o in SAV... How recently did you attain one, and did they ask for financials?

• Like 1