Open a Thai bank account on tourist visa

Hi.  I'm sure this topic will already have been covered but can't find it on the site.  I will be visiting Thailand as a tourist with the 6 month visa over the first half of 2024.  Later in 2024 I will apply for the retirement visa from the UK.  I need a Thai bank account for the 80k baht.  Can I open a Thai bank account when I'm there on the tourist visa.  If so, what is required and any suggestions on the best bank/account to use.  Thanks 

• Like 1

It will be very very difficult - albeit not totally impossible - to open a Thai bank-account on a Tourist Visa. 

But doing so would be a necessity when you want to apply at your local Imm Office for the 90-day Non Imm O Retirement Visa from that Tourist Visa.

Note that your plan to apply for such Non Imm O Retirement Visa from UK is not allowed, as the application has to be done when you are in your home-country.

A route without (or with far less) problems would be to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Retirement Visa while still in UK, and with such Visa it would then be far easier to open a Thai Bank-account in the first 2-3 weeks of your arrival.  That needs to be done in those first weeks, so that you can transfer the required 800K.  Those funds need to be seasoned for 2 months, at the moment of application for the 1-year extension of stay based on that 90-day Non Imm O Retirement Visa.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Thailand has made it impossible to open a bank account on tourist visa without use of an agent (need long-term visa to open bank account but need bank account to get long-term visa)

Visited an agent last week for a friend. They wanted 500 baht for a bank required residence certicate and 4500 baht to open bank account with Bangkok Bank. This included 400 baht for ATM card and 300 baht deposit into account (and some random accident Insurance for a year)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Many but not-so-many years ago😉 (20xx) , on visa Waiver, just for a short stay, I got mine done in BB. 20 minutes and walked out with the entire set -  Union Pay card, Passbook etc.

Ah yes, forgot, I was introduced by another person with a nice account in the branch. File closaed in a jiffy and very happy since with the service.

OP should only go by his guts and try mainly in Bangkok touristic areas. . Maybe not with BB but Kasikorn Bank around Nana Plaza could handle,

You will hear all sides of stories from those who really know but hard to say,

those who don't have a damm idea,  but post as if,....

those who don't know  shxx, but will have a good idea

etc. etc etc.

Try for yourself in the Sukhumvit area branches full of tourists and at worse, they will just say NO...or at best, you'll walk out with a passbook and your card.

But check things always for yourself with the place concerned.

Because  Thailand as you know,  there is the rule of the book, another rule specific to the branch office and mainly the rule of God !!

God is he or she behind the counter, handling your request.

If your hotel manager can recommend a branch with whom they deal  and better come with you, introduce you for a few bills, you are sure to get it.

Just remember to bring passport and cellphone. If you get a thai tourist paid SIM (available at airport)  even better as they get a bit cold with foreign numbers.

I would recomend TrueSim but of course somebody will pop up here saying another company  is better as their celliphane wrapping is waterproof 😂

I guess you have read all the banking-related posts from the past year or so. There's been a major shift following the China visas scandal and opening a bank account in Bangkok is much not difficult than it was a year ago let alone 20 years ago. Directive from BoT supposedly.

Siam Legal stopped offering their services for tourists and according to some posts, even in Pattaya an agent will only do it if you have a certain amount of time left on your VE or TR.

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Gotta love that about Thailand....  $100+/- of G&C (graft and corruption) and problem solved. 

I guess the 2 questions are 1) What agency(s) comes recommended (I doubt that can be answered within forum rules) and 2) What, if any, liability does the visa seeker accrue if things go tits up and someone discovers the bank account was dodgily opened?  (Coming from nanny land, my mind always goes there- what if I get caught out...)

The account is not dodgily opened.

The hardest part appears to be getting the residency certificate on tourist visa so for 500 baht from agent is a great deal. You could then try and get bank account yourself with certificate in hand but bank may still ask to see long-term visa?

I suggested to my friend to just pay the 3800 in fees (as 700 is ATM card and deposit) and get it done. The agent also drives him to the bank and submits everything so that's got to make it easier

Btw, I've had a bank account since 2010 and I tried to open another deposit account at same branch and they refused without residence certificate (which I can't get on visa exempt). So people quoting how it was X years ago should probably be ignored 😉

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I think Thailand has made it impossible to open a bank account on tourist visa without use of an agent (need long-term visa to open bank account but need bank account to get long-term visa)

Visited an agent last week for a friend. They wanted 500 baht for a bank required residence certicate and 4500 baht to open bank account with Bangkok Bank. This included 400 baht for ATM card and 300 baht deposit into account (and some random accident Insurance for a year)

That’s wrong you dont need an agent. Heres what you need to do. Make an appointment with your embassy in Bangkok asking for a copy of authentication of your passport. Then take your passport to  Bangkok Bank and they will open it no problems.

Bangkok bank is the only bank that will do it as far as I know but it’s actually a very quick process if you bring that document from your embassy 

• Confused 3

29 minutes ago, bear9 said:

That’s wrong you dont need an agent. Heres what you need to do. Make an appointment with your embassy in Bangkok asking for a copy of authentication of your passport. Then take your passport to  Bangkok Bank and they will open it no problems.

Bangkok bank is the only bank that will do it as far as I know but it’s actually a very quick process if you bring that document from your embassy 

I've never heard of that before as why does having an "authenticated passport" make any difference when you actually need the original passport at the bank? How does that give your address that the banks require?

Even if true, my friend is in Pattaya so agent cheaper, easier and quicker than going to his Embassy in Bangkok and then hoping Pattaya banks accept it

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've never heard of that before as why does having an "authenticated passport" make any difference when you actually need the original passport at the bank? How does that give your address that the banks require?

Even if true, my friend is in Pattaya so agent cost cheaper, easier and quicker than going to his Embassy in Bangkok and then hoping Pattaya banks accept it

Because it’s a requirement the bank asks for when opening a bank account on a tourist visa. It’s a certified copy of your passport I believe is the correct term.

No point asking me why it makes a difference I don’t make the rules. I’m just trying to explain what you need to open a bank account on a tourist visa.

Bangkok bank only the other banks wont look at tourists last time I checked. 

Edited by bear9
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, qwab32 said:

Hi.  I'm sure this topic will already have been covered but can't find it on the site.  I will be visiting Thailand as a tourist with the 6 month visa over the first half of 2024.  Later in 2024 I will apply for the retirement visa from the UK.  I need a Thai bank account for the 80k baht.  Can I open a Thai bank account when I'm there on the tourist visa.  If so, what is required and any suggestions on the best bank/account to use.  Thanks 

If I am reading your post right it sounds like you plan to return to the UK before making the application for a retirement visa.

If that is the the case why not just apply for a multi entry retirement visa straight off, rather than the tourist visa.  It would  give you a year to sort out the bank account and more chance of success with a 12 month visa.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bear9 said:

Strange, the OP is from Britain and it clearly states on the embassy website "This service should not be used to support the opening of a bank account. Read our Living in Thailand guide for information about money and banking in Thailand."

14 hours ago, bear9 said:

Because it’s a requirement the bank asks for when opening a bank account on a tourist visa. It’s a certified copy of your passport I believe is the correct term.

It's actually verification of your Thai address by your embassy.

Currently UK,USA,AU don't provide the "letter" (I'm not referring to income letter by same countries for extensions) 

An alternative is to obtain a certificate of residence from your immigration office.

That would be impossible at CW as for COR they aso required a TM47 to have been made.

For folk looking to transition to a Non O an agent is an option.

If still in home country then obtaining a Non O prior to entering Thailand would enable you to open a Bank Account.

Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn good option especially if you plan to use WISE. 

• Thanks 1

Last week I tried to open an account at SCB,

No Go. Nice lady at the bank; "You need 1 yr visa to open!"

Me; "I can't get it without 800k deposit in the Thai bank".

She; " I'm so sorry but these are our rules...."

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

The hardest part appears to be getting the residency certificate on tourist visa so for 500 baht from agent is a great deal. You could then try and get bank account yourself with certificate in hand but bank may still ask to see long-term visa?

Do note that the Residency Certificate has to include the name of the Bank you want to open an account with so if you got one for KBank & they said no so you wanted to try Bangkok Bank, you’d need a new cert. 

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Many but not-so-many years ago😉 (20xx) , on visa Waiver, just for a short stay, I got mine done in BB. 20 minutes and walked out with the entire set -  Union Pay card, Passbook etc.

Ah yes, forgot, I was introduced by another person with a nice account in the branch. File closaed in a jiffy and very happy since with the service.

OP should only go by his guts and try mainly in Bangkok touristic areas. . Maybe not with BB but Kasikorn Bank around Nana Plaza could handle,

You will hear all sides of stories from those who really know but hard to say,

those who don't have a damm idea,  but post as if,....

those who don't know  shxx, but will have a good idea

etc. etc etc.

Try for yourself in the Sukhumvit area branches full of tourists and at worse, they will just say NO...or at best, you'll walk out with a passbook and your card.

But check things always for yourself with the place concerned.

Because  Thailand as you know,  there is the rule of the book, another rule specific to the branch office and mainly the rule of God !!

God is he or she behind the counter, handling your request.

If your hotel manager can recommend a branch with whom they deal  and better come with you, introduce you for a few bills, you are sure to get it.

Just remember to bring passport and cellphone. If you get a thai tourist paid SIM (available at airport)  even better as they get a bit cold with foreign numbers.

I would recomend TrueSim but of course somebody will pop up here saying another company  is better as their celliphane wrapping is waterproof 😂

Very similar to my first bank account in Thailand over 20 years ago. 

During a visit to my cousin's hotel in Patong, I won 30,000 baht on the "local" mafia lottery. For safety reasons, we went to his local friendly bank manager at Thai Farmers Bank (now Kasikorn). All I had to show was my passport with the valid "30 day" Thai Immigration stamp. The address was my cousin's hotel.  On opening the account, I got a passbook - nothing else.  When I retired to live in Thailand (Lanna) this original account was easily transferred to another Kasikorn branch in Chiang Mai Province having shown proof of new address. From my experience, it is who you know that matters - a policy I have adopted ever since! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Maneerat (Pattaya Soi 13/2 aka Soi Post Office, they’re directly across from the Post Office).

OP, if you want to convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-IMM O (+ 1st 12 Month extension so good for 15 months) In-Country, Maneerat can also do that for 25K…

IMG_5418.jpeg.ecf94460fc938a54497038714908ca95.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Maneerat (Pattaya Soi 13/2 aka Soi Post Office, they’re directly across from the Post Office).

3,700 if < 64 & 4,700 of 74+, both include ATM card & 500b left in you account but do not include a Resident Cert so add on another 500b

Do make sure you have more than 20 days left on your permission to stay. 

IMG_4796.jpeg.15c146ce3993a59896c83e22a56df519.jpeg

I used them in December 2021 to get a "15 month Retirement visa" 😉

Didn't know about all the various card options at BBL when opening my first TH back account so was disappointed later to find out that they'd given me a UnionPay card. Even more disappointed almost a year later when I got a text from BBL saying that we will deduct ฿589 from your account next month for card renewal. Lolwut? 😂

Had to go all the way back from Bangkok to Beach Rd to get a real MasterCard debit card. 

I don't know if UnionPay card is still the default at that branch but worth keeping in mind for anyone that plans to go this route. MC>UP imho.

12 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I don't know if UnionPay card is still the default at that branch but worth keeping in mind for anyone that plans to go this route. MC>UP imho.

I don't know about that particular branch either, but with Bangkok Bank in general, there's a good chance that they try to sign you up for a UnionPay card by default. I had to tell them on more than one occasion, come renewal time, that I have no use for a UnionPay card.

15 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Didn't know about all the various card options at BBL when opening my first TH back account so was disappointed later to find out that they'd given me a UnionPay card

I used Siam Legal (Bangkok) in 2015 to open my account (on a Visa Exempt, staying at my mate’s condo) & was also given a UnionPay card so approx 18 months later I went into my branch (Asok) to ask for a credit card as I needed to be able to shop online in Thailand & they switched me to a Mastercard (Debit) free of charge. 

Have just got my new Mastercard & IIRC it was 300b. 

The 3 guys I know who have opened accounts (Pattaya Beach Road Branch) within the past 18months have all been given Mastercards without asking & they also used Maneerat. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The 3 guys I know who have opened accounts (Pattaya Beach Road Branch) within the past 18months have all been given Mastercards without asking & they also used Maneerat. 

Thanks, that's good to know.