Route advice wanted: Jomtien-Phetchaburi, Samut Songkhram-Ayutthaya

henrik2000

Hello, as a tourist with an economy rental car (like a Toyota Yaris) i will among others drive these routes i'd like your advice about:

1. Jomtien – Phetchaburi town

2. Amphawa (Samut Songkhram) – Ayutthaya City (island)

I had rental cars in Thailand several times before, but not on these routes. Valid for both trips:

• traveling on mid-day workdays

• no idea about smartly using tollways; but on previous holidays paid some tolls just cash – any better way to handle that for a tourist? Not sure if more tollways will follow north of Ayutthaya

• I like very smooth rolling most, even if it costs more highway fees and offers less roadside eyecandy

• No sightseeing from driver's seat wanted – smooth stressfree procedure is all that matters

• But interested in stops: local attractions (not Bang Pa-In) or atmospheric local eateries (up to 6 kms off) (not highway-side eateries, even if good)

• Will be using Google Maps GPS if you don't warn me off against it

Your take?

Below are the routes that Google Maps suggests for daytime trips; instinctively I would avoid the city center – correctly? Your take?

Thank you!

_screen_2023-10-29_202735.jpg.b260fa7e72b1924779fdab311978dfa2.jpg

_screen_2023-10-29_200028.jpg.4d5e95da302bc45660297c7b85522821.jpg

Just stick to Gmap, and you'll be fine.  

Try to avoid rush hour when possible.  Along with going to/from Bangkok, when the weekenders are on the road.  Meaning don't go Jomtien to BKK on Sunday, or BKK to Jomtien on Friday night or Saturday, as domestic tourist will be filling the roads.  Same with hwy # 35  to SS, as weekenders heading to/from Cha Am & Hua Hin.  You want to be going the opposite way, on weekends.

• Like 1