Closing messenger/chat box.

Gandtee

On my laptop Win11,  Chrome. For some reason my menu bar has increased in size and covering the top of the messenger box. Presumably covering the exit box. After sending a message or receiving one I cannot close the box. I'm 90 and the old grey matter is not what it was. Make any answers simple please. Thankyou.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling

17 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Go to zoom and reduce the screen size. Chrome aligns the menu bar with the scale of the display. If you increase the display scale to, say, 125 percent, the Chrome menu bar will increase accordingly. So zoom out until you can see the top of the box.

Thank you. It works, but it decreases the size in stages, not exactly zooming and when it gets down to 38% I can see to close the messenger box but can hardly see the writing. but thanks for your help.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling

The other solution is to decrease the scale of the display. If you currently have it set at 125%, reduce it to 100 and that will solve the problem. Of course, you might not be able to read the text and icons will proportionately smaller. You could then increase the font size through the accessibility settings but that will also increase the size of Chrome's menu bar. So it's a cache-22 as far as Chrome is concerned.

That's why I use Firefox. There's a hack so you can increase the size of the the text without increasing the size of the menu bar.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:28 AM, jaywalker2 said:

The other solution is to decrease the scale of the display. If you currently have it set at 125%, reduce it to 100 and that will solve the problem. Of course, you might not be able to read the text and icons will proportionately smaller. You could then increase the font size through the accessibility settings but that will also increase the size of Chrome's menu bar. So it's a cache-22 as far as Chrome is concerned.

That's why I use Firefox. There's a hack so you can increase the size of the the text without increasing the size of the menu bar.

I'll live with your first suggestion ,but I wonder why it has happened. What was the cause?

• 2 months later...

Screenshot2024-01-24151753.png.f9a05e944c1ed93d405c8e45171b9c1e.pngSorry to labour a point. This is a screen shot of showing why I can't close messages after reading or relpying without reducing to size to 33% and then going back to 50% as Jaywalker helpfully suggested. It's so annoying. There must be someway to get back the whole messenger box that includes X to turn off the message. Not delete it.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Screenshot2024-01-24151753.png.f9a05e944c1ed93d405c8e45171b9c1e.pngSorry to labour a point. This is a screen shot of showing why I can't close messages after reading or relpying without reducing to size to 33% and then going back to 50% as Jaywalker helpfully suggested. It's so annoying. There must be someway to get back the whole messenger box that includes X to turn off the message. Not delete it.

I am 79 and I have a similar problem with Messenger and Chrome though I use Window 10. In the end the easiest way I found with Messenger was to close the Chrome browser and restart it. The messages stay in Messenger after I reboot Chrome, but Messenger stays closed.

I don't like Messenger as, at least for me, it is nothing but a big PITA. Luckily I only get 2 or 3 messages a day in the mornings, and I don't bother with it until the next morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am 79 and I have a similar problem with Messenger and Chrome though I use Window 10. In the end the easiest way I found with Messenger was to close the Chrome browser and restart it. The messages stay in Messenger after I reboot Chrome, but Messenger stays closed.

I don't like Messenger as, at least for me, it is nothing but a big PITA. Luckily I only get 2 or 3 messages a day in the mornings, and I don't bother with it until the next morning.

My profile picture covers the X to exit the message. I'm 90 so not as sharp as I used to be. How do I move my profile picture? Good night:wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

My profile picture covers the X to exit the message. I'm 90 so not as sharp as I used to be. How do I move my profile picture? Good night:wink:

I honestly have no idea. I will look in the morning and see if I have the same problem. Good night to you also.

10 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Messenger for me comes up in Facebook as a separate icon. I looked this morning in settings under Display, Scale and Layout, selected 100%(recommended), but I still couldn't find the exit button. In the end I simply closed Google and restarted it with something else.

I went back to Display, Scale and Layout, and reset mine to 125% where it normally is,

I am sorry that I cannot help you better than that.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Messenger for me comes up in Facebook as a separate icon. I looked this morning in settings under Display, Scale and Layout, selected 100%(recommended), but I still couldn't find the exit button. In the end I simply closed Google and restarted it with something else.

I went back to Display, Scale and Layout, and reset mine to 125% where it normally is,

I am sorry that I cannot help you better than that.

Thankyou.

• Like 1