How to stop turmeric from killing people

Lorry

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

In 2022 Thailand imported 104,162 kg of turmeric from India.  However, this is dwarfed by the 2,189,220 kg from Burma.

https://wits.worldbank.org/trade/comtrade/en/country/All/year/2022/tradeflow/Exports/partner/THA/product/091030

Oh.

From Burma.

Not so long ago, a foreign-owned grocery store opened near my place, catering to the foreigners from South and South East Asia in the area.

They have a lot of foodstuff from Burma. 

Things are tasty, but a bit suspicious (unusual color and texture etc).

How good might official foodstuffs control in Burma be?

• Sad 1

I've being bying and using it in cooking for ages and the packages all say they are from India.

Some back wound pains, highly relieved and many other positive effects. No issues till now.

It is also widely used in the west by local chefs who also get it from India and would be surprising if the local sanitary authorities let any issue go below the radar.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Lorry said:

Oh.

From Burma.

Not so long ago, a foreign-owned grocery store opened near my place, catering to the foreigners from South and South East Asia in the area.

They have a lot of foodstuff from Burma. 

Things are tasty, but a bit suspicious (unusual color and texture etc).

How good might official foodstuffs control in Burma be?

Their beer was OK.

There's so much B.S. around so if you believe there's Lead Chromate in Turmeric from some sources so be it, but its NOT the "tumeric that's killing people".  With current quality control of imports, this is probably just more internet B.S.     Others are intimating:-  check out the supply country. The negative publicity could be originating from a competitive country or just the typical sick bikkies out there.

N.B. The synergistic effect of a small amount of black pepper on Turmeric is well founded as trialled by an Indian scientist in USA  some years back, and a UK pharma company actually acknowledged Turmeric's  efficacy re colon cancer management.  Try it for mild prostate inflamtion and see if you too have a flow like a horse.    Well  - - a small horse.😉

"Keeps" K mentioned Ginger tea which is proably a fairly close relative of Turmeric.

29 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

There's so much B.S. around so if you believe there's Lead Chromate in Turmeric from some sources so be it, but its NOT the "tumeric that's killing people".  With current quality control of imports, this is probably just more internet B.S.     Others are intimating:-  check out the supply country. The negative publicity could be originating from a competitive country or just the typical sick bikkies out there.

N.B. The synergistic effect of a small amount of black pepper on Turmeric is well founded as trialled by an Indian scientist in USA  some years back, and a UK pharma company actually acknowledged Turmeric's  efficacy re colon cancer management.  Try it for mild prostate inflamtion and see if you too have a flow like a horse.    Well  - - a small horse.😉

"Keeps" K mentioned Ginger tea which is proably a fairly close relative of Turmeric.

I have been taking Thai manufactured GMP certified 800/1000mg  per day with 3 black peppercorns for years, simply as possible protection from developing Alzheimers. I read about reputable research on mice years ago which indicated this and even reversed the dementia to a degree. I have also read that Alzheimers cases are relatively low in India which might also support its efficacy. The only health claim for this product is as an antiflatulent. Doesnt work for me in that respect though....555.

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, BenCrew said:

I've been having turmeric milk every morning for the past 6 or 7 years now! Have to say, the lead hasn't yet taken effect

So, it hasn't put lead in your pencil.  Sorry to hear that.  Try sildenafil instead.  

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, Sheryl said:

It definitely grows here, I have it in my garden. But as to what is used commercially, that could be imported.

No idea where the turmeric capsules sold as traditional Thai medicine comes from.

Turmeric root (technically it is a rhizome and not a root) is sold everywhere in Thailand for cooking. I buy mine from Lotus's. I bought some Turmeric powder from Lotus's and it didn't pass the water test so was likely adulterated.

• Sad 1