How Long Has Thailand Been Your Home?

Sir Burr

How long has Thailand been your home?  

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand isn't my home.

I have lived here for almost a decade though.

One wonders: why?

They'd steal the sugar out of your tea.
Far more confidence in the UK to deal with its social and economic problems than this tinpot nation.
Thailand is the most dangerous destination for Britons by a significant margin.

Had a bad day? Bad decade? :o

:D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't vote as Thailand is only really my second home and has been for the past two years. I have met quite a few people like me who spend their summers or winters or weekends or alternate weeks or whatever in Thailand but its not really their first home.

We demand a category in this poll :-)

Bit of a funny poll this.

"How long has Thailand been your home?"

Category #1 : Never been. :o

Oh well why does life have to be logical anyway?

Me? '92 to '04, presently circling round waiting for the right time plus weighing up the alternatives.

I first came in 1993 to work for a couple of months, back in 94 for 3 months and extended till end 97 back every year to be with my Thai girl and now wife and came permanently in 2001 except for some offshore jobs most years.

I have no desire to return to the country of my birth (UK) and my wife doesn't want to live there or have a UK passport.

This is the country where I will live the rest of my life, die and live in the spirit house at the bottom of the garden.

Very interesting stats I have to say. Almost 20% in the 4-6 year bracket.

Would be nice to see more voters to give a better picture, but I think to use the word home it should actually be home. I have never lived anywhere else other than Thailand in the past 5 years, so can safely say that its been my home.

I think the above stats might include too many frequent visitors therefore, giving a poor indication of who actually live here.

Arrived on the day that Suvarnabhumi opened for business. Talk about a baptism of fire! Had visited a year prior to that for a sniff-about. Yeah, I live here but have not been here long enough to regard it as home; perhaps I never will in the "deep-down-inside" sense. I don't know, I certainly don't intend returning and pretty-much burnt my boats before I left. I can't imagine ever taking-out Thai citizenship though, not in my wildest dreams.

Arrived late 1965, flew out to Calcutta on Christmas Day 1965, the passengers were mostly Indian so would not eat the Christmas dinner, I had three!!

I have been back at least 20 times since then but came to stay 2004, last Tuesday was our 3rd wedding anniversary, I can't see myself ever leaving again.

Thailand isn't my home.

I have lived here for almost a decade though.

They'd steal the sugar out of your tea.
Far more confidence in the UK to deal with its social and economic problems than this tinpot nation.
Thailand is the most dangerous destination for Britons by a significant margin.

Had a bad day? Bad decade? :o

Not at all. Immensely enjoyed my time here. Wouldn't still be here if I didn't.

You probably didn't realise that because my posts are tempered with a dose of reality and are not fogged by the rose-tints worn by many of the members here.

Don't call it home because I am not a permanent resident nor am I a Thai citizen.

In the eyes of the authorities here I am just passing through (Non-Immigrant visa) and that suits me just fine.

And you even had to go to three other threads to quote me out of context in order to prove a petty point here...

I fully agree with these sentiments Emperor.

Thailand will never be my home. England used to be my home though I haven't been back for over six years, and I hate to think what it's like nowadays. It'd be nice to find a real home one day. Perhaps Italy? I hope to give it a try and find my Monica Bullucci soon. :D

First stated coming to LOS in 1984 but have only lived here since Nov 1, 06. Since the poll had no place for that time frame I will fudge and call it 2-3 years.

Have just barely learned our way around in that time frame but do call Thai home and still have the rose colored glasses on because we think it is pretty darn nice here. It does have it's faults but I don't think anywhere is perfect or I'd go there. :D

As long as they don't throw me out for being a senile old fart I will be here to the end. (That is unless my wife decides we are going to move) :o

I consider it to be my home, for sure. Just as living in my country of birth (UK) comes with good things and bad, so does living in Thailand. In the UK I was compelled to live within the confines of the law of that country. In Thailand, the same applies, and those laws include visa laws and land ownership regulations. Just because those laws don't suit our farang lifestyles, does not detract from the fact that it is home.

Perhaps we should remember that the laws of this land are designed to protect Thai's, NOT purposefully discriminate against foreigners.

Been here since 1969 straight through. Never left Thailand until 3 years ago when I went to the Philippines with the Thai Lawn Bowls team. Sure caused quite a stir at immigration at the airport! Was supposed to fly business class for the first time in my life and was looking forward to using the Thai Airways lounge. That didn't happen since I had to be greeted by the immigration general on duty that day and also give an interview to the BKK Post for having stayed that long without going out. They did hold the plane a few minutes until I was aboard and was driven to the gate by the immigration big shot and given red carpet treatment, but, I sure would liked to have seen what it was like inside the business lounge. :o

Jesus, 35 years in the same country without travelling. If you had stayed in America, you'd be considered a red neck mate!!!

• 1 month later...