TCL TV with Google TV

Mavideol

Recently bought a TCL TV that came with GOOGLE TV  pre-installed, did the set up by following their suggestions and all went well until the home menu came up and found too many apps that I don't want and would like to remove. Did a web search for help on solving the problem and it appeared simple by clicking on the app for around 3 seconds it should show 2 options to Open and to Move, unfortunately that's not happening, can move them.

The next step was to access Settings and at the General Settings screen select DEVICE PREFERENCES and then HOME MENU again and unfortunately the option of DEVICE PREFERENCES is not available when accessing the Settings, then visited the Google TV help and the same suggestions as mentioned above are there but since I can't access device preferences menu options and sub menu Home Menu I can't make any customization as it appears it has to do with TCL modifying the original/root Google TV, I did access/activate the developer options for USB debugging thinking that could help me solve the issue but still not able to customize anything.

I do have another small TCL TV that came with Android TV and it's much easier to set up and customize as all the device preferences and Home menu re there and available. Maybe there is a simple solution to the problem and I may be making a mistake somewhere but for the sake of it I can't figure it out, I am not nor do I claim to be a TV wizard but this issue is making me wandering what went wrong.

Would appreciate any help if anybody has encountered same/similar problems or if there is a member with good knowledge about Google TV

Thanks

1 minute ago, norbra said:

Try Settings,Apps select an unwanted app then delete and confirm

thanks for the reply, did a couple times, restarted couple times to no success.... the funny thing is that at the beginning my wife (it's her TV) said that option did show up but not anymore, thus she must have done something incorrectly, to solve the problem I did a factory reset and the problem persist

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

thanks for the reply, did a couple times, restarted couple times to no success.... the funny thing is that at the beginning my wife (it's her TV) said that option did show up but not anymore, thus she must have done something incorrectly, to solve the problem I did a factory reset and the problem persist

Maybe look for a "reset defaults" button

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

Maybe look for a "reset defaults" button

did 2 factory reset already, where can I find that "reset buttons".... contacted TCL support by email and they said it would take 3 days to answer, whoww 3 days for a simple question, the other option is to call TCL Thailand in BKK but the guy didn't spoke English and nobody speaks "good enough technical" Thai in my household

Edited by Mavideol

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

did 2 factory reset already, where can I find that "reset buttons"

I have a TCL 55" Smart TV, it is brilliant, but, the sales bloke came to our house and set it all up in Thai & English, even he had to phone TCL to complete the job...😋

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

did 2 factory reset already, where can I find that "reset buttons"

Sorry don't have the same gear as you my reset defaults option is in Settings Advanced.

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

Just now, transam said:

I have a TCL 55" Smart TV, it is brilliant, but, the sales bloke came to our house and set it all up in Thai & English, even he had to phone TCL to complete the job...😋

thanks, the wife selected a 43 " and the bloke at Home Pro didn't know shxx didn't offer to install just told me if any problem call BKK

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Try this....

Settings > apps > see all apps.

Then select the app you wish to delete and select uninstall.

thanks for the feed back....did try that this morning as it was a help topic on the Google TV site, once there at the "All apps" selecting one should highlight that app and should show option to move or to open but neither is showing up, they didn't mention uninstall, I will try again but some apps she wants to delete and some she just wants to move to the front of her menu,

Just now, Mavideol said:

thanks, the wife selected a 43 " and the bloke at Home Pro didn't know shxx didn't offer to install just told me if any problem call BKK

Bought ours at DoHome, we decided on a Samsung, picture was OK and so was the price. The sales bloke said, before you buy look at this TV, he said I like looking at all the TV's I sell here and have my own opinion on them.

So he took us to the TCL section turned on the 55", he was right, the sound and picture were way better in the price bracket.

I have a surround sound system I used with the previous TV's now don't need it, it is that good on its own....:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

thanks for the feed back....did try that this morning as it was a help topic on the Google TV site, once there at the "All apps" selecting one should highlight that app and should show option to move or to open but neither is showing up, they didn't mention uninstall, I will try again but some apps she wants to delete and some she just wants to move to the front of her menu,

You may not be able to uninstall some preloaded system apps.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Bought ours at DoHome, we decided on a Samsung, picture was OK and so was the price. The sales bloke said, before you buy look at this TV, he said I like looking at all the TV's I sell here and have my own opinion on them.

So he took us to the TCL section turned on the 55", he was right, the sound and picture were way better in the price bracket.

I have a surround sound system I used with the previous TV's now don't need it, it is that good on its own....:thumbsup:

he must be working at Home Pro now as the bloke that received us did exactly the same thing and the wife fall for it  555

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

You may not be able to uninstall some preloaded system apps.

thought about that but the apps she wants to remove are not system apps, just regular apps for entertainment, I am going to give it a try after dinner

thanks again

Can't help your Google TV work seamlessly good. But I recommend either just cast your phone to TV or setup an amazon firestick which has much more support and compatibility.firestick even  has mirror casting as a feature if your TV hasn't got it. Reviews all over YouTube. I find TV companies never get their smart TV system right.

6 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Can't help your Google TV work seamlessly good. But I recommend either just cast your phone to TV or setup an amazon firestick which has much more support and compatibility.firestick even  has mirror casting as a feature if your TV hasn't got it. Reviews all over YouTube. I find TV companies never get their smart TV system right.

TV companies have been trying to make 'smart' TVs for a long time and have failed - and they get paid to include Apps in their 'software' OS.

I found that the best way to use a modern TV is just for its picture and sound - disconnect the internet and reset with no net connected.

Connect external devices to the TV via HDMI - Laptop, NVidia and 4K DVD/BluRay player (cheap to buy discs in Thailand 😉)

I use either the Laptop or the NVidia device to access everything on the net and to play online movies etc.

The laptop does all the 'standard' online stuff, and the NVidia is best for the Apps (including Netflix or whatever).

I also have a 4K DVD/BluRay player for those movies I have bought the disc.

I use the latop for playing basic movies, and the NVidia for the 4K ones - using an external SSD drive for their storage.

But nothing beats the picture and sound quality of a 4K Disc - just awesome.

The NVidia device is far better at streaming and is very user friendly, and it can be 'modified' as you wish. 

The laptop is far more flexible and can do a lot of things that the NVidia cannot do (easily).

I have a surround sound system that comes from the TV (fibre out) - so irrelevent what device is the source. 

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

TV companies have been trying to make 'smart' TVs for a long time and have failed - and they get paid to include Apps in their 'software' OS.

I found that the best way to use a modern TV is just for its picture and sound - disconnect the internet and reset with no net connected.

Connect external devices to the TV via HDMI - Laptop, NVidia and 4K DVD/BluRay player (cheap to buy discs in Thailand 😉)

I use either the Laptop or the NVidia device to access everything on the net and to play online movies etc.

The laptop does all the 'standard' online stuff, and the NVidia is best for the Apps (including Netflix or whatever).

I also have a 4K DVD/BluRay player for those movies I have bought the disc.

I use the latop for playing basic movies, and the NVidia for the 4K ones - using an external SSD drive for their storage.

But nothing beats the picture and sound quality of a 4K Disc - just awesome.

The NVidia device is far better at streaming and is very user friendly, and it can be 'modified' as you wish. 

The laptop is far more flexible and can do a lot of things that the NVidia cannot do (easily).

I have a surround sound system that comes from the TV (fibre out) - so irrelevent what device is the source. 

Any good movie sites? 

I use beetv app mainly. 

9 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Any good movie sites? 

I use beetv app mainly. 

Lots of free Apps available - there is even a list of them on the BeeeTV website - I dont use them anymore.

I mainly use an IPTV service that provides movies (many newer ones) and live sports from UK, USA, Aust etc. (and with replay and storage).

It costs money, but it is worth it - very few technical issues and works great 90+% of the time - unlike many freebies I have tried over the years.

19 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

thanks, last night wife did connect her phone and set it up easily, it's working as she wants now