The Gun powder Plot.

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

King James ordered everyone to light a bonfire and place an Effigy of a Catholic on the bonfire

They don't burn Catholics any more, even in effigy, thank goodness. I was amused to see a report that a village in Kent is this year burning an effigy of Sadiq Khan, the much-despised London Mayor, because of his punitive taxation of motorists.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

They don't burn Catholics any more, even in effigy, thank goodness. I was amused to see a report that a village in Kent is this year burning an effigy of Sadiq Khan, the much-despised London Mayor, because of his punitive taxation of motorists.

Not so despised that he hasn't won two  free and fair elections for the role.

Punitive means something different to what you think it means.

• Haha 2

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November lyrics

Remember, remember, the 5th of November,

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent

To blow up the King and the Parliament

Three score barrels of powder below

Poor old England to overthrow

By God's providence he was catch'd

With a dark lantern and burning match

Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring

Holler boys, holler boys

God save the King!

An old nursery rhyme I remember from when I was a little boy.

Edited by billd766
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

And spoil threads.

A couple of comments does not spoil a thread.

Although I have overdone it in a few threads.

I haven't spoiled anything here. You triggered people to bring up V For Vendetta, which is directly linked to your topic. That film was inspired by that incident. 

And I tried to chime in with my philosophical opinion about that film, but sometimes I'm too deep for most of you people. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

His signature is clearly visible as Guido Fawkes and 3 days after he signed the same document but was clearly unable to write his name.

Why would his signature be clearly visible as Guido if his name was Guy?

If it quacks like a duck .

I just watched a video about it. All sorts of red flags. Like they claimed they built a tunnel to Parliament, but then that wasn't true. Forged documents, confessions under torture, spies .... way way way too much intrigue. 

This is almost certainly a distorted historical event for which we will probably never know what really happened.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1

His full name was Guy Fawkes. While fighting for the Spanish they called him Guido. Why is it distorted? Documents are kept in the records written during the plot and the confession signed by Guy Fawkes. Even the letter that was written warning a member to stay away from Parliament that day. It was most likely written by a plot member called Francis Tresham.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

His full name was Guy Fawkes. While fighting for the Spanish they called him Guido. Why is it distorted?

Ok for the name.

It's because I just watched this video ... there seems to be too many weird things about this event.

He concludes that it was a govt conspiracy and that the govt is evil and will stoop to anything.

But I don't believe him and neither am I convinced that we know what really happened.

As far as I'm concerned, it appears to be an historical event shrouded in mystery. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

More Pomp and Pageantry today. The official opening of Parliament the day in 1605 when the Gun powder plot was foiled. The king will arrive at the House of Lords to deliver his speech. He is not allowed to walk through the House of Commons so he uses a different door to enter the House of Lords. Once all the government and all other parties are requested to hear his speech they file from the House of Commons where the Door is slammed shut barring them from Entering The House of Lords. A quirky Historical event then happens " Black Rod " approaches the door and knocks on the door 3 times that's when they are allowed into the House of Lords to hear the King's speech. Since 1605 a member of Parliament checks the Cellers underneath Parliament even to this day.

2 hours ago, lungbing said:

Only two out of the six, that's not even a majority!

We were taught at school:-

Divorced, beheaded, died,

divorced, beheaded, survived.

Yes, that is what I was taught 

My response was mainly due to the king bring incorrect. 

I'm sure Henry VIII would have beheaded more if he'd had too. 🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

A quirky Historical event then happens " Black Rod " approaches the door and knocks on the door 3 times that's when they are allowed into the House of Lords to hear the King's speech.

Sorry, that's not quite correct. Black Rod is sent from the House of Lords to summon the Members of the House of Commons to the Lords. As he approaches the Commons the door is slammed shut, and he (or she, as the present incumbent is female) knocks three times for it to be opened, so that the summons can be issued. Just a symbol of the traditional independence of the Commons from the Monarchy.

• Like 1