Foreigner Arrested at Phuket Airport for 80 Days of Overstay

webfact

19 minutes ago, Denim said:

Moral of the story ..... save yourself the grief and don't overstay.

Or fky from BKK instead of HKT.

Assuming you have the 20k for the fine of course. Jury's still out on that aspect of this and the recent similar case. Immi aren't giving any details so we'll just have to keep speculating like good little AN members.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

If he does not have the cash, does not seem to have some plastic card to charge the fine to, what is the point of starting such an ordeal?

Don't overstay, simple as that. 80 days is taking the pjss, now they are having a laugh.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Looking at the photo, you might think they had arrested a global criminal mastermind, not some tourist who overstayed his visa.

Quite so and why does it take 6 officers to arrest one guy, complete overkill?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's happened a few time recently It used to be get to the airport pay your 20,000 and they were good to go, now they are getting arrested and taken to the police station, so that would mean they also miss their flights?  

You are assuming that he had a flight. I didn't see any reference to that in the news report.

He could have been the Russian guy who was begging when I was there in September.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

The check in staff normally only check the data page, on the passport, to ensure the name and picture on the passport is the same as the person flying, also expiry of the passport. I have never seen them flick thru the pages! Sometimes they need to check for a valid visa for your destination.

They always checked before, every time I've had an overstay going back decades (before they decided to make a big deal out of it) they knew at the checking desk. I know this as I've had several overstays in the past.

Edited by ukrules
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You are assuming that he had a flight. I didn't see any reference to that in the news report.

He could have been the Russian guy who was begging when I was there in September.

He might have been simply some dude who decided risking picking up a pal at the airport. There is no reference to him trying to depart. It says ''arrested at the airport''. Could've been in a coffee bar.

Edited by BusyB
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Clearly 80 days overstay requires arrest. He was way out of order and even if have 20k money in hand Thai Immigration are not going to smile and say ok on you go. They are going to say we need to detain and interview you and find out  why you stayed so long.  

Not exactly.... it's been, they smile and take your money (with no receipt) and you're on your way. It's been like this for decades now.

However, if caught before the airport then yes arrested and IDC, court. 

It would be interesting to know the facts.

Did he have a flight?

The 20k?

Did he try to check in ?

Why did they cover his face?  

Why no nationality?  Must be chinese.

Is it going to happen if 5, 10, 20 30 day overstay?  

My 2nd trip I  overstayed a few days.  I got my 30 day extension a few days earlier than i planned and I wasn't so careful counting the total days between flights. 

Its  not so easy for a beginner to calculate the thai business days, 14 hr time change and all.   I recall the sting of 8-10 k and thinking of much better ways i could have spent that baht on

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The point is you have over-stayed and therefore will be fined..

turn up at the airport pleading poverty doesn't cut-it.

That is a given.

My point is about it being a waste of time and resources for the authorities and an unnecessary inconvenience for the Farang. IF it was simply a case of someone exiting the country with overstay - I am sure that there could be reciprocal arrangements for payment with the miscreants embassy. Surely, the Thais will want such a visitor out of their country asap.

As I said, I feel that there is more to this situation than has been reported.

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No...and we don't have the full story. Everybody already knows that if you get picked up on overstay you are detained.

I think there is more to this story.

Sorry you don't understand what "deterrent" means. Try a Google search.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sorry you don't understand what "deterrent" means. Try a Google search.

Don't be an idiot - of course I do.

This is not a deterrent in isolation. Everyone should be aware than overstaying carries the risk of detention if you are 'picked up' by the authorities. 

That has never applied to people at the airport who cough up their 500 Baht a day/20,000 Baht. If they can't do that then detention is a known consequence. That may be the case here because if he had the ability to pay the overstay he would not have been detained.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:07 PM, ukrules said:

Odd pattern emerging here, if you get to the airport you can leave.

The check in desk know you're on overstay the moment they see your passport.

What happens next?

Do the police still pay rewards for reporting overstayers?

They don't pay for overstay reporters.

There is no change and you still can pay the maximum of 20.000 Baht at the airport when you have overstay.

The check-in counter does not check your visa stay, only your personal details and pasport expiration date.

Without knowing the facts we don't know why he was arrested.

- Maybe no money to pay the fine.

- Disrespecting the officers.

- at the aiport for a different reason.

there could be a lot of reasons.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:00 AM, impulse said:

Assuming that's the reason, he probably thought the officers would have a soft streak and let him through. 

If that is the case, this incident serves as a good cautionary tale for anyone in the same position.  Bring money...  Have someone from home send it to you if you have none.

Of course, it may be something else completely.  The linked article has no details.

Edit:  On a side note, what forms of payment does immigration accept at the airport like that?  Someone tuned in here knows...

Cash only.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Don't be an idiot - of course I do.

This is not a deterrent in isolation. Everyone should be aware than overstaying carries the risk of detention if you are 'picked up' by the authorities. 

That has never applied to people at the airport who cough up their 500 Baht a day/20,000 Baht. If they can't do that then detention is a known consequence. That may be the case here because if he had the ability to pay the overstay he would not have been detained.

Everybody should be aware, but was he? Or perhaps he thought he'd just get a years ban and be on his way. Hence the deterrent factor, if you don't pay you go into detention until you do. You replied that no, you couldn't see this.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

That is a given.

My point is about it being a waste of time and resources for the authorities and an unnecessary inconvenience for the Farang. IF it was simply a case of someone exiting the country with overstay - I am sure that there could be reciprocal arrangements for payment with the miscreants embassy. Surely, the Thais will want such a visitor out of their country asap.

As I said, I feel that there is more to this situation than has been reported.

Embassies will not get involved, they over-stayed, broke immigration law and therefore must face the music.

They certainly will not get involved in negotiations for fines to be paid at a later date.

If Immigration turned a blind eye to exiting  tourists who overstayed, every back-packer in the country would extend their holiday and turn up skint at the airport, setting a presidance that no fines are applicable.

Immigration will never do that... nor should they.