Pulled By Police

On my way from Nakhon Sawan to BKK on Friday I was happily keeping pace with a pair of mini buses who were doing 100kph.

Unseen by me on a bend were the traffic police who let the mini buses go through but gave me a pull.

Asked if I knew I was doing 100kph, I agreed I was.

The police wanted 400 Baht.

The g/f talked to the police and next thing I knew was, the officer pointed to the speedo and said 90!!

Seems she insisted on paperwork to pay the fine at her own local station. When asked why she had told them she had family police.

So, no fine :o

More to the point is that the g/f is adamant that the mini buses and others like them pay the police as a 'company' so do not get stopped. I am not sure how much fact there is in this, but it is damned annoying to see them sail through roadblocks etc. And it isn't the first time I have seen it happen.

2 years ago I hired a driver and his pick up (newish Vigo) for a few days trip up to Buriram. Negotiating a sweeping left hand bend going uphill there was a police roadblock. Now in front of us was another pick up on Pattaya plates (ours were bangkok). He may, if he had any eqqupment, have been able to assess the speed of the first vehicle but he could not have done ours. He apparently wanted Bt500 but I told our guy that it was his problem so I never found out what it really was. I get stopped for doing 130kpm and am prepared to pay Bt100 each way for the privilage of going as fast as I want.

The first time I got stopped my wife insisted that I pay the fine even though I wasn't speeding. On giving the officer (######) the money he walked away. I asked for a receipt and was told if I wanted one I was to go to the police station in Buriram, 70 k's away. I bit my tongue and drove off.

I've been stopped a couple of times since and refused to pay until I've seen the speed camera. Every time the police back down. Also where ever I go now I take my camera and if I get anymore trouble, as per the first incident, I will take photo's of the officer involved.

In one incident I asked "where is the speed camera" and the officer (######) said "800 m up the road". I got out the vehicle and said I was going to walk back and have a look. He backed down giving me a warning to drive slower in the future.

Unless they can actually show you the speed camera, refuse to pay. If you do pay make sure he writes the ticket before you give him the money

The Thai police think they're doing a mighty fine job by standing on the shoulder and pulling cars over. :D

Oh how I used to love to drive...

The Thai road system is a dangerous joke. We almost got killed by an 18 wheel truck approaching a busy u-turn dangerously fast yesterday and on the way back I almost killed a motorcyclist with no lights. I am not a bad driver, not at all. I am convinced that with all the near misses in 4 years, my time is due, that is why I'm moving out of here (along with a child on the way who will not have to experience the education system here). It never takes more than a few minutes after leaving the house before you see some crazy stunt. Sometimes I can't even leave the village before coming face to face with a driver cutting corners, most of them do it. I just can't stand all these pricks driving dangerously and getting heat for honking the horn. Apparently I should not let them know they are a menace to other drivers. :o

Once back home last evening, I took my driver's licence out of my wallet, gave it to my wife and told her I'd never drive here again. She's holding on to it so that I can.... apply for an INTL licence and drive elsewhere. In the meantime, I'll stick to the motorcycle around the village and that's it.

Edited by Tony Clifton

The Thai police think they're doing a mighty fine job by standing on the shoulder and pulling cars over. :D

Oh how I used to love to drive...

The Thai road system is a dangerous joke. We almost got killed by an 18 wheel truck approaching a busy u-turn dangerously fast yesterday and on the way back I almost killed a motorcyclist with no lights. I am not a bad driver, not at all. I am convinced that with all the near misses in 4 years, my time is due, that is why I'm moving out of here (along with a child on the way who will not have to experience the education system here). It never takes more than a few minutes after leaving the house before you see some crazy stunt. Sometimes I can't even leave the village before coming face to face with a driver cutting corners, most of them do it. I just can't stand all these pricks driving dangerously and getting heat for honking the horn. Apparently I should not let them know they are a menace to other drivers. :D

Once back home last evening, I took my driver's licence out of my wallet, gave it to my wife and told her I'd never drive here again. She's holding on to it so that I can.... apply for an INTL licence and drive elsewhere. In the meantime, I'll stick to the motorcycle around the village and that's it.

I agree with the danger and near misses that occur on a daily basis.

There is so much heartache and distress going on and no one seems to be motivated to clamping down and re educating the masses.

Last week my daughter came home from school telling me yet another young life has gone. ( M.5 ) She was well upset by it.

Seems the girl / young woman was on a motorbike driven by her older sister when a taxi decided to turn left, hit the bike and killed the younger one.

Two days later a nine year old boy was run over by a speeding car which continued on it,s journeyleaving him dead.

So very sad and please posters who may feel the need, spare me the T.I.T crap.

marshbags :bah: and :D

If i may be allowed to make an unrelated observation, please.

Sorry to note you are moving out T.C. as you are an asset to the various forums and you always add a bit extra to the threads.

Serious stuff and humorous :o

I,m sure many members will wish you well when you do go, while hoping you don,t stop posting the occasional update and observation, should you have time.

Please...........................

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Travelling on the Thai roads scares the cr#p outta me. Especially by Minibus.

I would have thought Plod catching speeding motorists and / or those driving like an idiot would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I would be quite happy if the Thai Plod did put some effort into enforcement of traffic laws and to be honest whether the fines ended up in the Pocket or Police Station would be a secondary consideration for me..........

Travelling on the Thai roads scares the cr#p outta me. Especially by Minibus.

I would have thought Plod catching speeding motorists and / or those driving like an idiot would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I would be quite happy if the Thai Plod did put some effort into enforcement of traffic laws and to be honest whether the fines ended up in the Pocket or Police Station would be a secondary consideration for me..........

In order to do that, they'd need to patrol the roads, not stand on the curb. I guess no fuel budgets are allowed as most of it would end up in their pockets as they already do with most of the fines they collect, fines that could provide for a fuel budget.

By the looks of it, Bangkok will have it's first patrol car in a decade or two, maybe three. Don't be fooled by the maroon and yellow cars, they are used to drive brass around and more important stuff than catching idiot drivers. Overpriced fire engines seemed to be a priority. There isn't even a database where any driving licence could be verified, seems unlikely, I have never heard it mentioned anywhere. Suan Pluu immigration officers are still writing down information in ledgers...

2 years ago I hired a driver and his pick up (newish Vigo) for a few days trip up to Buriram. Negotiating a sweeping left hand bend going uphill there was a police roadblock. Now in front of us was another pick up on Pattaya plates (ours were bangkok). He may, if he had any eqqupment, have been able to assess the speed of the first vehicle but he could not have done ours. He apparently wanted Bt500 but I told our guy that it was his problem so I never found out what it really was. I get stopped for doing 130kpm and am prepared to pay Bt100 each way for the privilage of going as fast as I want.

And happily kill, injure and maim along your way. Great.

First of all................

Until they stop the mindset of ALL drivers ( and passengers ) responsible for what " torrenova " openly admits to doing on a regular basis, tears up the old buck passing and thus buying the potential of legalised death and maiming by subscription.

Secondly the authorities starts and enforces re education and in turn ensures realistic penalties that really are a punishment.

i.e.

Banning and prison terms for the more serious and repeat offences. along with a points system that will act as a realistic warning.

They will never have a hope in hel_l of putting and end to the daily misery

Yes i know this is Thailand but unless they get real about the situation the breeding of future offenders who think they can do what they like by passing a few Baht will continue to increase and cause the untold misery it brings with it all.

IMHO as always.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

On my way from Nakhon Sawan to BKK on Friday I was happily keeping pace with a pair of mini buses who were doing 100kph.

Unseen by me on a bend were the traffic police who let the mini buses go through but gave me a pull.

Asked if I knew I was doing 100kph, I agreed I was.

The police wanted 400 Baht.

The g/f talked to the police and next thing I knew was, the officer pointed to the speedo and said 90!!

Seems she insisted on paperwork to pay the fine at her own local station. When asked why she had told them she had family police.

So, no fine :o x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac says:

I have 345,000 km on my 1989 Toyota pickup and about 200,000 km on my 1996 Toyota van, no "real" accidents so far.  One dog, a few scrapes.  Run-ins with the traffic police now and then.

I do have a Thai driving permit, also one from Oregon, left home, and IDPs, both current and expired, from the Oregon AAA.

I keep an EXPIRED IDP in the visor pocket above my head when on the road, the current one in my bag.  If/when stopped by a cop, pull out the expired one and show it.  Usually this confuses the guy enough that after a bit of smiling on my part, forgetting how to speak Thai, I'm waved on.  

Sometimes when the guy starts telling me the difference between baht 500 or baht 1,000 fine down at the station, or baht 200 "fine" on the spot, I tell him I've got time, no problem, how about he goes with me as I don't know where the station is!  I then pull out my maps and start thumbing through, all along smiling, nodding, and being generally pleasant.  I ask him to show me where to go, normally he doesn't know how to read a map, so that's a loser.

After some time, five minutes normal, of the cop seeing potential payers of on-the-spot fines winging by and not getting stopped 'cause he's busy with me, he waves me on.  I give a large "thank you" and proceed.

Only one guy has recognized that I've given an expired IDP, he's often located a the last toll both on the Don Muang Tollway, the down ramp before the Rangsit area.  If I see him these days, he just waves me on....

Mac

More to the point is that the g/f is adamant that the mini buses and others like them pay the police as a 'company' so do not get stopped. I am not sure how much fact there is in this, but it is damned annoying to see them sail through roadblocks etc. And it isn't the first time I have seen it happen.

Until they stop the mindset of ALL drivers ( and passengers ) responsible for what " torrenova " openly admits to doing on a regular basis, tears up the old buck passing and thus buying the potential of legalised death and maiming by subscription.

Secondly the authorities starts and enforces re education and in turn ensures realistic penalties that really are a punishment.

i.e.

Banning and prison terms for the more serious and repeat offences. along with a points system that will act as a realistic warning.

Yes i know this is Thailand but unless they get real about the situation the breeding of future offenders who think they can do what they like by passing a few Baht will continue to increase and cause the untold misery it brings with it all.

IMHO as always.

marshbags

Wishful thinking Marsh, it only happens in over-regulated, nanny-state countries like the UK and US :o

marshbags

They do have a points system.

I got 40 yesterday :o

Apparently 100 gets rewarded with a ban.

Cheers

i.e.

IMHO as always.

marshbags

Wishful thinking Marsh, it only happens in over-regulated, nanny-state countries like the UK and US :o

I know J.K., sadly, but one can only hope it will come to pass or some other sure fire detriments can be enforrced.

I dream of U.K. driving standards being the normal everyday executions here in Thailand.

Yes i know this isn,t U.K. but in the name of whatever one wishes to term it, it would surely be worthwhile.

Oh how the cause of cutting the shameful and tragic road deaths and injuries need a similar U.K. driving enviroment, especially for all the young victims and their families.

I cannot compare to the U.S. from an experienced driver point of view on their roads, apart from their obvious, equal concerns and legislating of safer driving standards along with the unacceptabliity of the " horrific waste of life " that Thailand seems oblivious to or seemingly care about.

Having just returned from a road trip to N.Khai and had several near misses once again it just re enforces my desperate desire to see the authorities actively make a start.

How i managed to avoid a young lady on a motor bike that cut in front of me while making a legalised u turn opposite the Grand Hotel ( well near enough ) i,ll never know, but thank god i was able too.

She came down my inside and just managed to sneek in front of me while i was double checking it was safe to go, not only that but she decided to stop and leave me half out and half in and seriously exposed to the flow of the oncoming traffic.

Not for the faint hearted as we all know to well, i,m again sad to say.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags