HPV vaccination drive: Thailand aims to inoculate 1 million young women

webfact

image.jpeg

The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) in Thailand is on a mission: to vaccinate one million young women against the human papillomavirus (HPV) within 100 days. This ambitious initiative is part of a national campaign aiming to safeguard the health of the country’s female population.

The campaign’s life-saving work began at Plookpanya School in Phuket Town, where 200 female students were the first to receive their HPV vaccinations. This local endeavour, aptly named Save our School Children, was spearheaded by PPHO Chief Dr Kusak Kukkiattikoon.

HPV, a term used for a widespread group of viruses, usually doesn’t cause any issues for most individuals. However, certain strains can lead to conditions such as genital warts or cancer. The UK’s National Health Service (NHS) provides further insight, noting that HPV affects the skin and comes in over 100 varieties. Some of these can impact the mouth, throat or genital area and can be transmitted through any skin-to-skin contact.

Importantly, HPV often presents no symptoms, so many individuals may not even know they are carriers. This makes the vaccination campaign all the more crucial. Dr Kusak’s message is clear: Knowledge, prevention, early detection, and treatment are key to staying safe from cancer.

by Mitch Connor

Photo: PPHO

Full story: [source name + source link] 2023-11-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Only one dose is needed.  More isn't better, but it does make Merck more revenue. Link to research below.
I'd give it to my own teenaged kids (if I had any), but only one dose.  There are numerous lawsuits in the US regarding Gardasil, but lacking other independent research on adverse effects (which I can't find) I'd in this case agree that the benefits outweigh the risks.  But again, I'd limit it to one shot.

Research regarding HPV vaccine dosage: 
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(21)00453-8/fulltext