Getting Internet Access In Pattaya

noBuzz

Hi,

I have recently moved in to Pattaya and rent a small house here (soi bongkot).

I'm currently using a 56k modem to connect to the internet out of my home and i am waiting for the ADSL to be installed in my area. The very lovely lady over at TToT promised me that my area would be covered by 1/7. As i called them today however, they said august/sept.

Needless to say, i'm about to go ballistic and im acctually considering moving to a new location.

Am I really out of options here? Are there no other suppliers for ADSL / "above-modem-speed" - internet?

With hopes of gentle guidance from seasoned expats,

NoBuzz

Check out if there are TT&T lines available in Soi Bongkot. They have an office on Naklua Road and on the first floor in Carrefour. Also ask if they support ADSL in that area.

IPTV (oneway sat, uplink is modem, downlink is ubc sized satellite dish) works very good once you have it configured correctly.

IPSTAR (two-way satellite, 1.2 meter solid dish) works good for downloads, but websites seem to come through slowly mainly because of big satellite lag(huge distance roundtrip) Not good for online gaming (including chess etc. because of these long reaction times)

Both systems can perform as advertised when they are set up correctly but they are expensive as you pay per downloaded Mb at around 2 Baht/Mb.

Surfing is cheap, downloading terrible expensive, e.g. one MP3 comes at around 8 Baht, 1 divx(600Mb)movie at around 1500 Baht!!!

Cheaper to buy what you need on CD's !!!

Speeds are OK and very consistent, a 60 Mb download took me exactly 29 minutes yesterday (over iptv).

Monty

Hi Monty!

Thanks for your reply. I think i will need to look into the IPStar package and see if i can try it out somewhere.

I'm on a TT&T line right now, but ADSL isn't supported in my area in Soi Bongkot (accordning to the ppl at Carrefour & TT&T website).

The connection over the phoneline isn't that stable and my modem reconnects about 20 times a day. Connection speeds are a blast too.. i've never had more than 45 kb/s and often get 16.8/19.2/24 etc. I've noticed a reduction in speed and more frequent reconnects as the wind picks up (apart from once when i think it was a bird that took a break and s(h)at on the cable).

This makes me wonder about the ADSL too, should they cover my area anywhere soon. I guess the ADSL would drop alot too.

Thanks alot for the information.

Best regards,

NoBuzz

I'm on a TT&T line right now, but ADSL isn't supported in my area in Soi Bongkot (accordning to the ppl at Carrefour & TT&T website).

The connection over the phoneline isn't that stable and my modem reconnects about 20 times a day. Connection speeds are a blast too.. i've never had more than 45 kb/s and often get 16.8/19.2/24 etc. I've noticed a reduction in speed and more frequent reconnects as the wind picks up (apart from once when i think it was a bird that took a break and s(h)at on the cable).

Same-Same Me :D

I'm near "noBuzz" in a townhouse just E. of Soi Bongkot on Soi Arunothai near Nirun Granville & Shagwell Mansions. I've had exactly the same experience as noBuzz. Connections lasting no more than a minute and then sometimes several hours. My last phone bill was 1000 baht and almost all of that was for 3 baht dial-up calls. :o

Additionally I get "cannot find server" when clicking on a new URL or - "page unavailable" (or whatever the verbage is) when clicking on a new page in the same URL. And yet there still appears to be a connection. This happens in both IE & Firefox and the only solution I've found is to re-boot.

I've also had a major problem connecting to various ISPs. I'm now using a 30 day package from TT&T (T-net by CAT) at 335 baht - purchased at their Carrefour office. I tried a loxinfo package and it worked fine for a few days so I signed on for a loxinfo monthly contract. I could never make the connection work. Consistently got ERROR 691 "Access denied - username and /or password was invalid on domain." Then I started getting the same with the loxinfo package!

And the same slow speeds. Max of 46 down to 9. McAfee reads the 46 as ~25.

TT&T says it'll be 6 months before the ADSL is available for my phone.

-redwood

>Additionally I get "cannot find server" when clicking on a new URL or -> "page unavailable" (or whatever the verbage is) when clicking on a > new page in the same URL. And yet there still appears to be a >connection. This happens in both IE & Firefox and the only solution >I've found is to re-boot.

To me this rather sounds like a dodgy DHCP server at the provider side. Try ->Network Connection -> <yourdialinconnection> ->TCPIP settings -> repair. And see if this fixes the problem (temporarily).

PS: Shagwell Mansions LOL. I love this name! In Pattaya!!!

Sunny

>Additionally I get "cannot find server" when clicking on a new URL or -> "page unavailable" (or whatever the verbage is) when clicking on a > new page in the same URL. And yet there still appears to be a >connection. This happens in both IE & Firefox and the only solution >I've found is to re-boot.

To me this rather sounds like a dodgy DHCP server at the provider side. Try ->Network Connection -> <yourdialinconnection> ->TCPIP settings -> repair. And see if this fixes the problem (temporarily).

PS: Shagwell Mansions LOL. I love this name! In Pattaya!!!

Sunny

Sunny, I owe you one :D Drinks, dinner, bar-fine - up to you :o

Tried your instructions last night and for the first time in weeks I've had _relatively_ decent Net surfin'.

Couldn't find "repair" per your pathway (there seem to be variations of OS & software???) but nevermind. I simply unchecked TCPIP and then clicked "install" though I don't install anything and then recheck the TCPIP box and reboot and I'm ok for some hours. In other words I don't know why it works but it does.

Thanks again,

-redwood