5 People - Pay Me 5000 Baht

Was moving house at the week-end, my car full, with a pick up in tow, relatively well packed heading on the toll way from Petchburi, going to the bangna-trad toll gate entrance.

Cop sees of course a good opportunity ( falang + moving ) to make some money, pulls us over at the toll gate. Kinda invents a few breaches of the law ( Kap rot keng - which could mean anything) see's me with 4 locals (helping me move ) and insists we pay 5000 baht (1000 for each of us ) or he will impound the car and lock us up (clear case if extortion here ) and has the balls to say it to our faces as if we are subservient to him.

Locals asked him for mercy ( in a nice way ) and offered him 500 baht, which he refused. Rain was on the way, and having a TV and matress etc wet was not an option. Told him to make up his mind and charge us, or let us move on, and the prick got even more upset " how could a falang talk like this to a Thai" where his comments to the guys behind my back. Called my father in law ( great man by the way ) who is well connected and tried to have the cop talk to daddy -in -law. Cop refused to take the call, tell his name, ID or where we were. " Ja kengkan gap pom roo plaow? ". Told him if he did not talk on the phone, and my stuff got wet, he will have a very interesting time explaining it at police head quarters tomorrow morning.

He finally took the line, and after daddy-in-law was done with him it was Krap krap krap and Pom ja doo leh kau dee dee krap etc. all the way. After hanging up, the prick told us to go........ could not let this one ride, asked him if he wants us to go, or still pay the 5000 baht ? Go go was the answer, asked hiim a few times just to be sure I understood correctly ( which i did from the get go ) . Security guard sitting in the back had a big grin

Talked with the locals who were helping me move. They were elated that for once the cops got the short end of the stick. They told me (they move alot of things ) that they get harassed alot in such a manner by the cops, but never 5000 baht. (feel sorry for them ). At the end of the day, this cop lost face big time infront of 4 movers, a falang and a security guard.

Punishment enough. Hope he thinks twice before praying on falangs again, and if not, avoid the toll gate as he might take his wrath on you :o

I would seriously think of trading in your vehicle(s) if i were you, just in case he took the plate numbers.

hel_l hath no fury than a Thai policeman who has lost face BIG time .......especially to a falang, and moreso in the presence of other Thais !!!!!

Penkoprod

Yup. Wife's very close friend is the wife of one of the top police generals. Though to be honest, I once invoked this very cockily, and he still wouldn't let me go without at least 100 tea money, though he took it sheepishly. What balls. :o But, don't threaten this unless you can make good with a phone call.

Edited by chinthee

had kind of same situation. unfortunatly family poor and no connections,needed to pay double double...

Its simple. They gamble..if they success they get a lot. if not..so nothing..he is still working in the same work place same duty and go further in the same routine..

you like ??? :o (thai blank smile)

But, don't threaten this unless you can make good with a phone call.

Fully agreed, was not going to call his bluff without being 100% sure .

Taking plate numbers, good luck to him. Doubt it and it does not worry me.

Having "get out jail cards" are always handy. My personal perception is I am ok with paying a few tips if required, after all the cops have to buy their own bullets/ guns and accessories from their "salary" . Live and let live is my motto. Would not bother other people for 100 or 200 baht. But when they think they can play god and arbitrarily demand 5000 baht .... gets my back up against the wall. Time for "air support".

Guess he has licked his wounds and moved on to creaming others.

good work.

I've got a policy of calling the coppers bluff. Fine me, or piss off. If I'm in the wrong, I'm happy to cop the official fine.

If not, then I waste their time until they wave me along.

I've had 2 fines and about 3 wave-on's in my life.

If I'm in the wrong, I'm happy to cop the official fine.

Normally the same for me, I dont pay ( once in 13 years ). In this case, with 2 tv's (one plasma), stereo set, a matress and some other stuff in the back of the pick-up with the rain clouds rolling in, it kinda gives u an incentive to get this sorted out quickly...... :o

Were the guys outside in the back of the truck? IIRC, I heard it was an offence (B1,000 fine) for people to travel unrestrained in the back of trucks on the tollways. As an unconnected farang, is this true and being enforced?

If I'm in the wrong, I'm happy to cop the official fine.

Normally the same for me, I dont pay ( once in 13 years ). In this case, with 2 tv's (one plasma), stereo set, a matress and some other stuff in the back of the pick-up with the rain clouds rolling in, it kinda gives u an incentive to get this sorted out quickly...... :o

yeah, dunno what I'd be able to do in the same situation if I didn't have someones phone number to call as well.

Its truly amazing ya know. I have a pickup, and a kinda (to me anyway) expensive car. The pickup i like to drive most, because its cheaper on fuel!

I get stopped by the BIB often in the truck, always wanting their 200THB. I have no problem with oiling the wheels of justice, as it were. However, in my car, which i drive more regularly i have been stopped only ONCE. That time resulted in the same scenario as mentioned by the OP. I would normally have paid the tea money, but that day i was not in a good mood for some reason and wasnt gonna do so. The cop asked my Thai business partner if i was the BIG boss, and basically indicated that he should cow-tow to him. It resulted in a big shouting match between my partner and the police fellow. This resulted in my calling the 'get out of jail' telephone number and lots of humble apologies.

I guess its the same story gonna run and run.

In fact, once, when my car was in for service we were out looking in a rather expensive moo-baan that we liked the look of for a house to rent. I was driving my truck. After asking the security guard if he knew whether any of the houses were available for rent, his answer was, "I dont know. Its very expensive here." I screamed out of there! Went back the next day in the car and got a much more receptive answer from the same guy. Never did rent a house in that moo-baan!

So where are you likely to get stopped in Thailand? From my experience it's always the same places, same cops. This weekend it was the army checkpoint near the ferry turnoff in Trat. Cop pulled me over and it was going to be the same bulls**t conversation I have always experienced where I usually end up bargaining it down to 60 baht or whatever crumbs I have in my pocket (I never show them my wallet). Arguing can have a negative result and I did not insult my Thai friends by ringing them up over a matter of a few baht. This time I could not be bothered and I slowly inched forward and drove off, with a police whistle fading in the distance. On the way back I took the slip road and avoided the checkpoint and the same cop. It's not the first time I have driven off. However, you would probably be best advised to keep a small stash of green notes in your pocket to save yourself the hassle. I totally agree that paying the fine is the best option for Thailand and this can usually be negotiated too, in the station. However, finding the station in a provincial area and waiting in line is a drag.

Keep some small notes in your pocket (a hundred is a lot, I've got away with 60 the last few times), never show your wallet, don't argue, smile and it will all be over in seconds. Speaking in Thai helps sometimes, however if you show no understanding whatsoever this can also be fruitful. A range of different strategies helps. I have quoted a famous friend before, but this does not always work.

My favourite places to be stopped 2007, sorry if they are not very specific

Anyway, tollway (bangkok end) of the Bangkok-Chonburi overhead expressway. Sometimes under expressway also, if on a bike.

Police box at corner of Silom Road / Rama 4

Sukhumvit near Prakanong (mainly bikes)

Trad - near the 'big mushroom' (a new one on me)

highway near Kanchanaburi

Numerous others, but I forget the locations. I don't get stopped much, I just drive a lot and I have a nice car and a white face.

The expressway cops are by far the greediest. The last time I went on the expressway on the way to old Don Meaung I got fined for 'stopping to ask for directions'. I got my directions but it cost me B60, or 'chang two bottles' said the cop.

Cheers!

Thanks for the story of Thai civilisation. One day in the US you will be able to negotiate in the same manner instead of paying $300 for allegedly straying over a yellow line or going the speed limit. It is so great living in a country where the law enforcement personnel are so easily influenced by a phone call or 60 baht. I hate returning to the US and spending my time driving looking fearfully in the rear view mirror. Another win for Thailand!

I have driven through the tollgates at Bangna so many times over the past 20 years.   On a number of occassions I have been stopped for no reason and on finding out that it was no reason,  and after giving a clear photocopy of my driving license to the police man to keep I have driven away. After all the times they have been given a copy of my driving license, no one has ever come to my home address, which is clearly listed on the driving license to apprehend me!

Tips:

Don't pull over out of the traffic stream at the Bangna gate

Don't speak Thai for any reason

Don't give your real driving license as it will be used to bribe you.  Give a copy!

Don't get angry with the cop

Don't break the law

Normally I just smile and wave at the cop if he wants to stop me.

Do have a real Thai driving license

Do have road tax and insurance up to date

Do smile as you plant the foot and leave him frantically writing down your license plate details

I have acted in this manner with the Bangna boys and other cops more times than I care to remember.  After all the times they have written down my license plate number no one has ever come to the address the vehicle is registered at for any reason!

BB

PS now you know why they call me BAD

Edited by Badbanker

were the people in the back of the pickup on the expressway?

The law is cannot have people in the back on the expressway as far as i know, this is what i was informed when i was moving when we stopped at the toll gate going from Rangsit to Ekamai

Were the guys outside in the back of the truck? IIRC, I heard it was an offence (B1,000 fine) for people to travel unrestrained in the back of trucks on the tollways. As an unconnected farang, is this true and being enforced?

Nope. They wanted to, but I told them to secure everything, and sit in the cabin as I know sitting in the back is a "come get pocket money" signal.

could not let this one ride, asked him if he wants us to go, or still pay the 5000 baht ? Go go was the answer, asked hiim a few times just to be sure I understood correctly

Well, maybe childish, but I was quite pissed off by this point. Reminds me of that movie with Dustin Hoffman and the teeth drilling scene :o

As for driving off, not sure I would do that. If something does go wrong, and friends / family come to see why I got locked up, would be hard to ask for their help in such a case.

I have in fact noticed that the BIB are much more inclined to harass pickup truck drrivers (SUVS too) than car drivers

as pickups are within their realm of overachieving rice farmers - whereas cars are a little bit too clean and forgein and humble for them to be able to stage their show

Was moving house at the week-end, my car full, with a pick up in tow, relatively well packed heading on the toll way from Petchburi, going to the bangna-trad toll gate entrance.

Cop sees of course a good opportunity ( falang + moving ) to make some money, pulls us over at the toll gate. Kinda invents a few breaches of the law ( Kap rot keng - which could mean anything) see's me with 4 locals (helping me move ) and insists we pay 5000 baht (1000 for each of us ) or he will impound the car and lock us up (clear case if extortion here ) and has the balls to say it to our faces as if we are subservient to him.

Locals asked him for mercy ( in a nice way ) and offered him 500 baht, which he refused. Rain was on the way, and having a TV and matress etc wet was not an option. Told him to make up his mind and charge us, or let us move on, and the prick got even more upset " how could a falang talk like this to a Thai" where his comments to the guys behind my back. Called my father in law ( great man by the way ) who is well connected and tried to have the cop talk to daddy -in -law. Cop refused to take the call, tell his name, ID or where we were. " Ja kengkan gap pom roo plaow? ". Told him if he did not talk on the phone, and my stuff got wet, he will have a very interesting time explaining it at police head quarters tomorrow morning.

He finally took the line, and after daddy-in-law was done with him it was Krap krap krap and Pom ja doo leh kau dee dee krap etc. all the way. After hanging up, the prick told us to go........ could not let this one ride, asked him if he wants us to go, or still pay the 5000 baht ? Go go was the answer, asked hiim a few times just to be sure I understood correctly ( which i did from the get go ) . Security guard sitting in the back had a big grin

Talked with the locals who were helping me move. They were elated that for once the cops got the short end of the stick. They told me (they move alot of things ) that they get harassed alot in such a manner by the cops, but never 5000 baht. (feel sorry for them ). At the end of the day, this cop lost face big time infront of 4 movers, a falang and a security guard.

Punishment enough. Hope he thinks twice before praying on falangs again, and if not, avoid the toll gate as he might take his wrath on you :o

Maybe he stopped you for towing a pick-up?

There are bloody cops everywhere on the tollway and expressway..all with big bikes parked nearby.

Today I saw a lorry being pulled off the road near Chaeng Wathanna because it shouldn't have been there

at that time...0821 Hrs A.M.

Got back to Chiang Rai airport tonite only to find our car being checked for bombs.

What is Thailand coming to ??

ETA you can't run/drive away as they can easily phone ahead to the next cop, just as much

as they cannot let you get away with an offence as this will tell the senior officer further down the road

that you ( the cop ) are not doing your job.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Well, firstly I don't care to pay 100 or 200 Bht for something I did not do. But it is the principle. What can you expect in a country, where this behavior seems to be widely accepted (not only by farangs)?

Yes sure I have sympathy for the police, they are way underpaid for their job, but just collecting tea money is a rip-off!

I don't know how this really can be handled in the future. Until then it is really the only alternative to have a VIP number in your phone or some important business cards, which impress them. Or you drive a Mercedes S Class with a 8888 plate and you can be certain never get stopped...

TiT

Got pulled over after paying the toll at Don Meuang/Rangsit and told that I was clocked on the radar going too fast. Played the farang fool, smiled, said 'I don't know', shaked my head etc... he got perplexed and just waved me on.

Then got stopped for going through a red light (the far left lane can go through the light, but I was attempting to filter into that lane and went through the light half in the correct lane, half out of it). Fair play, hold my hands up on that one. Cop rode up, pulled me over and gave me the story about the license having to be retrieved from a station miles away etc... I smiled and asked to pay a road side fine - he smiled and asked for 300 baht! I had to laughat the 'farang inflationary price rise' but thought 'sod it' - it would be 5000 Baht back home and 3 points - enjoy your beer my son, i'll be on my way.

Well done to the OP for 'putting his foot down with a firm hand'.

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

I would seriously think of trading in your vehicle(s) if i were you, just in case he took the plate numbers.

hel_l hath no fury than a Thai policeman who has lost face BIG time .......especially to a falang, and moreso in the presence of other Thais !!!!!

Sigh.. why does nobody on this forum understand face.

(He didn't lose much face because none of his collegues/superiors/subordinats/friends/others/etc were there to witness it, and the labourers there don't matter much.)

Edited by Sanpatong

Sigh.. why does nobody on this forum understand face.

(He didn't lose much face because none of his collegues/superiors/subordinats/friends/others/etc were there to witness it, and the labourers there don't matter much.)

Kinda agreed, but kinda don't. He was seriously considering him self the big boy in the beginning in front of the Falang, labourers and guard. I definitely would not have want to have been him doing the Fred Scuttle routine on a phone ( my phone by the way ) in front of the same people u were just trying to extort money out of.

Having to say "Pom ja doo leh dee dee" or something to that effect most definitely was a "take ur two feet out of your mouth" exercise.