The only way to salvation! Confess your motorbike riding sins!

Furioso

I took all the classes, passed all the tests and swore I'd follow all the motorbike laws/rules...that was exactly one year ago. 

Now I'm breaking all of them..except I refuse to be the out of control swervy guy riding like a madman through heavy Pattaya traffic. 

My latest riding sin? 

I cut through that little gap on Threppasit that's only meant for pedestrians. 

Edited by Furioso
edt

Given your choice of riding styles, you have a high percentage chance of becoming a statistic.

I took MC classes in the US and had a few years riding experience on a 750cc before coming to Thailand.
I was in three accidents in the first year here.  Throw everything you think you know out the window.  Because here in The Most Dangerous Roads in the World where 80% of the fatalities are on motorcycles?
The Western rules of the road don't exist.

I walked away unscathed but I completely changed how I ride.  Over the next 14 years I've avoided the situations that got me into trouble that first year.  Learn to adapt or die. Literally.

You'll learn too if you survive.  That's not hyperbole.  Keep committing sins on Thai roads?  You may be speaking to Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates well before you had planned. 

Edited by connda

Always wear a helmet, but aside from that, IF I can get away with it, I'll do it, if convenient.  Mostly driving against traffic to the convenient U-turn, instead of the 'next' one.

Won't drive on a walkway, though never needed to, or convenient to.  Slowed down a lot since first getting here.  Especially if with dog or wife.  Actually drove more illegally in the USA, then here, speed wise, since much larger MC.  Less respect for MCs in USA, so I consider driving here safer.

When living in Udon Thani area, then yes, lots of swerving through slower, or congested traffic.  Now, here/PKK and really not necessary.  Amazing how everyone drives fairly legal here compared to NE.

Never an accident here, 23+ years, knock on wood.  Younger folks drive so much better here, abet, a bit wild at times, but always in control.   Older folks seem to do thing unexpectedly, and without warning, along with seeming not to be confident or in control at times.

Seems crazy at times, but it flows and seems to work good ...

... until it doesn't, and someone makes an oops, without a helmet.   Far too many.

• Like 1

I too, make a u turn at pedestrian crossings,

some roads in Bangkok I don't feel safe waiting to turn right into buildings waiting on the median with big trucks passing me on left, I'd rather wait for the pedestrian crossing lights to turn red and make a u turn there 

Maybe about 10 years ago the police often stopped bikes going from Sukhumvit to Rama 4. They stopped bikes for not riding on the left lane. I think in that area there are 4 lanes in each direction and the first lane was always half full of parked cars.

When I approached the police from far away, I rode with my bike on the most left lane relatively slowly in a high gear. When they saw me coming and ignored me because I was driving according to the rules then maybe 50m before I met the police, I shifted down to the first gear, accelerated to 14,500 RPM and 100km/h and passed the police on my way to escape. I really liked that.

In the other direction I came down from the elevated bridge over Rama 4. I made sure I was fast, maybe 150km/h and on the right lane. Also there the police tried to stop everybody who was not riding on the left lane. But when they spotted me, it was already too late for them to do anything.

They never even tried to follow me.

A friend, who rides a lot longer in Thailand, explained it to me in the way that the police want money. Chasing someone and maybe collecting money takes time. Just waiting on the side of the street for riders who stop and collect money from many of them is much easier.

Now I am a little older and don't have a sport bike anymore and I don't do that anymore.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1wy2q1HljFeMFRmfgWwg

Blame it on Google maps but I once rode my Versys 1000 2-up, fully loaded with top and side cases over a pedestrian bridge onto the grounds of temple in the Chom Thong section of Bangkok.  Considering the narrow road I was on going forward just seemed like the better option.

image.png.2abcb4582e9944e8f9eb298a274a61c2.png

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What is a Y turn? 

It's just another term for a '3 point turn'. I do one every time I arrive home on my motorcycle, turning it around ready for the next ride out. (I'm always eager to get going again)

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:38 AM, BarraMarra said:

I take my helmet with me to Udon and when im out and about i always use my helmet cam a go pro. Amazing some of the Antics ive filmed plus if i am in an accident if it wasnt my fault i have the film on the accident.

Plus, i've always found a polished helmet is far safer.

I often polish my helmet, or have someone do it for me.

• Haha 1