Mobile phone danger.

The Fugitive

My Mrs has three dual SIM mobiles. Each morning she starts her car then sits in it whilst she checks for calls, SMS, Facebook Messenger, Line and goodness knows what else? Then, she calls people back and replies via message if they don’t answer. Next, calls and messages start arriving. At some point she will decide that she has to get to her shop (only 980 metres distant) and drives off, whilst talking on one of her mobiles. She refuses to use a ‘hands free’ device. Daughter demonstrated to her (and to me) how calls can come through the media player.

I’ve pleaded with her to turn her phones off for the 5 minute journey but, of course, she won’t. The danger is that she can’t ‘process’ traffic light information whilst using her mobiles. For example, the right turn arrow may be green but she will go ahead, against a red light. I have to shout ‘Stop here!’. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Mobile phone danger".

Seems that the title of the thread should be "My Missus' Danger", judging by her ineptness, the mobile phone is no danger at all.

Absolutely agree Lou! Could write a book! To choose just one example; I soon learned to avoid the ends (both) of a vehicle when my Mrs is in the driving seat. Could go in either direction because she doesn't check the position of the gear lever before pressing the accelerator. Almost crushed my legs on one occasion.

Personally, I would have hard to take such attitude from my wife. If both I and the children explains that it´s dangerous and she should use hands-free. Whatever good that does for 3 phones??? Then she would just disqualify as a material I would like to continue be in a relation with. I mean, stupidity is one thing. This is something far beyond that. She would just have to choose. Play with phones and be alone or lay them down 5 minutes and have a family. Guess she have you in an iron grip my friend ;-) 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Personally, I would have hard to take such attitude from my wife. If both I and the children explains that it´s dangerous and she should use hands-free. Whatever good that does for 3 phones??? Then she would just disqualify as a material I would like to continue be in a relation with. I mean, stupidity is one thing. This is something far beyond that. She would just have to choose. Play with phones and be alone or lay them down 5 minutes and have a family. Guess she have you in an iron grip my friend ;-) 

Turning off your mobile is something almost nobody would do in my experience. As a shopkeeper she receives calls late night/very early morning when the shop is closed and even when we're away on holiday. One phone is for back-up and the most elderly one is for music with her bluetooth speakers. I don't drive/ride in Thailand and don't have or want a Thai driving licence. Definitely don't agree with drinking and driving. However, I've learned to live with it because family and friends drive/ride when well over the limit. If they have an accident I just hope I'm not a passenger at the time.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Turning off your mobile is something almost nobody would do in my experience. As a shopkeeper she receives calls late night/very early morning when the shop is closed and even when we're away on holiday. One phone is for back-up and the most elderly one is for music with her bluetooth speakers. I don't drive/ride in Thailand and don't have or want a Thai driving licence. Definitely don't agree with drinking and driving. However, I've learned to live with it because family and friends drive/ride when well over the limit. If they have an accident I just hope I'm not a passenger at the time.

Excuse me, but what are you replying to? You said your wife can not see things in traffic when talking in phone at the same time. I replied to that, with that she need to put down the phones during 5 min. Not turn off. If she miss any calls, she can just call back and messages she can read 5 minute later. There were nothing here regarding drunk driving! At the same time, I gave you my opinion and version of effects if my wife would be stupid enough to do such thing. Luckily she have not even come close to such madness.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, marin said:

Why the heck can she not walk to work if its only 1 kilometer? Problems solved in a sense, well she could walk out in the street and get hit while diddling around on her "phones". 

Good idea thanks. Getting her to do that is another matter though!