Jing Jing Lur

glenbat

It is a common particle that creates a question that shows a certain degree of uncertainty but at the same time shows a certain expectation.

In itself it might translated as "really" when that word is used as a question such as in the classic line: "You really slept with him/her?

So the original sentence might best be translated "It's really true?" where we would add intonation to show whether the statement is an interrogative as opposed to a declarative sentence.

Think of 'jing loh' as someone saying in an exaggerated tone "Oh really ?!" In that sense then, if someone told you something you really couldn't believe, or that was quite interesting, You might reply with either the whole phrase or either half of it.

I just saw a kangaroo hopping down Sukhumvit.

Oh, really ?

or

Really?!

or

Oh?!......(in the sense of 'Go on, tell me more.")

Don't forget, หรือ has an "r" sound, not an "l" sound. That having been said, however, I do fear for the old ร. Some think that one day it may be replaced with "ล" - but I don't believe it!

Different vowels though would indicate we are talking about two different words.

I believe we are, indeed, talking about the very same word, หรือ. The word has become bastardized to such an extent that it is sometimes almost incomprehensible. I recommend obtaining the DVD/VCD box-set of MR Kukrit Pramoj's (ม.ร.ว. คึกฤทธิ์ ปราโมช) critically acclaimed historical novel สี่แผ่นดิน. It is a wonderful way to practice one's listening skills and increase one's Thai vocabulary. The added bonus, of course, is that it will afford you an opportunity of hearing หรือ being spoken with the melodic roll of ร, as intended.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe we are, indeed, talking about the very same word, หรือ. The word has become bastardized to such an extent that it is sometimes almost incomprehensible. I recommend obtaining the DVD/VCD box-set of MR Kukrit Pramoj's (ม.ร.ว. คึกฤทธิ์ ปราโมช) critically acclaimed historical novel สี่แผ่นดิน. It is a wonderful way to practice one's listening skills and increase one's Thai vocabulary. The added bonus, of course, is that it will afford you an opportunity of hearing หรือ being spoken with the melodic roll of ร, as intended.

I feel that too many words may have the same fate. What I can still not figure out is why my wife will use an R sound in English when it should be L, and vice versa. I feel like if I can pronounce the ng sound at the beginning of a word in Thai, hardest sound I think for English speakers. Then she should be able to get the R and L right also... :o

dave