You-tube Premium or death?

Toolong

I suspect the name will be an issue and she will have to start a new subscription to get past that issue (but who knows - might be a breeze).  Otherwise wife could start a subscription herself?

I just funded for one year using a US credit card with my Thai address but not sure that will still be available once you took the AIS path.

36 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Old Croc (or anyone reading this), I went for the Premium 1 month trial yesterday. When I initially completed the basic info requirements, they asked about payment options. 

As I don't have a credit card I went for the AIS option as my phone package is through AIS.

They didn't request more specific details about that AIS option and accepted the application for the trial etc.

All good. Love the ad free premium so far.

Problem is.....the youtube subscription is in my name, but the AIS package is in my Thai wife's name. 

When it comes to starting the payments at the end of the 1 month trial, how will the payments be facilitated through AIS, especially because of the 2 names involved causing confusion? 

(By the way, I would actually like to pay the  yearly fee.)

I'm a cash over the counter guy. I'm just not familiar (ok....dumb as a rock, I know!) with these more up to date, alternative online payment systems. Any advice? 🤔🙂

I'm replying as you directed this query at me. I have little advice to offer you as I handle financials in a very different manner to yourself. I live remotely and travel to my little town infrequently. I don't use my phone for any financial purposes as I consider them to be an insecure device against theft and hacking. (I am aware of Sinc problems associated with Google and others.)

My credit cards are never used at ATMs. I do all transactions on-line (3BB) using variously; Wise, Lazada, and similar. I transfer required household funds to the wife's account; she does the daily shopping and face to face contacts.  I rarely handle cash myself.

On 11/25/2023 at 1:04 PM, NextG said:

You may have to open a new Google account in order to facilitate that… and to find a VPN that has servers in India…

No new google account required.

On your regular google account connct to VPN, click premium and sign up. I use my Aussie CC and enter a random Indian address. If India is not on your VPN turkey is also cheap about 75b a month.

7 hours ago, Toolong said:

Old Croc (or anyone reading this), I went for the Premium 1 month trial yesterday. When I initially completed the basic info requirements, they asked about payment options. 

As I don't have a credit card I went for the AIS option as my phone package is through AIS.

They didn't request more specific details about that AIS option and accepted the application for the trial etc.

All good. Love the ad free premium so far.

Problem is.....the youtube subscription is in my name, but the AIS package is in my Thai wife's name. 

When it comes to starting the payments at the end of the 1 month trial, how will the payments be facilitated through AIS, especially because of the 2 names involved causing confusion? 

(By the way, I would actually like to pay the  yearly fee.)

I'm a cash over the counter guy. I'm just not familiar (ok....dumb as a rock, I know!) with these more up to date, alternative online payment systems. Any advice? 🤔🙂

Did you actually follow the instructions given via the link that I supplied?
If you followed the instructions, the first month is free and then the next three months will be 139 baht. If you did it another way, then who knows…

Look here: https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships
What does it state via Payment Method currently?

On 11/24/2023 at 5:30 AM, Old Croc said:

I became a Premium member a few months ago and have not regretted it. All adds are removed with the exception of those inserted by YouTubers themselves into their videos. It's easy to fast forward through these to avoid the ubiquitous adds for the green gunk they all seem to have for breakfast.

For details on plans, costs, payments, etc. I simply clicked on the "Premium" item in YouTube's index. 

It's basically a protection racket where Youtube "protect" you from obnoxious, intrusive advertising if you pay them. As others have said, why not just use uBlock Origin?

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's basically a protection racket where Youtube "protect" you from obnoxious, intrusive advertising if you pay them. As others have said, why not just use uBlock Origin?

They provide a good music platform along with advertising removal (which is required to pay those posting what you view).  For about US $50 a year (the cost of a good meal out) you get this service and provide the money to keep posters providing content.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

They provide a good music platform along with advertising removal (which is required to pay those posting what you view).  For about US $50 a year (the cost of a good meal out) you get this service and provide the money to keep posters providing content.

If you're feeling chartitable I'm sure you can find a better cause to donate that $50.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The link i used from here for Youtube

premium says free for 1 month than

$18.99 p/m after!

https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships

Didnt somebody mention 159 bht p/m?

Edited by riclag

33 minutes ago, riclag said:

The link i used from here for Youtube

premium says free for 1 month than

$18.99 p/m after!

https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships

Didnt somebody mention 159 bht p/m?

I suspect link is based on your IP address and you are not using a Thai IP?  If rate is in USD most likely IP in USA?

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I'm replying as you directed this query at me. I have little advice to offer you as I handle financials in a very different manner to yourself. I live remotely and travel to my little town infrequently. I don't use my phone for any financial purposes as I consider them to be an insecure device against theft and hacking. (I am aware of Sinc problems associated with Google and others.)

My credit cards are never used at ATMs. I do all transactions on-line (3BB) using variously; Wise, Lazada, and similar. I transfer required household funds to the wife's account; she does the daily shopping and face to face contacts.  I rarely handle cash myself.

Thanks for replying. I certainly feel the same way about financial services done on one's phone, though my wife is keen on it!

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect the name will be an issue and she will have to start a new subscription to get past that issue (but who knows - might be a breeze).  Otherwise wife could start a subscription herself?

I just funded for one year using a US credit card with my Thai address but not sure that will still be available once you took the AIS path.

Yes, I think it may be an issue. I'll ask at AIS when my wife (whom my AIS package is named under) is available. 

Thanks for your reply. 

4 hours ago, NextG said:

Did you actually follow the instructions given via the link that I supplied?
If you followed the instructions, the first month is free and then the next three months will be 139 baht. If you did it another way, then who knows…

Look here: https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships
What does it state via Payment Method currently?

Thanks for responding.

No I didn't use the link you kindly sent, but just got there via youtube and clicking on the Premium option and following a few simple steps.

As I recall, the payment methods included a range of options but only one that I figured would be suitable and that was AIS as I have a package.....forgetting that the package essentially is one belonging to my wife and not in my name, thus possibly presenting difficulties later at end of 1 month trial. 

I was required to indicate my preferred payment method in order to be confirmed as taking part in a one month free trial. No other specific AIS payment details were asked for at this stage. 

9 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for responding.

No I didn't use the link you kindly sent, but just got there via youtube and clicking on the Premium option and following a few simple steps.

As I recall, the payment methods included a range of options but only one that I figured would be suitable and that was AIS as I have a package.....forgetting that the package essentially is one belonging to my wife and not in my name, thus possibly presenting difficulties later at end of 1 month trial. 

I was required to indicate my preferred payment method in order to be confirmed as taking part in a one month free trial. No other specific AIS payment details were asked for at this stage. 

I understand. If you want to continue with AIS, do so via the link that I posted. Otherwise, it’s quite likely that the free trial will end and nothing else will happen. Perhaps do it a few days from the end of the trial. You’ll have the choice of 89 baht; with only Music videos having advertisements or 139-159 baht for the full package. Just make sure there is enough credit each month, if it’s a Prepaid SIM

58 minutes ago, NextG said:

I understand. If you want to continue with AIS, do so via the link that I posted. Otherwise, it’s quite likely that the free trial will end and nothing else will happen. Perhaps do it a few days from the end of the trial. You’ll have the choice of 89 baht; with only Music videos having advertisements or 139-159 baht for the full package. Just make sure there is enough credit each month, if it’s a Prepaid SIM

Ok, thanks for that advice. I'll definitely check out that link. 👍🏻

If there is hassle paying via AIS, apparently you can pay a yearly 1590 baht, which I could possibly pay just once a year via use of a relative's credit card.....assuming they're cool with that. 😉