Protective motorcycle gear for hot weather.

Klonko

After 3 years deliberation, I have bought a Honda Goldwing for long distance two up touring in Thailand. Please refrain from comments such as too big for the Mae Hong Son loop. I have been riding Goldwing for years in Europe on small mountain roads.

In Europe, I wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield and well vented GoreTex textile gear, which gets hot above 32 C°. In Thailand, I am looking for gear supporting comfortable 6 hours daily driving time.

What is your experience with protective gear riding in hot humid weather in Thailand? The Goldwing fairing provides some wind protection and I wonder how much hot air is heating me up through mesh gear. Would breathable textile (no GoreTex) with no mesh be generally better? In any case, I would also wear a cooling long base layer.

Most riders of large touring bikes in Thailand seem to wear full face or cross helmets. Apart from safety considerations, are full face helmets cooler in sunny hot weather?

• Like 1

I wear a mesh jacket here in the north.  What I wear under it depends on the temp. Synthetic mesh running T-shirt in hot weather with the "tail" exposed below the jacket to wick away any moisture. In cooler weather a long-sleeved shirt. 

Open-faced helmet with good ventilation, so I can take it on and off without removing my glasses. 

All OK as long as you keep moving.

Mesh/kevlar jacket when its super hot and no chance of rain/Bell modular helmet. Normal armoured leather jacket with a back protector at all other times.

All I would say on modular helmets is check their integrity - you can essily see that many of them are very likely to split open upon impact.  Having the ability to flip them up at junctions/lights can be a godsend and cool you far more than simply flipping up a visor (which you can also do on a modular).

I did once try leather bike trousers but ditched that idea after just one ride - just jeans now, impossible to stay cool otherwise.

12 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Mesh/kevlar jacket when its super hot and no chance of rain/Bell modular helmet. Normal armoured leather jacket with a back protector at all other times.

All I would say on modular helmets is check their integrity - you can essily see that many of them are very likely to split open upon impact.  Having the ability to flip them up at junctions/lights can be a godsend and cool you far more than simply flipping up a visor (which you can also do on a modular).

I did once try leather bike trousers but ditched that idea after just one ride - just jeans now, impossible to stay cool otherwise.

Which modular helmets look like they'd split open ?

I have a Shoe NeoTec II and its one of the best helmets I have (also have Bell Bullit & Custom 500).

+ 1 on the recommendation for a modular helmet and as Brit mentioned, defo something with full face protection.

I have the Rev'it airwave jacket and pants - the quality is excellent...  Since I down graded to a scooter the pants never get much use.. but I use the jacket a lot (it also includes a back protector)... 

Obviously no rain protection there, but IMO, riding in anything that does offer rain protection is just going to be too hot... 

But... its still hot... riding in Thailand is just uncomfortably hot a lot of the the time. 

At least up north outside of 'smoke season' its cooler and less humid.

Edited by richard_smith237

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which modular helmets look like they'd split open ?

I couldn't name them now, I saw a few when I was deciding which to buy and I've seen a few since in Thailand. They ranged from being more akin to an open face helmet with a partial solid visor to just plain badly fitting and sometimes flimsy fronts.

I don't think you can go to far wrong if you buy one of the proprietory brands. As the saying goes 'if you have a 10 bob head, buy a 10 bob helmet'.

As for rain gear, I have a simple rain suit that folds into a 'bum bag' style.  There are times when you get caught out on a run and sheltering under a bridge anymore than 10 minutes just doesn't fit your schedule.

• Like 1

Beware HJC helmets in Thailand  YES they are Genuine   but I have a size 60 FS10 in UK which fits perfectly and i also have another FS10  I bought from The biggest helmet dealer in bangkok  and its also a size 60 ,, but they are  not same the UK one is 13mm long in the face area for western heads , The Thai market one is  smaller  its not as comfy ..

Apparently they have a shell size for the west and a smaller shell for Asian heads

• Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:10 PM, liddelljohn said:

Beware HJC helmets in Thailand  YES they are Genuine   but I have a size 60 FS10 in UK which fits perfectly and i also have another FS10  I bought from The biggest helmet dealer in bangkok  and its also a size 60 ,, but they are  not same the UK one is 13mm long in the face area for western heads , The Thai market one is  smaller  its not as comfy ..

Apparently they have a shell size for the west and a smaller shell for Asian heads

Most helmets have different shell sizes. The better brands usually have 3 shell sizes. Many only have 2.

This forum generally falls into generalist heresay in a short period of time for subjects that needs specific responses. Not all modular helmets are good and not all modual helmets are bad. They vary.

Here is one of a few web sites that I use when choosing a new lid. Sharp also note how many times modual helmets opened on impact. A very useful metric. I have 6 helmets in use and still in servicable condition at the moment. 3 here and 3 in my home country. One in each country is a full face that will eventually be replaced by modulars when the time comes.

I only get a couple of years, maybe 30 months out of a helmet in this climate. The foam compresses and deteriorates as does the removable padding and wicking layers. I've found that modular helmets from the same manufacturer often have vastly different locking mechanism and hinging quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...