Quitting Google anything... fed up for constant changes

GypsyT

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Too much info fishing etc

I changed to Swiss Proton Email. So far very light, fast and simple. Easy switch of google anything. I like EU privacy protection too.

Any experience of Proton?

Yep, been using it for a couple of years now and only for financial stuff, it worked fine for first 6 months then started getting monthly requests from them to sign up for their paid service. After 3 months of ignoring these requests the spam emails started piling in, go figure!

2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I changed to Swiss Proton Email. So far very light, fast and simple. Easy switch of google anything. I like EU privacy protection too.

I use Proton - I think that it was the minimum paid service. No problems at all. A few web sites make using a VPN a bit clunky but it sorts itself out when I switch to another location

• Confused 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cardano said:

Yep, been using it for a couple of years now and only for financial stuff, it worked fine for first 6 months then started getting monthly requests from them to sign up for their paid service. After 3 months of ignoring these requests the spam emails started piling in, go figure!

yes, I have a couple of proton accounts - I use one on my iPhone, in theory the app works well, but as you say, you get emails nagging you to buy the service. Then you need to subscribe to use their email bridge allowing you to use a mail client. 

On 11/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, GypsyT said:

"After 3 months of ignoring these requests the spam emails started piling in, go figure! "

I did use VPN and EU country to register. That should eliminate spam. EU laws are very tough.

Not sure how signing up from EU using VPN can eliminate spam. Spam comes from sources who have somehow illegitimately obtained your email address.

• Like 1

He said; "it worked fine for first 6 months then started getting monthly requests from them to sign up for their paid service. After 3 months of ignoring these requests the spam emails started piling in, go figure!"

It looks to me Proton could have sold his address to spammers... IF it wasn't in EU.

But of course, you're right too.

Hopefully I am right. Will find out soon

I'm getting same Proton offers which don't bother me.

Very mild compared to Google junk and constant pushing this and that. They even found out I got SmartPhone which I only use to log in my EU bank and "location" nor "Net and Google search etc" has never been ON. I guess they sniffed via my BlueTooth to lap top traffic?

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 3:52 PM, GypsyT said:

I'm a paying email customer.  Very happy going on 4 or 5 years.  I may switch to there VPN when my current contract with another runs out.  My gmail account is still in use but forwards to my proton mail account. I also use their calendar. You can't quit gmail unless you don't want to use google maps and such. 

Good to hear it's been working for you so long.

Google has played games with me claiming "Your account has been hacked" and they demand PIN changes.

At same time they (?) were able to remove Email transfer to Proton. I reported all to Proton and restored auto transfer. This is still on going. I didn't hear anything from proton.

I may try proton VPN too when my ExpressVPN expires. So far it's working very good.

I don't use Google maps etc anything.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:59 PM, Joebuzzz said:

I'm a paying email customer.  Very happy going on 4 or 5 years.  I may switch to there VPN when my current contract with another runs out.  My gmail account is still in use but forwards to my proton mail account. I also use their calendar. You can't quit gmail unless you don't want to use google maps and such. 

Why do you need Gmail for Google Maps? That doesn’t make any sense…

YES!

You are correct that there are too many seemingly useless and whimsical changes being imposed on Google users, for no apparent reason.

Also, Google being a God, does not listen to mere mortals like you and me.

This is a problem caused by Google's Nooglers and Googlers who are, evermore becoming increasingly out-of-touch with their user base.

As for me, I just want to be able to use Google's many tools, features, and functions, without needing to think too much.

And, as we all know, even Thai Girls teach us that we should NOT:  Tink too much.... (They always say...Don't Tink Too Much!)

Google's products come and go too quickly.

And, they are always asking us too many questions while we using their products, and only want to use these products, without being disturbed by their incessant useless marketing questions.

Google is becoming just another lousy company in the same vein as AT&T once was...just too intrusive.

Although, it must be said that AT&T was once a dynamite American company, for sure.

I JUST HOPE that the Nooglers and Googlers at Google will read my post and try to NOT make too many changes in such short periods of time....which...just cause use users confusion and consternation, and only lead to lower efficiency for us, the guys that use Google products to do the work that we do.

Will they listen?

NO, they will not.

Google is now OUT OF TOUCH with almost all of its users.

Google is on Mount Olympus, it seems.

• Confused 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:38 PM, NextG said:

Why do you need Gmail for Google Maps? That doesn’t make any sense…

To save locations.  It will only save if you're signed in.  Otherwise, look up where you want to go, planning never to go back without looking it up again.  Also, if the map location is off a quarter mile, you can move their location bubble to fix it .... following their approval.  Like my first visit to BigC in Pattaya.  It was way off in 2016.  As was a restaurant I was looking for in Rayong.  They'll send an email and say "thanks" if your edit is accepted. Not that it mattered.

Edited by Joebuzzz

10 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

To save locations.  It will only save if you're signed in.  Otherwise, look up where you want to go, planning never to go back without looking it up again.  Also, if the map location is off a quarter mile, you can move their location bubble to fix it .... following their approval.  Like my first visit to BigC in Pattaya.  It was way off in 2016.  As was a restaurant I was looking for in Rayong.  They'll send an email and say "thanks" if your edit is accepted. Not that it mattered.

I guess you felt that was too much to write in your original post.

That you need to be signed in if you want to save your location, in Google Maps. 
Quite different from “You can't quit gmail unless you don't want to use google maps and such.”

Either way, thanks for the clarification. 

• Thumbs Up 1