Nine killed and more than ten others injured in truck accident in Si Sa Ket

george

8 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Totally agree!

You agree, I agree, and thousands of others would agree, but this is Thailand and what we believe and what those in charge believe and do about it is completely different. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, praguecr said:

In Thailand, bigger (as in pick-up truck), means you have right away over anything smaller than you, i.e. cars, motorcycles and people. Bigger also means you have the right to drive fast and carelessly. I see this everyday on the roads in Hua Hin.

Have to agree with your comment . I would like to add that large fronted vehicles such as pickup trucks and SUVs cause far more deaths around the worlds roads . Something needs to be controlled about this type of vehicle , especially in Thailand as they have become the most used vehicles on the road today .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

On the contrary, this is exactly why Thailand is 3rd world. They've imported foreign institutions like rule of law but they lack the ability to actually implement it properly.

Second World according to World rankings.  By that standard US is third world we let seditionists walk free and SC judges take bribes.

23 hours ago, Denim said:

And some moron leaves a laughing emoji on the OP . 

Pathetic.

Happy people can always find something to laugh about in any story. In this case it could be, that this type of accidents is so predictable, due to the lack of law enforcement on the roads. So it is both sad and laughable at the same time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

They don't think about what could happen next because generally nothing of consequence happens next. The are devoid of spatial thinking here.

It'll drag on for while then fall in the blackhole like most all these stories. A wai, a promise of compensation that never comes and the next tragic story of child molestation at a school that covers it up will take its place.

The surprising thing to me is they claim he was arrested at the scene, which is a rare occurrence 

Too drunk to run away...

20 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I cant make out of the pickup truck driver is one of the dead.  If not dead, then he should be charged with multiple murders, tried quickly and publicly, and then executed.  Commute that sentance to life in jail with no chance of ever being released - no royal pardon eligible.  If it happens again in the next few months - do not commute the sentence.

That is the only thing that will reduce this type of thing happening in Thailand - if they realise that they will be charged with murder and will go to jail and could be executed if they kill someone. The ultimate loss of face to them and their family.

Thailand has harsh laws - this is a situation where they can be used for the benefit of all Thais (and visitors). If the opportunityy is there, then the time is right for the Thai Govt to make an example of this a**hole. 

If not dead, then he should be charged with multiple murders, tried quickly and publicly, and then executed.  Commute that sentance to life in jail with no chance of ever being released - no royal pardon eligible.  If it happens again in the next few months - do not commute the sentence."

Don't quite know what you are suggesting  here? Executed? Life sentence?  And "if it happens AGAIN"........?

Edited by sambum

Much though this wonderful country has much going for it, the education system is one thing that does not. Its total omission of practical things in education and its devotion to quasi religious principles is a major issue. Kids are not taught about road safety, drinking and driving, debt, sex and intra family abuse and more. That, coupled with Grengjai, where it is considered impolite to point out the obvious to any person, even an idiot, is regarded as impolite, merely reinforces the structural issues facing a highly hierarchical, paternalistic society. The rise of Future Forward seems to indicate that this is changing, slowly, but surely. Thank heaven!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Show some mercy for this poor driver. He's got a family too.
It could happen to all of us. Si Sa Ket probably doesn't have BOLT, so what to do?
You drive home yourself. 
I think we should blame BOLT instead.

This leaves me complexed, I don't know whether I should laugh at the complete stupidity of this comment or cry at the complete lack of intellect shown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

On the contrary, this is exactly why Thailand is 3rd world. They've imported foreign institutions like rule of law but they lack the ability to actually implement it properly.

They have imported the appearance of modernity, its "products", but not the ideas that underpin it........the nexus of Elites and Buddhist Orthodoxy firmly resist that.  They want to maintain a pre-modern sociopolitical structure.

Nothing will change while they maintain their hegemony, which will not be given up without a fight......a real fight.

No telling when the lid will blow.......but it will blow.

Anyone who thinks that they would like to live in Thailand needs to take that onboard before they commit themselves.

Edited by Enoon

Only once the RTP is doing the job they are actually employed for, things might change. 

There is a reason, why Thailand toggles between 1st and 2nd most dangerous country to drive and the RTP is to blame for absolute ignorance and Baht-blindness in enforcing existing (good) laws! But here again, the Phuyais get their share of the highway heist - which explains the sometimes rather fancy exclusive cars parked at the police stations. Latter possibly inherited or won in the lottery? 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're assuming that they think ahead to the consequences. Many would not. That is why they drive as they do, especially motorcyclists. They don't give a seconds thought to the consequences of what they're doing. It's also why there are so many domestic murders in Thailand. They don't think for a moment what might happen next.

Yes - thinking and planning ahead is not one of the Thai's strengths.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:59 AM, sammieuk1 said:

According to Thai news this idiot blew 240 on the breathalyzer enough to be comatosed. hang him on the spot and set an example 🤔

Probably meant .240, which is not comatose, and many alcoholics can actually function at that level or higher, except for the driving part. 

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No they do not that in Thailand, rarely a drug dealer will get life, in fact they can now carry 2 class A drugs, Yabba,  with no conviction, and they tend to try and re-hab addicts now. 

Yes they rarely use it - last time in 2018.  Things have definitely eased off a lot - especially over the last few decades - and I have calmed downa bit too. But it is in the statutes.

Capital punishment in Thailand - Wikipedia

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The above is a minor issue when it comes to people being killed in Road Traffic Accidents but it does illustrate the apparent lack of interest in actually doing anything at all. You are far more likely to see a Thai policeman in a restaurant than 'out on the beat'.

Thai police are an institutional cargo cult. They wear uniforms and occupy offices with police-like appearance but they don't actually serve the function of the police.

The Thai public if asked would say they have police but they're part of the cargo cult also that doesn't know the difference between actual police and people that wear police costumes.

I cringe a little whenever I meet a Thai cop because they're such a joke but they don't even know it. It's a real sad state of affairs to be sure.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

If not dead, then he should be charged with multiple murders, tried quickly and publicly, and then executed.  Commute that sentance to life in jail with no chance of ever being released - no royal pardon eligible.  If it happens again in the next few months - do not commute the sentence."

Don't quite know what you are suggesting  here? Executed? Life sentence?  And "if it happens AGAIN"........?

I have calmed down a bit since yesterday :smile:

Australia the 60s-70s was similar to here - lost of car accidents and lots of drink driving (not as bad as here though). What stopped that was not media campaigns and requests to slow down - it was the Police conducting random booze buses and Courts handing out massive fines, extensive suspensions, and jail. At first everyone thought it will go away eventually - but it did not - and they ramped up both enforcement and the punishment. One bloke killed a family while way over the limit in 1980s - he was convicted of multiple manslaughter and jailed for over 20 years.  Many similar things happened - although that was the worst - eventually it became unacceptable to drink and drive.  Now it is very rare for anyone to drink and drive in Australia - it is not worth the risk.

Same everywhere else in the world that such measures were introduced. No, I dont want random speeding cameras everywhere - but yes I do want random booze buses and fines - and any bad incidents resulting in deaths, drivers  being punished severely and made an example of to others. Far too much in Thailand the punishment does not fit the crime - and enforcement is far too 'reactionary' - that is why Thais ignore the rules/laws.  

On 11/26/2023 at 9:21 AM, Denim said:

And some moron leaves a laughing emoji on the OP . 

Pathetic.

You mean morons as there are 4 pathetic laughing emoji now . This is what you get for having anonymous posts/replies . Unless they want to speak out and tell why they find such a tragedy amusing but I doubt that they have the courage .

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder what the pickup drivers on this forum, of which there are many, think of your nonsense claim!?

I don't understand. You are saying that there are many pick-up drivers on this forum? How many? 

How many Thai pick-up drivers do you think can speak/read English, let alone understand the innuendos, sarcasm and English inferences? Why would normal Thai pick-up drivers, with few educational skills, be swarming to read what we foreigners think or write?

You are maybe confusing 'pick-up' drivers  - those who are collecting friends, etc., with the common perception that pick-up drivers refer to Thais and their driving skills.

And besides, foreigners would not obtain a work permit - it is job undertaken by Thais -which means foreigners aren't allowed to do it.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Bundooman said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder what the pickup drivers on this forum, of which there are many, think of your nonsense claim!?

I don't understand. You are saying that there are many pick-up drivers on this forum? How many? 

How many Thai pick-up drivers do you think can speak/read English, let alone understand the innuendos, sarcasm and English inferences? Why would normal Thai pick-up drivers, with few educational skills, be swarming to read what we foreigners think or write?

You are maybe confusing 'pick-up' drivers  - those who are collecting friends, etc., with the common perception that pick-up drivers refer to Thais and their driving skills.

And besides, foreigners would not obtain a work permit - it is job undertaken by Thais -which means foreigners aren't allowed to do it.

Good grief.

"I don't understand. You are saying that there are many pick-up drivers on this forum? How many?".

Yes, I am and, yes, there are.  How many?  More than a few and less than a multitude.

"How many Thai pick-up drivers do you think can speak/read English, let alone understand the innuendos, sarcasm and English inferences? Why would normal Thai pick-up drivers, with few educational skills, be swarming to read what we foreigners think or write?"

I didn't say that there were any...no idea why you're asking that.

"You are maybe confusing 'pick-up' drivers..."

No, it's not me that's confused, I know exactly what a pickup (vehicle) is.

"And besides, foreigners would not obtain a work permit - it is job undertaken by Thais -which means foreigners aren't allowed to do it".

What? Seriously?  You seem to think that a work permit is needed to drive a pickup!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So here is the real story regarding this incident. There was NO motorcyclist involved in the crash, only a parked M/C. The driver was uninjured but very drunk at 240  milligrams per cent. 

Read the full story here.  Drunk and drive! Pickup truck loses control and collides with motorcycle

Unbelievable RIDICULOUS translation into English !!!  :coffee1: