Please Recommend An Internet Package...

mikea

I have never connected to the internet using a cell phone with a laptop computer and have no knowledge of how to go about doing so.

Please recommend an internet package using a cell phone with a laptop computer.

I will be going to Bangkok next month and would like to get some information before I get there.

I have a Nokia N73 and a Sony Vaio PCG-K33 that was new back in December of 2004.

I use a prepaid TRUE SIM card when in Bangkok but can change if needed.

I will be in Bangkok for about 3 or 4 months.

Are there internet plans that I can get for 3 or 4 months (month by month deal) instead of having to sign a 1 year contract?

Not sure about True's data capabilities in Bkk.

Your best bet is to get yourself an AIS (one2call) or Dtac pre-paid card.

With AIS if you just connect to gprs(Edge) you pay 1 Baht/minute. You can however subscribe to a package of your choice by dialling *138 and go to all the options, or easier call 1175, press 2 for English and ask to operator to get it going for you. 20 hours for 107 Baht, 50 hours for 214 Baht etc., pretty cheap!

With Dtac you are limited to either paying by KB (veeery expensive when you use for browsing/downloading) or call their call center for an unlimited package. 1 week about 249 Baht, 1 month almost 1000 Baht if I recall correctly. You can also ask to switch to 1 Baht/minute instead of paying by KB.

So AIS is the cheapest by far and also has the best Edge coverage (improved, faster version of GPRS). Your N73 is Edge capable!

• 1 year later...
Not sure about True's data capabilities in Bkk.

Your best bet is to get yourself an AIS (one2call) or Dtac pre-paid card.

With AIS if you just connect to gprs(Edge) you pay 1 Baht/minute. You can however subscribe to a package of your choice by dialling *138 and go to all the options, or easier call 1175, press 2 for English and ask to operator to get it going for you. 20 hours for 107 Baht, 50 hours for 214 Baht etc., pretty cheap!

With Dtac you are limited to either paying by KB (veeery expensive when you use for browsing/downloading) or call their call center for an unlimited package. 1 week about 249 Baht, 1 month almost 1000 Baht if I recall correctly. You can also ask to switch to 1 Baht/minute instead of paying by KB.

So AIS is the cheapest by far and also has the best Edge coverage (improved, faster version of GPRS). Your N73 is Edge capable!

Sorry to barge into the thread but I too am a rank amateur when it comes connecting to the internet by cellphone and laptop. Just to really show my ignorance, how do I go about connecting the cellphone to the laptop? Use the USB cable? Also, Monty, as you sound quite knowledgeable on these things, is my phone likely to be compatible, it's a Nokia 5310, has bluetooth, and connects to the internet by mistake when I push the wrong button, although I have never used it for internet intentionally. As the wifi connection at my condo is extremely unreliable I wondered if connecting using AIS and the laptop might be a better option.

Sorry to barge into the thread but I too am a rank amateur when it comes connecting to the internet by cellphone and laptop. Just to really show my ignorance, how do I go about connecting the cellphone to the laptop? Use the USB cable? Also, Monty, as you sound quite knowledgeable on these things, is my phone likely to be compatible, it's a Nokia 5310, has bluetooth, and connects to the internet by mistake when I push the wrong button, although I have never used it for internet intentionally. As the wifi connection at my condo is extremely unreliable I wondered if connecting using AIS and the laptop might be a better option.

Download Nokia Pc suite http://europe.nokia.com/pcsuite and follow the instructions for connection either by bluetooth or by USB cable if you have anymore problems post back

Download Nokia Pc suite http://europe.nokia.com/pcsuite and follow the instructions for connection either by bluetooth or by USB cable if you have anymore problems post back

Thanks or the rapid response. Now connected using my phone, currently much better than my wi-fi. Thanks a lot for you help.

DTAC are currently offering some nice deals. 40 hours for 99 baht per month. etc. Their network seems to be very good (fast). In BANGKOK. No experience elsewhere.

If you buy DTAC sim check for promotions. might be 400 a month unlimited.