American settlement

On 11/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, charleskerins said:

Anyone ever sell a house in America while in Thailand or overseas?  Did you have to go to the Embassy to get papers notarized?  TIA

I sold a rental property in Denver two years ago remotely from Thailand. All done with Docusign app. No embassy inputs necessary. Smooth as glass.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, trandall said:

Yes, I had to make an appointment with the embassy in Bangkok to get the notary service. They did charge me $50 per signature and I had to sign 11 times, so my total was $550. I though this was exorbitant, but it was cheaper than a round trip ticket back to the states. 

It is exorbitant , I need nine signatures  so 450$ . Did you need witnesses?

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Yes, they are criminals aren't they. When I went I didn't know the price and was shocked, but got to do it.

Come on now they must be very busy       lots of stress for Farangs in Thailand     and they only accept cash , money order ,or certified check. 

14 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Help me out here  and gee American Embassy makes it hard 

I have looked over the settlement papers .  There is no place on the papers for witnesses to sign. The Embassy website states that they will not provide witnesses  and you should check the paperwork to see if you need witnesses and how many.  I checked the paperwork I don't appear to need any witnesses.     As an added obstacle if you need witnesses you must MAKE a separate appointment for them. WTH?  Also someone told me Thai citizens are not allowed at the Consulate ?   

Weigh in Folks weigh in.

The Embassy staff will notarize signatures. If your document has no requirement for witnesses to sign, then there would be no signatures of witnesses to notarize.  If you documents only require your signature one time, then the fee will only be $50 - if more than one time, then it will be $50 times the number of times you have to sign a document.

1 minute ago, soisanuk said:

The Embassy staff will notarize signatures. If your document has no requirement for witnesses to sign, then there would be no signatures of witnesses to notarize.  If you documents only require your signature one time, then the fee will only be $50 - if more than one time, then it will be $50 times the number of times you have to sign a document.

Yep  9 x 50  $450   ouch

I sold my home in Connecticut last year while in Thailand.  At first the realtor asked for 3 documents to be notarized by US Embassy.  It was a 3 week wait for an appointment at that time.  Went to a law office in Jomtien and had them notarize the documents, sent them by DHL and lo-and-behold, it worked.  Cost 1000 baht.

I would say worth trying that first and save the frustration, time and money of going to US Embassy.  If it doesn't work, you don't lose too much.

2 minutes ago, n8sail said:

I sold my home in Connecticut last year while in Thailand.  At first the realtor asked for 3 documents to be notarized by US Embassy.  It was a 3 week wait for an appointment at that time.  Went to a law office in Jomtien and had them notarize the documents, sent them by DHL and lo-and-behold, it worked.  Cost 1000 baht.

I would say worth trying that first and save the frustration, time and money of going to US Embassy.  If it doesn't work, you don't lose too much.

I have a 20 page"deed package" 9 signatures required .Your realtor and settlement  company accepted a Thai notary?

Just now, charleskerins said:

I have a 20 page"deed package" 9 signatures required .Your realtor and settlement  company accepted a Thai notary?

Yes.  To be clear, they didn't think it would be accepted, but in the end they did accept the Thai notary.  I used Thai888 Law Office, Jeab is the woman's name I believe.  I brought a friend to be a witness as two were required, but they actually just used another person in the office as the witness.

2 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Yes.  To be clear, they didn't think it would be accepted, but in the end they did accept the Thai notary.  I used Thai888 Law Office, Jeab is the woman's name I believe.  I brought a friend to be a witness as two were required, but they actually just used another person in the office as the witness.

okay - I just prepared an email to send to the settlement agent I don't think they will accept it but I am going to ask. 

Thanks   I am near Phitsanulok  so that would probably be my best bet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Help me out here  and gee American Embassy makes it hard 

I have looked over the settlement papers .  There is no place on the papers for witnesses to sign. The Embassy website states that they will not provide witnesses  and you should check the paperwork to see if you need witnesses and how many.  I checked the paperwork I don't appear to need any witnesses.     As an added obstacle if you need witnesses you must MAKE a separate appointment for them. WTH?  Also someone told me Thai citizens are not allowed at the Consulate ?   

Weigh in Folks weigh in.

I only need the power of attorney notarized at US Consulate Bangkok. Need 2 witnesses due to Florida requirement at the time. Brought my Thai door neighbor as a witness he doesn’t speak English other than yes no simple words. I didn’t get an appointment for him. At sign in guard desk told them he’s witnessing a document. When Thai witness signed the officer said I couldn’t help him… 

Sent the notarized POA to sister and lawyer wouldn’t except because only one witness and needed two. The Florida statue 

says the person notarizing document as notary (not witness) signature is acceptable as witness. Hopefully your state is not one of the painful ones. 

7 hours ago, charleskerins said:

It is exorbitant , I need nine signatures  so 450$ . Did you need witnesses?

No witnesses were required, only my passport. I also had signatures notarized at the Chiang Mai Consulate. It was the same experience - make an appointment and pay $50 per signature. They did take a credit card for payment, so I didn't have to look around for US dollars to pay the fee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charleskerins said:

okay - I just prepared an email to send to the settlement agent I don't think they will accept it but I am going to ask. 

Thanks   I am near Phitsanulok  so that would probably be my best bet.

Again , 

you don't need to do all that. 

IN Florida it is called a RON closing.

Below is a copy of the initial email I got from My title company (In FL the title company does the closing) "

I removed the name of the agent for privacy reasons. 

" forgot to ask for your current address in Asia. I will need it to set-up the RON closing. Do you have a camera on your computer? You will need it for the video session with the notary.

Thanks,

Closing Assistant

Southern Title Holding Company, LLC

"

Talk to your closing agent and asl them to set up a Remote, Online Closing  (RON) (assuming it is available at your state) and if you have a camera on your phone or Laptop  ask for a RON notary. I think it was $120, but well worth it, , Last closing we did it in 20 minutes while I was sitting in my Livingroom in Thailand 

3 hours ago, trandall said:

No witnesses were required, only my passport. I also had signatures notarized at the Chiang Mai Consulate. It was the same experience - make an appointment and pay $50 per signature. They did take a credit card for payment, so I didn't have to look around for US dollars to pay the fee.

How long ago ? I thought they only accepted check ,cash or money order.  I need 10 signatures.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Again , 

you don't need to do all that. 

IN Florida it is called a RON closing.

Below is a copy of the initial email I got from My title company (In FL the title company does the closing) "

I removed the name of the agent for privacy reasons. 

" forgot to ask for your current address in Asia. I will need it to set-up the RON closing. Do you have a camera on your computer? You will need it for the video session with the notary.

Thanks,

Closing Assistant

Southern Title Holding Company, LLC

"

Talk to your closing agent and asl them to set up a Remote, Online Closing  (RON) (assuming it is available at your state) and if you have a camera on your phone or Laptop  ask for a RON notary. I think it was $120, but well worth it, , Last closing we did it in 20 minutes while I was sitting in my Livingroom in Thailand 

Yes investigated that -RON says you must have a strong internet connection -I do not. So you did the RON during your settlement not before?

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

For me it was 2 years ago and I paid with US Credit Card at the embassy.

Ok thanks .  

• U.S. Dollars or Thai Baht (Old and/or damaged currency cannot be accepted)
  • Most major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover)
  • Debit Cards from most major U.S. banks (Other foreign debit cards are NOT accepted)

Edited by charleskerins
addition

9 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Yes investigated that -RON says you must have a strong internet connection -I do not. So you did the RON during your settlement not before?

Strong enough internet to have a two way teleconference. 

You might be able to do it at an internet cafe,(Not sure because I never done it there)

or create a hotspot with your telephone.

It's been a year since I last did it , For me it was a straightforward deal , because I did not have a mortgage on my properties, so my end was simple. 

Title company send me the settlement, i reviewed it, I send it back for some corrections, 

revised settlement was send back to me, title company set up an appointment with the RON notary

I logged on at the link provided to me , I guess there are many subcontractors that work for the notary agency. A very nice guy answered, and he walked me trough what needed to be signed. 

It was very easy. 

We live in Khon Kaen and it would had been a hassle to go all the way to BKK and between airfare and hotel, it would had cost me a lot more than the notary fee. Also the US Embassy will notarize what ever you bring them, where the notory , already had the package from the Title company, and knew what we needed to sign. 

Your title company should be able to set the whole thing up for you. Simply ask them what they think. 

But I think that since you can log on and do it  any time, you can make sure you do it where you have good internet. 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Strong enough internet to have a two way teleconference. 

You might be able to do it at an internet cafe,(Not sure because I never done it there)

or create a hotspot with your telephone.

It's been a year since I last did it , For me it was a straightforward deal , because I did not have a mortgage on my properties, so my end was simple. 

Title company send me the settlement, i reviewed it, I send it back for some corrections, 

revised settlement was send back to me, title company set up an appointment with the RON notary

I logged on at the link provided to me , I guess there are many subcontractors that work for the notary agency. A very nice guy answered, and he walked me trough what needed to be signed. 

It was very easy. 

We live in Khon Kaen and it would had been a hassle to go all the way to BKK and between airfare and hotel, it would had cost me a lot more than the notary fee. Also the US Embassy will notarize what ever you bring them, where the notory , already had the package from the Title company, and knew what we needed to sign. 

Your title company should be able to set the whole thing up for you. Simply ask them what they think. 

But I think that since you can log on and do it  any time, you can make sure you do it where you have good internet. 

i asked them they prefer I go to the Embassy.

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Sorry to hear that, as I said , for me it was Very easy. I hope you are near the Embassy.. 

Not sure why they would say that. There might be some complication that requires you do , as I said mine was very straightforward,

Or perhaps they are not entirely sure how to do a RON or don't want to bother  because it requires extra work on their part. 

Good luck! 

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Sorry to hear that, as I said , for me it was Very easy. I hope you are near the Embassy.. 

Not sure why they would say that. There might be some complication that requires you do , as I said mine was very straightforward,

Or perhaps they are not entirely sure how to do a RON or don't want to bother  because it requires extra work on their part. 

Good luck! 

i think this is the answer    " or don't want to bother  because it requires extra work on their part. "    Thanks for your help.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:30 PM, charleskerins said:

How long ago ? I thought they only accepted check ,cash or money order.  I need 10 signatures.

It was two years ago at the Chiang Mai Consulate. The first time I went to Bangkok and took US dollars. I don't know if Bangkok Embassy takes credit cards, but Chiang Mai took them.