American settlement

8 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Anyone ever sell a house in America while in Thailand or overseas?  Did you have to go to the Embassy to get papers notarized?  TIA

I sold property. The US embassy charges $50. per signature.

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes and yes.

Edit:  but this was almost 30 years ago - it may be possible to do online for some states now.  Your realter should know.

Wait time for notary service in Bangkok can be a very long time - weeks. I ended going to Vientiene for embassy notary services. Much shorter wait time. Plan ahead!

54 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes and yes.

Edit:  but this was almost 30 years ago - it may be possible to do online for some states now.  Your realter should know.

The settlement agent wants me to go to the Embassy ,this after i was told I didn't need to be at settlement everything can be via the internet edocu sign.

14 minutes ago, setbkk said:

Wait time for notary service in Bangkok can be a very long time - weeks. I ended going to Vientiene for embassy notary services. Much shorter wait time. Plan ahead!

I have an appointment in Chiang Mai  12/12/23   will the Embassy fax the notarized papers back to the settlement agent?  Settlement is 12/29.

10 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

50 dollars?????

yes dollars. I did doc u sign for all the realtor paperwork. There was some papers, I forget what that required my notarized signatures but 2 signatures was 100 USD. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

I have an appointment in Chiang Mai  12/12/23   will the Embassy fax the notarized papers back to the settlement agent?  Settlement is 12/29.

The originals will most likely be needed. 

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

i think the realtor dropped the ball , makes sense what  you say .Notarized originals that I will probably have to Fed Ex back?  Damn

I sold a condo I owned in America while living in Thailand and the American Embassy was not involved at all.   My Thai partner's brother, living in the US, handled the sale.  Found the buyer using Craigslist; there were no realtors involved.  Settlement attorney handled the paperwork.  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, charleskerins said:

They will only provide the notarization stamp/signature - you will have to return by courier service asap (my realter included return mailer ((although still had to pay as not accepted)) - make sure you have correct address). 

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

They will only provide the notarization stamp/signature - you will have to return by courier service asap (my realter included return mailer ((although still had to pay as not accepted)) - make sure you have correct address). 

Yes just received deed package via email ,now I need to get it printed.  Nine notarized signatures required  !   Return address included via Fed Ex.What are your thoughts on getting 2 copies notarized ,mailing the first one giving it 7 days to arrive ,if they don't receive it send the second one?  Thanks        Also after all this they still want me to designate someone to go to settlement?

10 hours ago, newnative said:

I sold a condo I owned in America while living in Thailand and the American Embassy was not involved at all.   My Thai partner's brother, living in the US, handled the sale.  Found the buyer using Craigslist; there were no realtors involved.  Settlement attorney handled the paperwork.  

I need nine notarized signatures 

4 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Yes just received deed package via email ,now I need to get it printed.  Nine notarized signatures required  !   Return address included via Fed Ex.What are your thoughts on getting 2 copies notarized ,mailing the first one giving it 7 days to arrive ,if they don't receive it send the second one?  Thanks        Also after all this they still want me to designate someone to go to settlement?

Believe you will get all for one price if all part of agreement - mine included several (I am not the 'partial name' persons owing back tax at a totally different address) and these required separate charges.  Also a copy I suspect would be additional charge and should not be needed.  Believe I gave realter power of attorney for selling property.  Did not have to send anyone else.  This was Florida some 29 years ago however.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you will get all for one price if all part of agreement - mine included several (I am not the 'partial name' persons owing back tax at a totally different address) and these required separate charges.  Also a copy I suspect would be additional charge and should not be needed.  Believe I gave realter power of attorney for selling property.  Did not have to send anyone else.  This was Florida some 29 years ago however.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks , not going POA route too complicated in PA.

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Interesting. For me the most interesting part is the mention of Craigslist. I thought Craigslist was no longer allowed to operate any of it's categories anywhere. Is that correct? Or... 

18 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Anyone ever sell a house in America while in Thailand or overseas?  Did you have to go to the Embassy to get papers notarized?  TIA

If you are in a hurry you might take a look at the notarize.com website. You upload the document to them, then using audio/video session with a notary they verify your identity. They stamp and sign your uploaded document. You can then download the notarized document. Of course, check with who ever is receiving the document if they accept this type of notary. I needed a document notarized for my pension, and they accepted it.  Quick and you don't need to leave the comfort of your home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BKK57 said:

If you are in a hurry you might take a look at the notarize.com website. You upload the document to them, then using audio/video session with a notary they verify your identity. They stamp and sign your uploaded document. You can then download the notarized document. Of course, check with who ever is receiving the document if they accept this type of notary. I needed a document notarized for my pension, and they accepted it.  Quick and you don't need to leave the comfort of your home.

Thanks but  pretty sure it must be done by the American Embassy.

11 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Thanks but  pretty sure it must be done by the American Embassy.

Many states now accept online notary service, which may not have been the case in years past.

Contains a list of states accepting online legal notorization:

https://www.docverify.com/Products/E-Notaries/What-States-Allow-Electronic-Notary#:~:text=DocVerify's platform can be used,%2C Nevada%2C New Jersey%2C New 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Yes as the documents sent to me to sign  had to be notarized. But, that was almost 20 years ago The fee then was US$50 for first document and US$25 for each additional document.  Now their notary fee is US$50 for each document.

Yes. Sold house @ 5 years ago. I’m in Thailand and my sister in had power of attorney to save from me flying to US. 

Paperwork had to be notarized . Asked if Thai notary was acceptable which was t and had to go to US Consulate Bangkok I’m in Udon Thani province. 

As mentioned early States have different requirements for power of attorney notary. Check your state on internet to be sure. The consulate appointments were long waits. Luckily I looked on Citizen Services and found email address explained 

my situation and a kind person got me in the next week….   Good luck once notarized it was smooth sailing..

Be sure to take note of number of witnesses required….. 

3 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Yes. Sold house @ 5 years ago. I’m in Thailand and my sister in had power of attorney to save from me flying to US. 

Paperwork had to be notarized . Asked if Thai notary was acceptable which was t and had to go to US Consulate Bangkok I’m in Udon Thani province. 

As mentioned early States have different requirements for power of attorney notary. Check your state on internet to be sure. The consulate appointments were long waits. Luckily I looked on Citizen Services and found email address explained 

my situation and a kind person got me in the next week….   Good luck once notarized it was smooth sailing..

Good info  Thanks  -Two witnesses  , i have a scheduled appointment in Chiang Mai.   I need to bring the witnesses??     Not doing POA      "The consulate appointments were long waits."   to get one or once you were there?  

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Yes as the documents sent to me to sign  had to be notarized. But, that was almost 20 years ago The fee then was US$50 for first document and US$25 for each additional document.  Now their notary fee is US$50 for each document.

Well my settlement sheet is 20 pages long is that one document ? If not this will be expensive.

Help me out here  and gee American Embassy makes it hard 

I have looked over the settlement papers .  There is no place on the papers for witnesses to sign. The Embassy website states that they will not provide witnesses  and you should check the paperwork to see if you need witnesses and how many.  I checked the paperwork I don't appear to need any witnesses.     As an added obstacle if you need witnesses you must MAKE a separate appointment for them. WTH?  Also someone told me Thai citizens are not allowed at the Consulate ?   

Weigh in Folks weigh in.

On 11/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, charleskerins said:

I have a couple of times. 

Not nessacery. Everting can be done online , including the Notarization. 

Talk to your realtor about it. 

Google the state you are in and online notarization

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Interesting. For me the most interesting part is the mention of Craigslist. I thought Craigslist was no longer allowed to operate any of it's categories anywhere. Is that correct? Or... 

I used it some years ago in the US--don't know what the situation is there now.  The real estate section still works here in Thailand.

Yes, I had to make an appointment with the embassy in Bangkok to get the notary service. They did charge me $50 per signature and I had to sign 11 times, so my total was $550. I though this was exorbitant, but it was cheaper than a round trip ticket back to the states. 

12 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I agree that different states have different requirements.  When I did mine, I was able to use notarized documents by a Thai lawyer/notary, so I didn't have to go to the Embassy and it was cheaper.

6 hours ago, trandall said:

Yes, I had to make an appointment with the embassy in Bangkok to get the notary service. They did charge me $50 per signature and I had to sign 11 times, so my total was $550. I though this was exorbitant, but it was cheaper than a round trip ticket back to the states. 

Yes, they are criminals aren't they. When I went I didn't know the price and was shocked, but got to do it.