Register Marriage In Uk

Myself and my wife plan on going back to the UK for a few weeks at the end of August. We've been a few times before on holiday but this time we're thinking about registering our marriage there, rather than Thailand (we've only had the church and temple do's in BKK so far).

Are there any advantages towards registering there rather than here in Thailand? We're not worried about immigration issues right now as we currently have no plans to settle back there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Myself and my wife plan on going back to the UK for a few weeks at the end of August. We've been a few times before on holiday but this time we're thinking about registering our marriage there, rather than Thailand (we've only had the church and temple do's in BKK so far).

Are there any advantages towards registering there rather than here in Thailand? We're not worried about immigration issues right now as we currently have no plans to settle back there.

Thanks for the feedback!

None at all - if you're fully married and have your certificate in Thailand then you are in the eyes of the law your marriage is fully legally and accepted in the UK.

Edited by technocracy

Thanks for the feedback!

- if you're fully married and have your certificate in Thailand ..

They aren't.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, we're not legally married as yet for no other reason but we haven't had the time to get to the register

during the daytime.

Main reason for asking is if it would make life easier for the wife if we ever did decided to relocate to the UK.

As said there is no advantage either way as either marriage certificate is recognised worldwide (For a Thai certificate you would have to have an English translation for outside Thailand) however if you intend to get married in the UK you would have to apply for a 'visa for marriage ' and to do that you would have to include "evidence of marriage booking and arrangements for ceremony in the UK" in your application which may be difficult to arrange while living in Thailand.

As far as I'm aware, in the event of a divorce the laws of the country in which the divorce takes place apply and marriage and divorce dont have to be in the same country.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Just to add to this...

We married in Thailand last year. So far, we have not registered our marriage back here in the UK and it hasn't caused any problems... yet!

How do you registar your marriage over here? We only have a Thai marriage certificate and no translation.

Cheers

We married in Thailand last year. So far, we have not registered our marriage back here in the UK and it hasn't caused any problems... yet!

How do you registar your marriage over here? We only have a Thai marriage certificate and no translation.

You don't need to have it 'registered' in the UK, you're already married. If it was a legal marriage in Thailand, it's automatically a legal marriage in the UK. Just arrange to have the marriage certificate translated so that it can actually be read if you want to use it in the UK or, eg, for a Schengen visa to travel to Europe.

thankyou for your succinct answer. so how does that work then. do you just fax them a copy of your tubplian som rot and ask for 'double bubble'? or must you schlep back to blighty with your spouse to claim in person, when the time comes?

thankyou for your succinct answer. so how does that work then.

I don't know how you claim if you are living overseas when you become eligible to claim but if you are claiming for pension while you are in the UK, you don't even have to married, you just need to have a partner to be eligible.

If you know how you would claim should you have a UK marriage certificate then it will be exactly the same because, as already said, the Thai marriage certificate (with a certified translation) is recognised worldwide.

I think there is a real advantage fo getting married in UK the main one is you don't need to pay for translated notarized copies of your marriage certificate. It can really add up if you need to take her to other countries before she gets the UK passport. Also you should compare getting divorced just in case...

My experience was I wish I could have married at home. In fact we are thinking once she has her passport to divorce and remarry at home.

A Thai woman married to a foreigner with the marriage registered in Thailand may not be able to own land in Thailand. Check this out if land ownership is a concern.

Wrong, it makes no difference if married to a falang or not, I know, I have done it.

That law was changed about 10 years ago

Edited by the scouser
Cheesies removed for being likely to inflame.

Notarized copies - in Thailand what will that set you back 500baht maybe (it'd cost $10 in Laos)?? But we are obviously lucky here as the marriage certificate is in English and Lao - which is handy.

But either way as has been said it makes no difference whatsoever where you are married as long as you have the full paperwork.

My marriage was in Laos and I didn't register it in the UK and she still got a visa go live in the UK no problems (not that we will! :o ).

I think there is a real advantage fo getting married in UK the main one is you don't need to pay for translated notarized copies of your marriage certificate. It can really add up if you need to take her to other countries before she gets the UK passport. Also you should compare getting divorced just in case...

My experience was I wish I could have married at home. In fact we are thinking once she has her passport to divorce and remarry at home.

I got married in Thailand for under £400 (Including rings and a small "do").....the average cost of a wedding in UK is meant to be around £11k........IMO that is a lot of translations..........

In any case, no reason why yer cannot stack up on a few spare translated marriage Certs in Thailand.

Where you are married does NOT define where a divorce can take place.

You can not marry in the uk if your partner is on a tourist visa she must have a fiancee' visa and must marry within six months or she must return back to Thailand.

Paragraphs 56D and E of the Immigration Rules refer:-

Visitors seeking to enter for the purposes of marriage

Requirements for leave to enter as a visitor for marriage

56D. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership are that he:

(i) meets the requirements set out in paragraph 41 for entry as a visitor; and

(ii) can show that he intends to give notice of marriage or civil partnership, or marry or form a civil partnership, in the United Kingdom within the period for which entry is sought; and

(iii) can produce satisfactory evidence, if required to do so, of the arrangements for giving notice of marriage or civil partnership, or for his wedding or civil partnership ceremony to take place, in the United Kingdom during the period for which entry is sought; and

(iv) holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

Leave to enter as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership

56E. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership may be admitted for a period not exceeding 6 months, subject to a condition prohibiting employment, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 56D is met.

So a visitor may get married in the UK, but only if the visit visa specifically allows it. Also, this type of visa does not lead to settlement.

Scouse.

thankyou for your succinct answer. so how does that work then.

I don't know how you claim if you are living overseas when you become eligible to claim but if you are claiming for pension while you are in the UK, you don't even have to married, you just need to have a partner to be eligible.

If you know how you would claim should you have a UK marriage certificate then it will be exactly the same because, as already said, the Thai marriage certificate (with a certified translation) is recognised worldwide.

Living outside of the UK You need to apply for the neccessary forms at :Departmentfor work and pensions and they will need your National Insurance number , look in Govrnment of UK for address as I only have the old one . To obtain a pension for your wife you will need to be legally married , they do not accept 'Common law arraingments , hope this helps .

The Germans have to have the marriage document legislated at the embassy.

The owned land by a farangs wife has to be sold one year after her death.

Ok., that will not happen too often, that she dies earlier.

We married in Thailand and got certificate.When we returned to UK i thought we had to register the marriage there aswell but you dont,all they said was to keep proof of thai marriage in security box,but even that was totally up to us if we were worried about it.