Breakfast Dinner Tea

macb

Those of us living in the villages full time what on your menu from day today :

I notice that there does not seem to be any difference between breakfast Dinner Tea when it comes to Issan eating

Breakfast is normally Chicken/Fish off the bbq, or maybe left over dtom Neua from the night before, or Laap something, the odd rat every now and again... with Som Tam

Lunch as above

Dinner - dtom summat / Steamed fish and vegetables, Som Tam, or maybe Pad Pak, or a Pad prik summat or gairng summat... pretty much the same as breakfast

All with sticky rice

Totster :o

Breakfast is normally Chicken/Fish off the bbq, or maybe left over dtom Neua from the night before, or Laap something, the odd rat every now and again... with Som Tam

Lunch as above

Dinner - dtom summat / Steamed fish and vegetables, Som Tam, or maybe Pad Pak, or a Pad prik summat or gairng summat... pretty much the same as breakfast

All with sticky rice

Is that what you eat as well ?

Lunch as above

All with sticky rice

Is that what you eat as well ?

Certainly is

totster :D

The wife and I have recently made the unfortunate move to Sydney (To work & save money so we can move back to Thailand for good asap). However, when we were living in her village we pretty existed on what Totster listed with the addition of BBQ pork and a variety of insects. Leftovers evolve into the next meal with some new additions.

Now, in Sydney we still eat the same thing but with less sticky rice (I eat too much much of it and tend to stack on the kilos!) and, unfortunately, minus the insects. My wife only likes Thai food and luckily I'm not to fond of western food so it works out fine (Although I do need my occasional fix of vegemite toast).

Sounds like our menu both in AUS and in LOS, I have been rice almost every day for 7 years now and dont really feel like I had a full meal with out it.

I must admit its taken a long time for my wife to learn about great wine, chesse & bread but she now has a good idea what is good and what is great

I dont live there full time but when we are in the village, the food is my biggest fear/hurdle.

I take as much farang food as I can from the nearest city in the form of cans, bacon, spuds ect. and I also take along some spices and what not from my country New Zealand.

I like to cook and the village people love to try something new. I never take enough.

I would never eat insects and the only farang that I have spoken with about this have eaten the things only when they were drunk. A bit of a dare.

Some of the food I see the family eat turns my stomach, even the smell.

Green eggs in hot chilly slop for breakfast???

They can keep it.

They way that I see it is the people that live in these small places are not rich and come from a subsistance background so, in the past, they have had to eat to eat anything that is not poisonous.

I dont.

Even if I ever do live there it will be close enough to a supermarket to buy farang food.

Good luck to anyone that can live on that stuff up there.

Dont forget the worm pills.

I would never eat insects

Insects taste great and I believe they are a good source of protein. It can be a little strange seeing undigested wings in the toilet the next day though.

As for worms, I have never had a problem and actually feel a lot healthier sticking to a 99% Thai diet. I do generally minimise the deep fried stuff though.

Even if I ever do live there it will be close enough to a supermarket to buy farang food.

Good luck to anyone that can live on that stuff up there.

I do draw the lines at some of the fish dishes but I dont see anything as being unhygienic and needing pills for worms, the only time that I have been realy sick from the food was in a western

style upmarket joint in Bangkok

Just doing dinner as us Tykes call it now (or lunch as some call it :o ), braised steak and onions with OXO, and then Bisto gravy plus mashed spuds, and veg and also homemade spotted dick and custard to finish. For breakfast toast with English marmalade, not sure about tea (dinner) yet. I do eat Thai every other day but never for breakfast :D

Just doing dinner as us Tykes call it now (or lunch as some call it :D ), braised steak and onions with OXO, and then Bisto gravy plus mashed spuds, and veg and also homemade spotted dick and custard to finish. For breakfast toast with English marmalade, not sure about tea (dinner) yet. I do eat Thai every other day but never for breakfast :D

My stomach is churning just thinking about it :D but each to their own :o

Just doing dinner as us Tykes call it now (or lunch as some call it :o ),

Well.. Some of us have our main meal in the evening (dinner) and so have lunch around midday/early afternoon (around the time you are now having your dinner).. each to their own I spose

totster :D

Well more or less the same as Tots well that's for the wife that is :

I do like Thai food but not to sure about Issan food prepared in the village plus I ain't learnt all the Thai names either :

I find I can now eat Som Tham minus the blara (stinky fish guts) khos poa moo khai dow 30 bht from Huairat Thai BBQ . Green/Red curry pork and pineapple. There's dishes from the night bazaar I like but forgot the THai names

I do eat a lot of Farang food and I like cooking, bread to me is like rice to the Thais, having said that the wife and I just had cheese on toast. The kitchen is stocked with the usual Farang stuff peanut butter Jam marmalade cheese , the freezer always has chicken breasts in Steak and minced beef.

When it rains they collect frogs now I cant eat them sorry, and the wife likes her bugs from the reservoir at Surin (Koi Senenge) ? got the spelling wrong I know.

I cant eat a lot of fish unless its fish and chips, sometimes I eat if cooked in chillies with oyster sauce.

Just like macb, I do not like very much Thai food. I can handle it a few times a week but still need my farang food. The bugs they eat is a great source of protien and the rice gives them the needed starch. All that said I will never insult a person that has prepared food for me and will eat it even if it takes a few more beers to wash it down.

Tsocr

I would never eat insects

Insects taste great and I believe they are a good source of protein. It can be a little strange seeing undigested wings in the toilet the next day though.

As for worms, I have never had a problem and actually feel a lot healthier sticking to a 99% Thai diet. I do generally minimise the deep fried stuff though.

So you dont eat the raw beef ( larb ) then?

Rice with pork, and sometimes chicken for breakfast. With a bit of sweet chilli sauce,

Same same for lunch

For dinner it's rice with either barbecued fish (buy it live at the market), and some kind of vegetable soup or noodles. or chicken and rice, sometimes with a bit of pork. The wife only eats sum tam when she has someone to share it with, and I cant eat that stuff yet. I guess I am still to much of a noob ;-)

And since we eat around 6-7 in the evening thats it, as we are still to full to eat anymore when it's lights out at 8-9 in the evening.

Last time I did bring some pasta, and minced meat, but plain forgot about it. The wife cooked it up for the crew fixing our house and that was a big success :-)

I