Forum upgrade in progress! ×

CCTV wifi camera distance from router?

Kenny202

Thinking about putting a little stand alone WIFI CCTV camera out side at the front of our home. Have used a couple before at home and business and they are remarkable. Even outside (under cover) still going strong after 4 years. Talking about the 400-600 baht ones you can buy...stand alone hard wired Wifi. Usually come with an app you can monitor from your phone, get alerts etc.

The area I have in mind at least 30 meters from the router...which is inside so through a thick block wall for the signal to get outside. I tried my phone wifi signal and it went from excellent (inside near the router) to good out in the exact location I will be putting the camera. I tried the internet and it seemed quite reasonable but not sure if it will be fast enough for video transmission (low res) from the CCTV. Will these things still record to the memory card even if they can't communicate with wifi effectively? If I am getting a "good" phone wifi reception should it be good enough for the camera? Appreciate any advice :-)