Pork prices sizzle down, fuelling October’s inflation cool-off

webfact

pork-market-asia.jpeg

A decline in pork prices significantly contributed to a reduction in the inflation rate in October, an anonymous figure within the Finance Ministry has revealed. The inflation experienced a year-on-year decrease of 0.31% in October, largely due to a 0.2% drop in energy prices, attributed to lower oil costs and employed subsidies to keep energy prices in check.

Moreover, food prices saw a decrease of 0.5% in October, with pork prices being a significant contributor. Despite a 0.2% price increase in ready-to-eat meals, there was a general decline in inflation during October.

This development comes as a relief to the ministry, as it alleviates some of the economic burden caused by the recent surge in global crude oil prices. A lower inflation rate is generally beneficial for the economy.

With regards to economic stability, public debt at the end of September accounted for 62.1% of GDP, comfortably below the 70% ceiling outlined in the fiscal discipline framework.

by Alex Morgan

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Oh yes the pork prices,i posted elsewhere (last week) that soon the pork prices would come down.

The reason?

I am not going to answer that,lets just say there was a incident that happened but not even the news is digging deeper.

The article is about pork prices dropping in October, i.e. over a month ago. So, whatever you posted last week cannot have affected the price in October!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, loong said:

The article is about pork prices dropping in October, i.e. over a month ago. So, whatever you posted last week cannot have affected the price in October!

You are right but i do think it is connected.

We never buy meat in big shops any way,i rather buy fresh meat at the local market.

I buy mine direct from  a family fun slaughter house near me... buy a half or quarter carcass for a great price.

Watch the l  pigs come in one door, go through the process and in the boot of my car half an hour later.

14 hours ago, jvs said:

Oh yes the pork prices,i posted elsewhere (last week) that soon the pork prices would come down.

The reason?

I am not going to answer that,lets just say there was a incident that happened but not even the news is digging deeper.

So what was the point of your post except to give further indecipherable cryptic nonsense?

12 hours ago, jvs said:

You are right but i do think it is connected.

We never buy meat in big shops any way,i rather buy fresh meat at the local market.

With a good helping of free flies and bugs, in unrefrigerated conditions, no doubt