Road getting a new asphalt coating

Morch

Work just started on our bit of the road - concrete roadblocks placed, drain covers off, orange lights at night (a nuisance when walking the dog). Current team on the job says they only do the drain covers bit - raising the concrete frame/edge so that it won't be covered by the new asphalt. Asked but they have no idea - how long does it take asphalt to set? At least set enough for the car to go in and out of the house?

Searched the internet and seems it's anywhere between 1-5 days, but most of these referred to construction work that looked way more serious. Judging from the other work they did around roads here, and the level the drain frames are increased, seems like 5 (10 at most) cm thick.

Any experience with that? Ideas?

Edited by Morch

Just now, treetops said:

Take the car out before they lay the asphalt and park it round the corner.

I would, but it's a village setting - either fields or houses under construction. Not really that safe.

I don't mind a short lock-down, if I could know (or at least, estimate) how long it would last.

What they did near me was put Asphalt on one side of the road so traffic could still flow, then then after a few days the other side, but I saw M/C using the new stuff after a few hours, normally after one day it's ok for cars. Are they using the hot stuff and the big road roller if so once it has cooled it is set. IMO  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I worked on a paving crew as a young man

If it's hot mix, after it is paved and the roller compacts it, it's pretty well solid, maybe wait an hour or so. As it cools it solidifies 

If it's cold mix, it won't "set up" but requires mechanical compaction to solidify it, again once it's compacted your good to go

It's not like concrete

When they did our road the Thais did not even wait an hour, drove on it while still hot.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replies. I think they will do the one side worked on, one side clear thing, but not sure. Also, aware of how Thai's treat new laid roads - asked here after failing to get much on answer locally. The cement road along the nearby canal is already cracked (a couple of years after being laid) as they couldn't bother waiting for it to set (and go a couple of extra minutes from the other side) and drove trucks back and forth.

I wouldn't mind leaving the road potholed, unmarked and slightly uneven - ugly for sure, but cars couldn't speed in front of the house, plus can hear them coming over the bend at night when walking the dog.

• Agree 1

The tech answer is asphalt takes 6 to 12 months to fully cure, and 48 to 72 hours to harden.  ref

There are 3 stages, 1. cool, (hours), 2. dry, lose volatiles (2-3 days), 3. cure, polymerize (6-12 months). 

Frankly I would just stomp on it with hard healed shoes and see if it's firm after cooling but be ware a hot noonday sun.  Of course, the faster you drive the less damage, so leave the house fast.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

The tech answer is asphalt takes 6 to 12 months to fully cure, and 48 to 72 hours to harden.  ref

There are 3 stages, 1. cool, (hours), 2. dry, lose volatiles (2-3 days), 3. cure, polymerize (6-12 months). 

Frankly I would just stomp on it with hard healed shoes and see if it's firm after cooling but be ware a hot noonday sun.  Of course, the faster you drive the less damage, so leave the house fast.

Thank you.

On 12/4/2023 at 8:08 AM, Morch said:

how long does it take asphalt to set? At least set enough for the car to go in and out of the house?

You can drive on it right after the heavy roller or drum has made the black tarmac compact. It's cement/concrete that needs protection during a curing-period, preferably 28 days and not less than three days.

• Thanks 1

Get a can of WD40 to clean the asphalt off your car's finish before it sets up and gets harder to remove.   Pay special attention to the lower running boards and down low where the asphalt sprays up from the tires.  Clean it quickly and you won't drive around for months with tar spots.

WD40 is not the absolute best stuff out there for the purpose, but it works quite well.  We also used Johnson's Baby Oil (or any generic mineral oil) quite successfully.  Mineral spirits (paint thinner, but not the real hot solvent in lacquer thinner) works, too.  Of course, keep a few clean rags...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Get a can of WD40 to clean the asphalt off your car's finish before it sets up and gets harder to remove.   Pay special attention to the lower running boards and down low where the asphalt sprays up from the tires.  Clean it quickly and you won't drive around for months with tar spots.

WD40 is not the absolute best stuff out there for the purpose, but it works quite well.  We also used Johnson's Baby Oil (or any generic mineral oil) quite successfully.  Mineral spirits (paint thinner, but not the real hot solvent in lacquer thinner) works, too.  Of course, keep a few clean rags...

Thanks, the Mrs. will appreciate it. Was what she worried about (had this sometime ago on a new road here).