Help with Work Permit procedure

What's the correct process for cancelling a work permit ?

What docs are required ? Resignation letter, tax papers, do I get X amount of days to leave Thailand ? Any help appreciated.

If I go another route, can I move the work permit from one company to another or is it a fresh application ?

Thanks

You can't move work permit from one company to another.

But you can start applying for one before the previous one is returned. The resignation date can be in the future, and you could (at least in the past) move from one work permit to another without the need to leave the country, you would just need to start preparing new work permit early enough that you can just go back with cancellation form (you need to print 2 copies, one labour department keeps, the other is for you) as you'll need it to apply for new WP. You'd get 30 days WP if all paperwork is in order, and after that it gets extended to full year.

At least it used to be doable. But it's new work permit, can't move the old one to new company.

In between, once old one is cancelled you'd need to get 7 days extension on the day of resignation (your visa extension - unless you have 90 day multiple entry visa - expires on date of resignation) and ideally within that period get new work permit, and extend visa for a year again from there.

Hope this helps, while waiting for someone who did it more recently.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

once old one is cancelled you'd need to get 7 days extension on the day of resignation (your visa extension - unless you have 90 day multiple entry visa - expires on date of resignation) and ideally within that period get new work permit, and extend visa for a year again from there.

You have to apply for a 7 day "extension denied" extension and then you MUST leave the country, so your plan is highly flawed.

I am pretty sure that now you can have more than one employer on a work permit so possibly this might work;

Add new employer to work permit

Get termination letter from old employer

Get immigration paperwork from new employer

Go to immigration and cancel old extension and immediately apply for new extension

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

You have to apply for a 7 day "extension denied" extension and then you MUST leave the country, so your plan is highly flawed.

I am pretty sure that now you can have more than one employer on a work permit so possibly this might work;

Add new employer to work permit

Get termination letter from old employer

Get immigration paperwork from new employer

Go to immigration and cancel old extension and immediately apply for new extension

That's why I wrote that things may have changed, but above is what I've done last time I changed job before getting permanent residence, and it was doable. But things may have changed since.

And waiting for someone with more recent experience. So thanks Buddha you came along to help.