My HP Mini is giving me Maximum headaches

Furioso

HP ProDesk 600 G3 Desktop Mini running Windows 10 Pro. 

The problems I'm having are, well, problems I shouldn't have.

1. First it takes 6 minutes to boot, used to be quicker when I had the original HDD but I "upgraded to a 1 TB NVME.

2. After the upgrade I ended up with a 150GB C: Drive and a 300GB D: Drive with the other GB's unallocated. I'm sure there's a way to get it all on C: Drive, so yeah I need to get this fixed.

3. Finally,  I open approx 10 browser tabs and the Chrome browser locks up, I have to use task manager to "end process", then restart browser. Other browsers same thing happens. This happens almost daily. 

I've been dealing with these issues for awhile, I run CrystalDisk it says it's "97% Healthy". My friend tells me to get rid of my HP and buy a Mac Mini for approx 750 Euros but I'm a Windows addict. Super thanks in advance for any help you can provide, here's my specs:

HP ProDesk 600 G3 Desktop Mini

Intel Core i5-7500T processor

1 TB NVME Crucial P3 1TB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD(4 Partitions)

8GB DDR4 RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit ver. 22H2

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Do you have a lot of peripherals attached? Detach as many as possible and then reboot to see if it’s faster. 

I detached everything(wifi usb/ext HDD/logitech usb) and it still took 6 minutes to boot into windows. 

I assume you have no cd/dvd drives external or internal attached.

Boot process is often stalled by mobo getting no response from a bootable source, then waiting for timeout.

You could also check your BIOS to see that your main windows drive is the only bootable source.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

I assume you have no cd/dvd drives external or internal attached.

Boot process is often stalled by mobo getting no response from a bootable source, then waiting for timeout.

I've had this mini for about a year. It first came with a metal hdd, which booted up in about a minute. Then I bought a SSD and only used that for about a week before I upgraded to the NVME. Maybe it's timing out looking for the old hdd's idk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really strange, That should boot up in 30 secs.

What does windows  "create and partition disks" show?

Check in "device manager", are there some drivers missing or problems showing?

Maybe backup all your personal data, prepare a bootable USB with windows on it.

Plug USB in and boot it, delete all the partitions and format the whole NVME disk and reinstall windows.

Then partition your nvme disk and put your personal files back.

Edited by freeworld

Maybe try downloading a bootable Linux to a USB drive, and see if it works faster ? at least you will know if it is the OS or some hardware problems..

6 mins to boot wow my very old desktop take 21 - 34 seconds to boot windows 10

check what is starting when you boot, most items do not need to be there, find from time to time software will go back to starting up on boot which are not needed....... maybe disable some and see if start up is faster

I see on HP website there is a quite new bios update about Aug 2023.

Don't know if you updated it yet but be very careful if you want to update the BIOS.

HP ProDesk 600 G3 DM System BIOS (P22)
Type: BIOS
Version: 00.02.47 Rev.A
Operating systems: Windows 10 (64-bit) View All
Release date: Aug 4, 2023

Edited by freeworld

there is something that seems new in chrome i only discovered recently. if you move your mouse over the open tabs at the top of the browser and keep it there for a few seconds you can see how many mb's each is using. maybe your com is allocating to many resources to this. i would also check in the task manager the performance to see how my cpu is doing

i have 3 hp minis and i really love them. i upgraded the cpu's, maxed the ram and added an upgraded vga card. it works marvelously

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Right, don’t buy drives from lazada shopee amazon unless you are proficient at navigating the scam maze 

I did buy from Lazada. It seems legit;  Lazmall /28 4.98 Star ratings. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Really strange, That should boot up in 30 secs.

What does windows  "create and partition disks" show?

Check in "device manager", are there some drivers missing or problems showing?

Maybe backup all your personal data, prepare a bootable USB with windows on it.

Plug USB in and boot it, delete all the partitions and format the whole NVME disk and reinstall windows.

Then partition your nvme disk and put your personal files back.

I think this might fix it..I was lazy when I installed the Nvme and wound up creating 4 partitions, half of my Nvme is unallocated lol. Disk Management does say everything is healthy though.

So yes, it is time to get everything in order. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:11 AM, Furioso said:

I think this might fix it..I was lazy when I installed the Nvme and wound up creating 4 partitions, half of my Nvme is unallocated lol. Disk Management does say everything is healthy though.

So yes, it is time to get everything in order. 

Yeah, repartition the NVME. You don't need all those partitions. In fact, one will do. Adjust boot drives in BIOS. Disable any superfluous. 

Get back plenty of space for C:. Here's a free utility to use for checking space allocation:

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free.

Since you'll have plenty of space, you might set your Windows to hibernate at shutdown.  Should lead to a faster bootup.