German backpacker speaks out about rape ordeal on Koh Chang

webfact

Hope she will heal from this traumatic experience.

Personally, have never ever trusted guides, be they tour guides, spiritual guides or whatever scammers.

They all have in common to misguide people, leading them to dead-end roads! And when the guide is a guy misguiding a miss, it is even worse.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, geisha said:

So basically, you believe that being on a beach in daytime with a tour guide is dangerous? Or, don’t go walking alone on a quiet beach alone ? 
Great news for female travelers . 

Mice and solo female travelers are often assaulted.  The difference is that mice are aware of dangers around them and take precautions.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jesimps said:

If one of my daughters had told me that whilst in a foreign country, she'd gone with just a male tour guide for company, to a a secluded beach, I'd have been very angry with her. Because he was a tour guide didn't make him any less likely to become a sex offender. The poor girl didn't expect or deserve to be sexually assaulted, but I would advise her to use more caution in future.  

The question is how long has this animal been a tour guide, probably a self employed nutter who convinced her he was a responsible, respected experienced guide, but he was nothing but an opportunist sleaze bag

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

The question is how long has this animal been a tour guide, probably a self employed nutter who convinced her he was a responsible, respected experienced guide, but he was nothing but an opportunist sleaze bag

how many other offences weren't reported?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a horrifying revelation, a young German backpacker shared her traumatic experience of a sexual assault in Koh Chang, Trat province. As her attacker faces justice, the survivor broke her silence, urging caution to lone female travellers.

Florentina Retka, a 24 year old cruise ship worker, embarked on a solo adventure to Southeast Asia, seeking the sun-kissed shores of Thailand’s Koh Chang. Little did she know, her journey would take a harrowing turn when she booked a tour with 55 year old local guide Kasama Apichaisompon in February.

The idyllic day took a sinister turn when Kasama allegedly led Florentina to an isolated beach, far from the prying eyes of other tourists. As she paddled in the sea, Kasama assaulted her, robbing her of her dignity and respect.

Frozen with fear, Florentina recounted the horrifying moment when her assailant violated her in the water.

“He took something from me that day, my dignity, my respect.” She cautioned other solo female travellers to stay vigilant.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of explorekohchang.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Was this article written by a news reporter or by a poet?

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

I’m very dismayed to see so many comments that are engaging in victim blame – what sort of people post this stuff?

Victim blaming in any situation is harmful and wrong, but it is especially damaging in the context of holiday rape cases.

Victim blaming in holiday rape cases is especially harmful because it sends a message that women should not be able to enjoy their holidays without fear of violence. It also reinforces the idea that women are responsible for the safety of men’s behaviour, which is simply unfair and untrue.

These kind of remarks  reinforce harmful stereotypes about victim behaviour. Blaming victims for their assaults reinforces the idea that women are responsible for preventing their own rapes.

This can be especially harmful for women who are traveling or living abroad, as they may be more likely to be blamed for their assaults. It also raises the question of why people engage in these statements. “There but for the grace of God….”????

All this perpetuates the cycle of violence. When we blame victims, we send a message that rape is acceptable or inevitable under certain circumstances, They are normalising a culture of violence to women making it more likely that future assaults will occur.

These people are attempting to shift focus away from the perpetrator's actions; we are essentially saying that the rapist's actions were not entirely their faut, or that they were in some way justified or we might have  succumbed to the same urge. It creates a culture of impunity for rapists.

This “blame game” shames and silences victims - When victims are blamed for their assaults, they may feel too ashamed and afraid to come forward. This can prevent them from seeking help and support, and it can also make it more dificult for them to heal from their trauma. We can see from this report that the woman was reluctant to come forward – “the survivor broke her silence, urging caution to lone female travellers.” [Thaiger article]. This is a familiar pattern from previous incidents in Thailand when even the PM got involved with inappropriate comments.

In Thailand it also undermines the already fragile justice system. (as seen with the Prayuth comments)  When blame is apportioned to victims of assault , it can make it more difficult for them to get justice in the courts. This then strengthens the culture of impunity for rapists, which can only exacerbate the problem of sexual violence in the Kingdom.

I have not seen anyone blame her for what happened but a few have commented on her poor decisions. The guide is totally to blame but she could have done things to help prevent him having the opportunity to carry out this attack.

If I walked around downtown LA at night wearing gold chains, a Rolex and waving a wad of dollar notes while obviously drunk I would be increasing my chances of being mugged many times than if I was alert and blended in while walking there during the day. If I did get mugged it is entirely the mugger who is to blame but I made myself much more likely to be his victim.

An example -

I saw an episode of Travel sick where the guy was given fake clothes and video camera (it was a few years ago) then told to walk around Lima in Peru (I think it was) while undercover police watched. Within minutes he was mugged and stripped clean. The police, who knew this would happen, then rescued him unharmed.

Obviously the muggers are to blame but he made decisions that made it inevitable to happen.

Edited by chang1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

I have not seen anyone blame her for what happened but a few have commented on her poor decisions. The guide is totally to blame but she could have done things to help prevent him having the opportunity to carry out this attack.

If I walked around downtown LA at night wearing gold chains, a Rolex and waving a wad of dollar notes while obviously drunk I would be increasing my chances of being mugged many times than if I was alert and blended in while walking there during the day. If I did get mugged it is entirely the mugger who is to blame but I made myself much more likely to be his victim.

An example -

I saw an episode of Travel sick where the guy was given fake clothes and video camera (it was a few years ago) then told to walk around Lima in Peru (I think it was) while undercover police watched. Within minutes he was mugged and stripped clean. The police, who knew this would happen, then rescued him unharmed.

Obviously the muggers are to blame but he made decisions that made it inevitable to happen.

You are trying to justify victim blaming - this is sad becasue it underlines an unacceptable and blinkered set of values.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The suggestion that her gender and age is some sort of excuse, that's what could possibly go wrong.

What's wrong with you?

Nothing wrong with me, I'm healthy aged and never been attacked.. I used my brain.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/8/2023 at 12:07 PM, Modern Coding said:

Hope she will heal from this traumatic experience.

Personally, have never ever trusted guides, be they tour guides, spiritual guides or whatever scammers.

They all have in common to misguide people, leading them to dead-end roads! And when the guide is a guy misguiding a miss, it is even worse.

I never use guides. They turn the experience of a place into their experience of it, not yours. It's a manipulation of how you see new things. The only reason I would use them is it the trip was dangerous and they had special skills, like a mountain sherpa.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The suggestion that her gender and age is some sort of excuse, that's what could possibly go wrong.

What's wrong with you?

Perhaps you should ask the victim in this story the same question:

• She cautioned other solo female travellers to stay vigilant.
  • Florentina urges fellow female travellers to think twice before venturing alone in Thailand. Despite the support from local authorities.
  • “Don’t trust one person. It’s better to trust no one. Travel with companions, and stay safe.”

There are predators out there, and I for one believe that the choices we make play a huge role in whether we become prey.  A sad lesson she just learned, and (kudos to her for her courage) wants to pass on to other women so they don't suffer the same horror.

The alternative is to believe that it's all random and the choices we make play no part in our fate.  I reject that alternative.

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And you don't have tits and a fanny either.

Yes, he does. He's getting a bit flabby in the chest area.

He's one of those guys who looks better with his shirt ON. He's not one of those relaxed POOL guys. Usually, you can't tell though since he has a large selection of loose fitting shirts and if he does not take them off it does not really matter.

There's something that bothers me about the story. I don't want to blame the victim, but was there any forensic evidence when it happened in seawater? Or any other evidence? Or was it just an accusation?

There are nuts out there who make things up. Not sure what happened here. Sounds true just from listening to her on the tape. The next question is what do you do if it happens in an isolated spot and you can't prove anything, just believe the first person to say something? What if they are contradicting each other?

Edited by JimTripper

12 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

There's something that bothers me about the story. I don't want to blame the victim, but was there any forensic evidence when it happened in seawater? Or any other evidence? Or was it just an accusation?

There are nuts out there who make things up. Not sure what happened here. Sounds true just from listening to her on the tape. The next question is what do you do if it happens in an isolated spot and you can't prove anything, just believe the first person to say something? What if they are contradicting each other?

Forensic research of any rape inside water is very difficult, not to say impossible.

If he has a history, he hangs. If not, it's depending on both their testimony...and the goodwill of the judge(s).