ELCB On Electric Water Heater (Shower) No Longer Functioning.

Dmaxdan

Our bathroom's electric water heater has developed an intermittent fault.

Sometimes when you turn on the isolator switch outside the bathroom the power light on the heater doesn't light up or flickers on and off.

And sometimes it works normally.

I've tried to reset it using the ELCB but this doesn't appear to work at all any more.

It doesn't cut the power, and therefore you can't reset it. 

I'm wondering if something has corroded over time.

Does this sound like a terminal problem or something that could be repairable?

Could it be potentially dangerous!!!

I have no problem buying a new one but I'm wondering whether it is worth getting someone in to check it out first.

The heater is between 7 & 8 years old. 

The brand name is Clarte.

It is earthed.

Thanks in advance.🙏

Had similar problem. My Landlord's electrician said "common problem", he then proceded to disconnect the feeds in the main Condo Distribution Panel (DP), jumbled them up, then re-connected them. Must say, shower heater now working, however what's connected to what breaker is now a mystery. Had to create a new DP document. 

Bought a plug-in mains socket tester to assist in re-documenting the circuits, discovered that 87% of the wall sockets are wired back to front, i.e. the positive and negatives are reversed. Concluded that as Thai sockets are upside down (especially in my Condo block), the Earth pin is on the bottom compared to UK etc, which is on the top, they wire positive on the right, then install upside down!

As has been reported many times on this forum, the use of colour standards is a myth, to quote P.G. Wodehouse and Cole Porter, Anything Goes.

Some units have a standard RCBO inside so it's worth popping the lid off for a look-see.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, heaters are cheap as chips these days, just get a replacement unit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1