Foreigners who order spicy dishes but modify them to be not spicy.

Everyman

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

When the level of spice in some Thai dishes is too light, it tastes somewhat bland. 

The same Thai dish with too much spice is just too hot to be enjoyable.

Most of Thai Food must be hot - it is designed that way. Depends of taste and accomodation, of course but I found a way to determine the right spicyness: The pharyngual zone must feel burnng in its entirety. Then it is right for me.

Order "not spicy" is not appropriate. For papaya salat they usually ask the number of chillies (which may be extremely differently spicy)

Thai have thier standards for that: When they order 5 chillies the cook knows what is desired.

They lack this sensitivity if cooking a steak. It is advisable to order bleu resp. saignant to get even close to how a steak should be cooked. Missing experience, that's all.

Edited by moogradod

Depends what and where I order.  If know the vendor, than order accordingly; normal or not so spicy.

If don't know vendor, then not spicy ... but ... I travel w/cayenne pepper, and can spice it up, if wanting.   Never worry about them going crazy spicy, and ruining my meal.  Spicy is not a food, it's a flavor enhancer.  I prefer to take what I'm eating.

Thai chili is too acidic when they OD it.  Cayenne is half the heat on the  Scoville scale (50k vs 100k)

Scoville.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai food in Thailand there is of course a great deal of competition, so of course its cheaper than international cuisine.

Then there's this -

Phad Krapao, egg B60

Essentially same ingredients: hamburger B120++ (no egg)

Thai chilli's are not especially hot. I snack on them all the time like if wife is cooking or especially at restaurant and I'm super hungry - I eat the pik nam pla chilli's. I'm just talking about slowly nibbling not eating a mouthful.

I especially love pickled chilli's which are not hot at all. These I will eat by mouthful.

Always ok with Jalapeno even before I arrived here. I think the UK and N EU really suffer most from the cuisine

Edited by Fr87
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fr87 said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure what your point is there....  

Eating local style food is half the price?

erm.. is that a question ?

If its a statement... I still don't get the point you are attempting to address...

Of course local food is cheaper.... is that all you intended to state ?

Edited by richard_smith237

9 minutes ago, ningnong said:

My erections are more impressive when I eat a lot of chilies.

Not need to eat the chilis in a dish to still have benefits of the outcome in taste when it was used during the cooking process.

Proper chefs know that, as well that it is never the goal to actually burn people mouths. So this entire topic is nonsense as everyone has different preferences.

Says nothing about the dish as well if eating it with half a chili or ten.

OP clearly lacks social skills, is likely the reason his food orders get messed up too lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, Fr87 said:

Agreed. Why would anyone want to discuss the spiciness of Thai food on a Thai forum full of foreigners 🤔

Well nothing strange about that but to actually complain over who eats it spicy or not, or how people like to order, wtf… low.

22 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

1 You either know or you don't. Yummmie

2 It truly must be the unofficial national dish of Thailand or at least most commonly eaten

Like I said, had it once and it wasn't that special. 

However your second point might explain why all the YouTubers seem to go gaga over it.

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

However your second point might explain why all the YouTubers seem to go gaga over it.

Do they ???....     I'm mean, is there really a disproportionate amount of YouTubers going 'wow' over Pad Kapraw compared to Pat Thai, or Som-Tam, Tom-Yam, Khao-Soi, Larb Gai etc etc..  ???

I can't say I watch a lot of YouTube and I certainly don't watch a lot of YouTubers doing Thai trips and reviews etc...  so perhaps you are right and Pad Kapraw stands out well beyond any other dish as the one they all go nuts for...   

I think that Kapraw has been correctly used in this thread as its a perfect example of Thai food that can be easily made to different degrees of heat (spiciness).

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Some restaraunts will also ask about how spicy you would like your dish which is a good idea.

In theory its a good Idea but in practice its a waste of time, as its a very subjective matter.    I mean how would one reply   "not too spicy"  "medium" 

"normal"  each means different things to different people,  There is no standard, Until one can refer to something like the "Scoville scale" for reference any descriptions are pretty much meaningless, 

Don't really have a problem with spicy , its the sugar I cant be doing with,  When I ask for no sugar some of them look at me like I'm crazy,  I have started telling them I am diabetic  and that has proved rather successful.

I couldn't give a damn what other people eat, food is of course a very subjective matter,  I deliberately avoid tourist places, that helps

There are many Thai dishes that are not spicy at all, for those who do not like it hot.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As for desserts, apple pie or mince pies is about my limit.

Aw c'mon Britman what about Christmas pudding ?    

Reminds me I have to sort out my Turkey soon, I got a special stuffing planned for it too, involving a large chunk of brickweed 

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

PS. what's this obsession with pad krapow anyway

I think its because its one of those words that Thais can understand even when mispronounced by a westerner.    I once saw a guy get quite upset when his Khao pat gai   arrived  as khao pat khai 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do they ???....     I'm mean, is there really a disproportionate amount of YouTubers going 'wow' over Pad Kapraw compared to Pat Thai, or Som-Tam, Tom-Yam, Khao-Soi, Larb Gai etc etc..  ???

I can't say I watch a lot of YouTube and I certainly don't watch a lot of YouTubers doing Thai trips and reviews etc...  so perhaps you are right and Pad Kapraw stands out well beyond any other dish as the one they all go nuts for...   

I think that Kapraw has been correctly used in this thread as its a perfect example of Thai food that can be easily made to different degrees of heat (spiciness).

A few months ago, maybe more, there was a mini spate of YouTube travel vlogs that were posted on AN.

I watched a few of them and they all seemed to feature pad krapow a k.a. THE greatest Thai food ever!

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

PS. what's this obsession with pad krapow anyway?

It is a dish with less oil used, that is probably why most foreigners like it. It looks "clean".

I like it also with a fried egg on top.

As for the spicy, I can eat spicy even somtam upcountry, but there is spicy and spicy.

I will for example never buy any of the ready made Thai foods in Big C xtra in Pattaya, as that is actually a bag of peppers with some rice, meat bones and offal, and vegetables added.

It really requires some selection to find the restaurants that don't overdo on spicy, and in my opinion, that is to hide something

Edited by BenStark

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

PS. what's this obsession with pad krapow anyway? Had it once in 1998 and it was OK but not so special that I ever went back for it let alone rave about it on YouTube like all the newbies seem to.

I know, so overrated, especially with farang but also so many Thais circle jerk over it too.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean you order stir fried chicken ??

I mean, if you ask for a chicken pad grapao, they are just gonna give you stir fried chicken anyway, right? 

There are only usually a few basil leaves to flavor the meat

It really should more accurately be called 'stir fried chicken/pork with basil'

• Confused 1