Domestic vs International Travel Insurance

Hi, this is probably a dumb question, but I've never dealt with it before. This is the first year my company does not provide comprehensive worldwide international medical cover, so when I travel back to Thailand I need to purchase insurance.

Looking at my 2 week trip I'm getting "international insurance" quotes for around 2,500 - 4,000 THB. However, if I look at local domestic options, they run from 400 - 1000 THB.

So what is the difference? Besides not being repatriated to my work country (don't care) it's not clear how the policies differ. Medical costs are about the same. 

My one thought was that the domestic "Travel" literally means that - when you are physically travelling in a vehicle whereas the international option will cover anything that happens during holiday (barring drunk driving, extreme sports etc.) 

Thanks in advanve for any input.

International would cover luggage getting lost, some airline issues, possibly flights back in case of medical emergency. Domestic would (as far as I'm aware) not include these elements. Probably other stuff, plus the total sums you're covered for might be different.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

International would cover luggage getting lost, some airline issues, possibly flights back in case of medical emergency. Domestic would (as far as I'm aware) not include these elements. Probably other stuff, plus the total sums you're covered for might be different.

Yeah, I think the repatriation factor might be what makes the biggest difference in costs since medical repatriation is so expensive. Since that's not a worry for me, domestic might be all I need (if I'm seriously effed up I'll just stay at my home in Thailand anyway) 

Literally, the "devil is in the details"---obviously, they may appear to be the same, but they are not---review the policy details--all the "fine print", not just general categories--see for caps, co-pays, if only accidents, emergencies are covered--which is usually the case with travel insurance.

• Agree 1

Several years ago, taking a 3-week holiday to Thailand, I contacted my house Insurers who offered discounts for travel insurance to existing customers, who were a well-known top UK Insurance company.

I gave my travel destination and the fact I may also visit Vietnam.
"Ah, what you need is our 'International Worldwide' travel Insurance", exclaimed the advisor, which wasn't cheap, around £70.

Arriving in Bangkok, my connecting domestic flight to my final destination was cancelled (due to a technical fault) so I had to book an overnight stay in Bangkok.

The costs weren't much, but I kept receipts and on return to the UK submitted a claim.

They rejected the claim, referring to small print, which basically stated 'costs incurred due to delayed or cancelled flights were not covered outside the UK'.

The bastards get you one way or another.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Several years ago, taking a 3-week holiday to Thailand, I contacted my house Insurers who offered discounts for travel insurance to existing customers, who were a well-known top UK Insurance company.

I gave my travel destination and the fact I may also visit Vietnam.
"Ah, what you need is our 'International Worldwide' travel Insurance", exclaimed the advisor, which wasn't cheap, around £70.

Arriving in Bangkok, my connecting domestic flight to my final destination was cancelled (due to a technical fault) so I had to book an overnight stay in Bangkok.

The costs weren't much, but I kept receipts and on return to the UK submitted a claim.

They rejected the claim, referring to small print, which basically stated 'costs incurred due to delayed or cancelled flights were not covered outside the UK'.

The bastards get you one way or another.

Indeed they will. Just looked at one offer which excluded "any infection caused as the direct result of a laceration". So they'll pay for me to get stitched up but not for any medicine that might actually save my life 555