Question about Extension stay and change of passport

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You can show both passports upon entering the Kingdom, all valid visas are still valid in an otherwise expired and cancelled passport.

When back in Thailand you shall go to your local immigration office where you extension of stay is approved, and ask for your original visa and extension of stay being transferred to you new passport. Keep the letter that comes together with your new passport, the immigration office might wish a copy. Your new passport will be rubber stamped with confirmation of your original entry visa and latest extension of stay, and from that time you only need to show your new passport.

Example of visa-transfer...

Passport-visa-transfer.jpg.a1e8a3b079e012e5cd0870a85fcac935.jpg

Example of extension of stay transfer...

Passport-extension-transfer.jpg.8548c9db24051adf16094bde73732143.jpg

~

That's correct, but two remarks:

- He applied for the new Passport in his home-country so will not have an 'accompagning letter' with that new Passport as that only applies when aplying for the new passport at the Embassy of his home-country in Thailand.

- He can wait to do the stamp transfers till a moment that it is convenient for him to do so (e.g. when doing his 90-day report or when applying for his next 1-year extension of stay).

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

You can have your opinion , but why do you  need to qualify mine as "Rubbish"  and I told you .

"It has happened to me"  are you calling me a liar? 

Please see underlined section 

"In the past, if your passport expired within one year, you would be granted the permission to stay in Thailand until the passport expiry date.
Keywords: Mazars, Thailand, Legal, Visa, Immigration

21 November 2013

You could then ask the immigration officer to transfer the stamps to the new passports and get the permit placed in your new passport for free.

However, a new immigration policy (effective August 2013) requires you to restart the whole process for permit extension application once your new passport is received. A fee of 1,900 Baht must be paid for this extension and the relevant documents need to be prepared for the application.

Therefore, to avoid unnecessary paperwork and cost, please check your passport validity in advance before the permit extension application is required."

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Legal/Visas-for-Expiring-Passports#:~:text=In the past%2C if your,until the passport expiry date.&text=You could then ask the,your new passport for free.

My extension got moved to my new passport, in 2019.

Maybe the regulation that you quoted only applies when someone had received a truncated extension. (But there would be no logical reason to do that.)

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

You can show both passports upon entering the Kingdom, all valid visas are still valid in an otherwise expired and cancelled passport.

When back in Thailand you shall go to your local immigration office where you extension of stay is approved, and ask for your original visa and extension of stay being transferred to you new passport. Keep the letter that comes together with your new passport, the immigration office might wish a copy. Your new passport will be rubber stamped with confirmation of your original entry visa and latest extension of stay, and from that time you only need to show your new passport.

Example of visa-transfer...

Passport-visa-transfer.jpg.a1e8a3b079e012e5cd0870a85fcac935.jpg

Example of extension of stay transfer...

Passport-extension-transfer.jpg.8548c9db24051adf16094bde73732143.jpg

You appear to have totally missed the point that the passport expires before his extension of stay, and the he does not have time to get a new passport (ergo the op needs to check when his extension actually ends)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, judokrab said:

My extension got moved to my new passport, in 2019.

Maybe the regulation that you quoted only applies when someone had received a truncated extension. (But there would be no logical reason to do that.)

Not sure if there is such a thing as a truncated extension, As far as I know it is a one year extension for everyone. 

Mine was a normal one year extension to stay based on Marriage. 

I am not an expert on the Subject, all I can say is  what happened to me, what they told me at the IO 

and that  I am not the only one this has happened too,

So If I was you and my passport was expiring in less than a year at the time of my application I would consult with my  local IO before I made such application. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

You appear to have totally missed the point that the passport expires before his extension of stay, and the he does not have time to get a new passport (ergo the op needs to check when his extension actually ends)

OP however writes that his passport expires before his extension of stay:

I have an extension stay till next year around june / july .

however my passport will be expiring soon . I am travelling out of thailand and then coming back a month later with my new passport .

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

however my passport will be expiring soon . I am travelling out of thailand and then coming back a month later with my new passport .

And what I am saying is that it is not possible to have an extension beyond the passport's validity

And what I am saying is that it is not possible to have an extension beyond the passport's validity

If you read again, OP asks about how to to do with existing extension extension of stay. He don't mention when his passport expires, but he says that he already has an extension of stay until June/July next year and is changing his passport before the extension of stay expires. In that way, he will have a new passport for his next application for extension of stay.

On 12/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, khunPer said:

Your words 

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

He don't mention when his passport expires

Your words 

The OP clearly states that his passport expires before his extension

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Your words 

Your words 

The OP clearly states that his passport expires before his extension

Yes, and but not the date that his pasport expires, and he wish to get a new one before his extension of stay.

Please read OP again, the questions is about valid visa in the old passport, when he get his new one, before next application for extension of stay:

in this case ,what happens to my extension of stay ?

what should i do in this scenario ? I appreciate any advice / helpful info . 

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, and but not the date that his pasport expires, and he wish to get a new one before his extension of stay.

Please read OP again, the questions is about valid visa in the old passport, when he get his new one, before next application for extension of stay:

in this case ,what happens to my extension of stay ?

what should i do in this scenario ? I appreciate any advice / helpful info . 

You are still missing the point that we are saying that he can't have an extension beyond his passport's expiry date - the OP really needs to check

You are still missing the point that we are saying that he can't have an extension beyond his passport's expiry date - the OP really needs to check

Please read gain: OP has an extension till June/July and wish to renew his passport before applying for next extension of stay.

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Please read gain: OP has an extension till June/July and wish to renew his passport before applying for next extension of stay.

The OP does want to renew his passport because it EXPIRES before his extension (supposedly)