Question about Extension stay and change of passport

I have an extension stay till next year around june / july .

however my passport will be expiring soon . I am travelling out of thailand and then coming back a month later with my new passport .

in this case ,what happens to my extension of stay ?

what should i do in this scenario ? I appreciate any advice / helpful info . 

When re-entering Thailand with your new Passport, you will also need to show your corner-clipped (to invalidate it) old Passport that contains the Re-Entry Permit to protect your 1-year extension of stay.  Thai border-immigration will based on the data in the old Passport then stamp your new Passport with a Permission to stay till the date of your Re-Entry Permit protected Permission to stay (June/July 2024).

You would then need to go to the local Imm Office that provided you with your 1-year Permission to stay to do the 'change of passport' which consist of transferring the info from the relevant stamps in that old passport to your new passport.  No need to do this immediately on your return, as you can do this at any time convenient for you, but latest when applying for a new 1-year Permission to stay when your current one expires June/July.

Note: 90 days after re-entering Thailand your 90-day report will be due, and since you will have a new Passport you won't be able to do the 90-day report on-line (as the Passport number will not match anymore), and you will have to do it in person at your local Imm Office.  And while doing that you can of course at same time do the 'change of passport' and have the relevant stamps transferred.  You should also keep your old - invalidated - passport, as it will be needed when applying in June/July for your next 1-year extension of stay.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Some confusion creeping in here.

During the course of a one year extension you may

become aware that your current passport will not be

valid to accept another full one year extension.

You therefore renew your passport and then go along

to your IO and ask them to transfer your current extension

to the new passport. You are then all set to go for a new

full one year extension.

When I did mine in 2021, I brought the new passport, old passport and the letter from the US government asking them to transfer the old visa & stamps to the new passport. They did not actually paste in a new visa, but stamped the new one and filled in the information...

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, dick turpin said:

How come you have an extension of stay beyond 

the expiration of your passport.

He said expiring soon, not that it was before the extension.

Some international travellers see a passport as expired once it has less than 6 months to run. I renewed mine recently as I want to go to Vietnam in Feb and it was due to expire in July.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Iamloki said:

When I did mine in 2021, I brought the new passport, old passport and the letter from the US government asking them to transfer the old visa & stamps to the new passport. They did not actually paste in a new visa, but stamped the new one and filled in the information...

Extensions ARE only a STAMP not 'pasted' in your PP.

I have no Idea about US passports but Ozzie new ones are stamped no letter needed. Just write in your new PP number, well that's what I did. Don't forget to change your new PP with banks etc..

cancelledPPstamp.thumb.jpg.3f3931f3b3bb35d39d0b906159bb6295.jpg

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Utter BS. I know it can not, an extension only lasts for one year or to the end of your passport, I know 'coz it happened to me last year, I got caught out thinking it could be, so I had to get a new extension twice, luckily I still had around 5 months left to get a new PP, you could be in deep poo poo, if you only had a month left, as it takes more to get a new PP,   the rule changed way back in 2013.

Yea,exactly the same thing happened to me,  it happen to me also.

I learned a valuable lesson, always check your stamp.  TIT

• Agree 1

Just now, sirineou said:

Yea, exactly the same thing happened to me,  it happen to me also.

I learned a valuable lesson, always check your stamp.  TIT

Lucky for me my IO pointed it out that I would need to get a new PP, if they hadn't I would have been on a 5 month overstay 😱, I think I remember you posting at the time as our PP ran out at the same time, the most annoying thing is that my old application date has changed to NEXT WEEK.

Also when I did my last 90day report at my sub IO on Koh Chang, he pointed out I'd need to renew my extension ( I knew that anyway) but credos to him. :wai: 

2 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Rubbish. Your extension of stay can be carried on to your next passport.

very true, but an extension of stay can not be issued for longer than the validity of your current passport

"

𝗠𝘆 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗱𝗼 𝗶 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹 𝗠𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗶 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗮..

I believe you misunderstand the process.

You get an extension up to a year OR for the validity of the passport (if it's less than a year)

When you get a new passport they will transfer the extension stamps to it

BUT

they will not give you the time you lost because you're the one that applied with a passport valid less than a year 

You now have a new expiration date for your extension (which as you say is May) and that will be your yearly extension renewal date from now on."

To quote an ASEAN Now global moderator

:-)

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jimn said:

Lots of confusion. 

When renewing an extension of stay, it will only be renewed up to expiry of passport. FACT.

This year whilst in the UK I got a new passport even though it still had 18 months validity. I did this because I knew that when I renew my extension in May 24 that I would lose months on my extension.

On returning to Thailand I showed both passports old and new. They put arrival stamp in new passport. A few weeks later I visited immigration to transfer extension stamps over for free. 

Dont be caught out and believe some of the drivil being posted in this thread.

The correct answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

You can have your opinion , but why do you  need to qualify mine as "Rubbish"  and I told you .

"It has happened to me"  are you calling me a liar? 

I don't post opinions I only post facts.

Fact. An extension of stay will only e given up to the expiry date of your passport if less than 12 months.

Fact. If you have a full 12 month extension and then renew your passport the details will be transferred to your new passport.

This is what you said:

Sorry to say , but Your extension to stay expires with your passport. 

It has happened tome , and I end up getting only 8 months out of it. 

Check with your IO

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Oh yes it can. Take your new passport to Immigration and they will transfer the information.

Just now, Lite Beer said:

Fact. An extension of stay will only e given up to the expiry date of your passport if less than 12 months.

Fact. If you have a full 12 month extension and then renew your passport the details will be transferred to your new passport.

How do you get a 12 month extension on a PP that expires in less than 12 months?

You cannot. end of. as I said that rule finished in 2013.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

very true, but an extension of stay can not be issued for longer than the validity of your current passport

"

𝗠𝘆 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗱𝗼 𝗶 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹 𝗠𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗶 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗮..

I believe you misunderstand the process.

You get an extension up to a year OR for the validity of the passport (if it's less than a year)

When you get a new passport they will transfer the extension stamps to it

BUT

they will not give you the time you lost because you're the one that applied with a passport valid less than a year 

You now have a new expiration date for your extension (which as you say is May) and that will be your yearly extension renewal date from now on."

To quote an ASEAN Now global moderator

:-)

He A'int listening just let him go on overstay, then we'll hear all about that init.

21 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

O k 

Then you have comprehension Issues. because that;'s what I also posted. 

and suffer from  multiple personality syndrome  because your other personality said :

"Rubbish. Your extension of stay can be carried on to your next passport. "

Edited by sirineou
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When re-entering Thailand with your new Passport, you will also need to show your corner-clipped (to invalidate it) old Passport that contains the Re-Entry Permit to protect your 1-year extension of stay.  Thai border-immigration will based on the data in the old Passport then stamp your new Passport with a Permission to stay till the date of your Re-Entry Permit protected Permission to stay (June/July 2024).

You would then need to go to the local Imm Office that provided you with your 1-year Permission to stay to do the 'change of passport' which consist of transferring the info from the relevant stamps in that old passport to your new passport.  No need to do this immediately on your return, as you can do this at any time convenient for you, but latest when applying for a new 1-year Permission to stay when your current one expires June/July.

Note: 90 days after re-entering Thailand your 90-day report will be due, and since you will have a new Passport you won't be able to do the 90-day report on-line (as the Passport number will not match anymore), and you will have to do it in person at your local Imm Office.  And while doing that you can of course at same time do the 'change of passport' and have the relevant stamps transferred.  You should also keep your old - invalidated - passport, as it will be needed when applying in June/July for your next 1-year extension of stay.

100% correct>>
extensions./valid visas, ( like china/india 10 year ones)  in cancelled passports are still valid
i just got a new passport last week ( US passports dont have those stamps as the Australian one NOR do they give you a letter anymore) yet my extension expires end of March
I am doing my 90 day report by mail ( due jan 5th, only need mail in relevant copies) and than will transfer stamp and get new extension at same time!

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, bluebanana said:

I have an extension stay till next year around june / july .

however my passport will be expiring soon . I am travelling out of thailand and then coming back a month later with my new passport .

in this case ,what happens to my extension of stay ?

what should i do in this scenario ? I appreciate any advice / helpful info . 

You can show both passports upon entering the Kingdom, all valid visas are still valid in an otherwise expired and cancelled passport.

When back in Thailand you shall go to your local immigration office where you extension of stay is approved, and ask for your original visa and extension of stay being transferred to you new passport. Keep the letter that comes together with your new passport, the immigration office might wish a copy. Your new passport will be rubber stamped with confirmation of your original entry visa and latest extension of stay, and from that time you only need to show your new passport.

Example of visa-transfer...

Passport-visa-transfer.jpg.a1e8a3b079e012e5cd0870a85fcac935.jpg

Example of extension of stay transfer...

Passport-extension-transfer.jpg.8548c9db24051adf16094bde73732143.jpg