Phat Kaphrao ranked third best dish in the world by Taste Atlas

webfact

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

These types of statistics are collected based on surveys of populations in their tribe (or group). Why do you need proof of that? 

What I was trying to say , is that the matter is subjective , 

it is not like being the heaviest or tallest something that can be measured and proved to be a fact.

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

What I was trying to say , is that the matter is subjective , 

it is not like being the heaviest or tallest something that can be measured and proved to be a fact.

Agreed, and as someone once said "there's no disputing taste" but we do anyway

(Signed) "the world's shortest giant"

16 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Minced pork, or as the Thai say: Moo Saap.

Not to be confused with Mo....

Does'nt have to be minced pork.  A Swedish friend of mine was really surpised when I ordered pat grapo gy. He didn't know that existed. Tried it and liked it.

Also can be made with shtimp or squid.

When ordering a chicken pat grapow I make sure to tell them ' without skin '

I don't know why the spell it with a K  ??   Should be a G.  In Thai กระเพรา , first letter is gor gy ?

A friend wanted to go to Ko Chang and couldn't understand why Thai's had difficulty understanding him . Once he stopped pronouncing it Co chang and tried Got Chang ....no problem

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Of course it is. What complete rubbish. Why do they keep pushing this absolute nonsense. Taste Atlas is obviously not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd authority on culinary delights. I wonder where turducken comes in on this list?

image.png.a061fdd8a82710ce996f76318917126a.png

My turducken are longer,slimmer and darker than yours.

On 12/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, jaywalker2 said:

Third best in the world? Ridiculous. I like kaphrao and make it all the time, but it's basically a cheap street food dish. It's popular but I certainly wouldn't call it one of the top dishes in the world.

what if you were a snowbird ?...bet ya crave this dish while away, as i do when I'm in the UK, i even tried to grow the 'holy kaprao basil' from seeds in UK but, NO luck!

in fact i MISS this kaphrao dish even MORE than the Thai-wife whilst in the UK lol!:giggle:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

what if you were a snowbird ?...bet ya crave this dish while away, as i do when I'm in the UK, i even tried to grow the 'holy kaprao basil' from seeds in UK but, NO luck!

in fact i MISS this kaphrao dish even MORE than the Thai-wife whilst in the UK lol!:giggle:

You can use Italian basil. It's not exactly the same but similar and it creates a good dish. Pal discussses this on Hot Thai Kitchen:

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-kra-pao-beef/

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You can use Italian basil. It's not exactly the same but similar and it creates a good dish. Pal discussses this on Hot Thai Kitchen:

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-kra-pao-beef/

yeah tried Italian basil, not as good...

anyways i have a new plan, at the wifes house in the garden she has tall mature kaphrao plants in fact bushes!, im going to dig some out and take them to the UK, complete with the roots in a damp wet plastic bag with my ...cabin bag :biggrin:...im sure the Thai airways crew will find it hilarious, and not bother me!:giggle:

1 hour ago, CaptainPeacock said:

yeah tried Italian basil, not as good...

anyways i have a new plan, at the wifes house in the garden she has tall mature kaphrao plants in fact bushes!, im going to dig some out and take them to the UK, complete with the roots in a damp wet plastic bag with my ...cabin bag :biggrin:...im sure the Thai airways crew will find it hilarious, and not bother me!:giggle:

They'll allow you to import plants?

• 3 weeks later...