Thailand laws.

earlinclaifornia

23 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Deal with your insurance and let them deal with the one who caused the accident.

Don't think many scooter riders have insurance, me included, but if the guilty party admits liability and willing to pay

than it should be easy to finish without the police in the middle...

23 minutes ago, grain said:

The only law of Thailand you need be concerned about is it's always the foreigners fault. If you had of stayed in your own damn country this would never have happened. I'm not pulling your leg here, that is the mindset, Thai cops and authorities have actually stated this often.

Funny thing is they actually believe it 😱😱😱😱

Abandon all hope.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that you could demand his arrest?!

The local police administer a written agreement with both as to responsibility. In the USA all states have a fine for not having your vehicle insured. Hence myself wondering what advice could he have been provided.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/insurance/penalties-driving-without-car-insurance/

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, grain said:

The only law of Thailand you need be concerned about is it's always the foreigners fault. If you had of stayed in your own damn country this would never have happened. I'm not pulling your leg here, that is the mindset, Thai cops and authorities have actually stated this often.

Nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

The local police administer a written agreement with both as to responsibility. In the USA all states have a fine for not having your vehicle insured. Hence myself wondering what advice could he have been provided.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/insurance/penalties-driving-without-car-insurance/

The only mandatory "insurance" is the Por Ror Bor scheme which provides limited no-fault medical along with death and disability benefits to people injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents. The benefits are quite low by Western standards.

Por Ror Bor isn't liability insurance, so there is no cover for damage to third party property or actual legal liability for bodily injury. 

Thailand does not require real third party liability insurance for motor vehicles.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't think many scooter riders have insurance, me included, but if the guilty party admits liability and willing to pay

I have it for this reason. Any issue, just call them up.

7 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that you could demand his arrest?!

The local police administer a written agreement with both as to responsibility.

So, what makes you think that you could demand his arrest?   And this has bugger-all to do with how things work in the US...god knows why you brought that up!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grain said:

The only law of Thailand you need be concerned about is it's always the foreigners fault. If you had of stayed in your own damn country this would never have happened. I'm not pulling your leg here, that is the mindset

Bore off with this rubbish. Absolutely untrue and just repeated by bitters on here who know nothing.

How many times have you had the above happen to you? Never.

I have been in a pretty big accident. Not my fauly but the Thai guy tried to blame me. The police listened to both accounts and took my side. My friend had a motorbike smash a couple of weeks ago. The police listened to both accounts and took his side.

Serious, I wish people would stop posting absolute <deleted> without evidence.

Thai cops and authorities have actually stated this often.

Have they, have they really?? I've been here 28 years and have never heard it. But you say they've said this often, so please provide a link. If you don't have a link then just crawl back in your box, be quiet, and stop posting paranoid anti-Thai rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So, what makes you think that you could demand his arrest?   And this has bugger-all to do with how things work in the US...god knows why you brought that up!

True, I could have more realistically used fine and not arrest. I now understand the law here and was only interested in finding that out.

I was lucky the person causing the accident was concerned and wanting to make amends.

Wanting to know what the Police involvement is an innocent question. They were able to cement the agreement and I extend my gratitude for the help.

Edited by earlinclaifornia

19 hours ago, grain said:

Incorrect..if the OP is in the right, he should stick to his story and pursue it. You've been listening to the wrong Police and falling into the old trap.

20 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

True, I could have more realistically used fine and not arrest. I now understand the law here and was only interested in finding that out.

I was lucky the person causing the accident was concerned and wanting to make amends.

Wanting to know what the Police involvement is an innocent question. They were able to cement the agreement and I extend my gratitude for the help.

Regardless of the Police involvement and assurances from the driver at fault, i would still be making a claim against the vehicle owner's 3rd Party Vehicle Insurance (Parabole). Seeing as you are a 'scooter' rider (and no information forthcoming from you about this), and probably not the registered owner and highly unlikely not insured; i would advise you to contact them and lodge a claim, and from memory they will pay up to 30,000 THB. Of course you or the guilty part cannot 'double-dip'. Just saying.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, grain said:

That is not true.  Often stated here and perhaps more true in certain areas.  I was on Koh Chang and a kid on a motorbike coming in the opposite direction lost control on a curve.  I saw him losing control and stopped hoping he would not hit me.  But he ran right into my truck.  There was never anyone saying that I was at fault.  We did have to meet at the police station the next day and make statements.  My insurance agent was there and met with the other family to discuss them paying for the damages.  That was the last I ever heard of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

If you own the scooter and it ia annually licensed, we all pay the tax and the mandatory insurance. It is a low coverage but it is there, if I am not mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

If you own the scooter and it ia annually licensed, we all pay the tax and the mandatory insurance. It is a low coverage but it is there, if I am not mistaken.

I agree and the initial hospital billing was 4K, my annual fee is 1K.

17 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The only mandatory "insurance" is the Por Ror Bor scheme which provides limited no-fault medical along with death and disability benefits to people injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents. The benefits are quite low by Western standards.

Por Ror Bor isn't liability insurance, so there is no cover for damage to third party property or actual legal liability for bodily injury. 

Thailand does not require real third party liability insurance for motor vehicles.

Thanks for informing me by answering my question. sabai sabai

22 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I was recently hit by a motor vehicle while on my scooter. The Thai person responsible is willing to pay for damages I encountered. Did the Police advise him that as he was uninsured I could have him arrested if I did not agree to me letting that become our agreement??

The compulsory insurance that comes with your tax renewal is only 3 party injuries, not damage to your vehicle or his, perfectly LEGAL. If he had private insurance the damage could be less than the first few thousand that he could have to pay on any claim, I pay around 6k a year for private car #2 insurance in case I hit an expensive car I still have to pay the first 2 or 3K but better than a million or more for a dented bumper/fender on an imported car. init. wake up and smell the roses, for a M/C maybe 2k a year for private insurance, do have that?

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The compulsory insurance that comes with your tax renewal is only 3 party injuries, not damage to your vehicle or his, perfectly LEGAL. If he had private insurance the damage could be less than the first few thousand that he could have to pay on any claim, I pay around 6k a year for private car #2 insurance in case I hit an expensive car I still have to pay the first 2 or 3K but better than a million or more for a dented bumper/fender on an imported car. init. wake up and smell the roses, for a M/C maybe 2k a year for private insurance, do have that?

Good suggestion thank you,

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grain said:

Bar stool chatterbox, utter Nonsense:post-4641-1156694572: