Somrak surrenders to police to answer sexual assault charges

webfact

image.png

File photo : Somrak Kamsing

Former Olympic boxing gold medallist Somrak Khamsing reported to police in the north-eastern province of Khon Kaen late Wednesday night, to acknowledge four charges, including attempted rape, related to a 17-year-old girl.

Speaking to the media, after meeting with the police at the Mueang district police station, the former boxing champion offered a public apology for the trouble he has caused and insisted that he did not know that the victim was a minor.

He also offered an apology to his own and the victim’s family and said that he will let the justice system take its course.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

21 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So definitely a minor. Isn't she? 

Yes, a minor according to the rules of reaching adult status. However, old enough to give sexual consent. Also old enough to know that you do not walk home with a stranger, and after cry rape.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

She is not a victim.

Obviously she is, because she is a minor. There might be attenuating circumstances for the perp, but that for the judge to decide. Sorry guys times have changed, even in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brickleberry said:

Ridiculous. The man was in a bar with bouncers at the door who checked her fake 'ID'.

She then took a motorcycle taxi with him to his hotel where his children were sleeping in another room.

Apparently, he asked how old she was after seeing her naked, and went to sleep without having sex.

She took pictures of him sleeping and messaged her friends. Next day, she rocks up at the police station and says he sexually assaulted her.

I smell a gold digger. What exactly did this poor guy do, other than take a girl home from a bar? Is this what life in Thailand is like, you have to triple check ID's and know how to spot a fake ID? Any reasonable person would assume she is of age as she was drinking in a bar with bouncers who had checked her ID.  She is two months away from being 18.

The above does help him to some extent... just hope the judge uses common sense.

• Like 2

The circus continues,   Big joke gets involved ,  The girls mother apologises, and Sek losos missis broadsides the girl with a withering attack.  The media should have been silenced over this until after any legal proceedings. Somrak, is obviously not the sharpest pencil in the box (not that i'd say that to his face of course) and is in danger of talking himself into trouble.  He should have exercised his right to silence, if such a concept exists here.

Is there actually any evidence of a sexual assault,?    seems to me its her word against his, the rest is purely circumstantial

At least they are sorting this here and now, and not 18 or so years later as is now often the case in the west

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Obviously she is, because she is a minor. There might be attenuating circumstances for the perp, but that for the judge to decide. Sorry guys times have changed, even in Thailand.

wait and see what happens

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, a minor according to the rules of reaching adult status. However, old enough to give sexual consent. Also old enough to know that you do not walk home with a stranger, and after cry rape.

Indeed, She and  or one of her acquaintances are obviously old enough to know that doing exactly what you said , could turn out to be quite lucrative,   

This sort of thing is getting more and more common, how much did that woman get off prince andrew?  and I don't think he was the first one she targeted

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Yes but he did notbknow this as she was in a bar and had been vetted in by security.

Sounds all like "officer, sorry I was over the speed limit, but not my fault as I wasn't looking at the speedo". We all know when a girl is seriously young, and that some limit may be dangerously close. So, if you are decent, better stay away.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Yes but he did notbknow this as she was in a bar and had been vetted in by security.

There is a legal principle here that is the core issue: if you are in a bar in Thailand, you assume the ladies in the bar are not minors. Otherwise, if the law puts the onus on you to verify their age, you are in big trouble.

The lady might be 17, using her older sister's ID, and then you go to jail for years if she complains afterwards to the police.

43 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Somrak Kamsing (orange love word thing) how does your wife feel about you dating kids?

He's divorced, why would he care what she thinks?   Why do you care ?     It was not exactly a "date" and  She is not a kid.   I doubt he reads this forum so if you really want to know the answer to that question, you will need  ask him yourself, to his face and not from behind a keyboard  Good luck with that by the way. He may not be Mike Tyson but he would make short work of you 

Edited by Bday Prang

1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

My wife's has a shop near a complex of bars. When the cops show up all the under age girls scurrying like rats. Seems like they don't want to be rescued. I see them come and go as they please.  

Legally, they are not old enough to even know they need rescuing.

But, the customers assume they are not underage, precisely because they are working in a bar. If the police nab a customer going with them, the bar owner should go to jail, not the customer. Unless the underage bargirl produced a very good fake ID. In that case, why are the police involved?