SCB Debit Card - No Longer Can Withdraw Money From ATM with "Card with chips"

What a ****ed way to start an overnight trip.  I stopped about 40km from home at an SCB ATM that I often use when traveling. 
Inserted my Debit card and entered my PIN.  The ATM spits out my card with a message that "cards with chips" no longer work and to 'contact my bank."

Swell.  Hell of a way to start a trip.  I'm off to see if another bank's ATM will work or not.  Stay tuned.

Has anyone else had any issues using their SCB Debit Card at an ATM?

25 minutes ago, connda said:

What a ****ed way to start an overnight trip.  I stopped about 40km from home at an SCB ATM that I often use when traveling. 
Inserted my Debit card and entered my PIN.  The ATM spits out my card with a message that "cards with chips" no longer work and to 'contact my bank."

Swell.  Hell of a way to start a trip.  I'm off to see if another bank's ATM will work or not.  Stay tuned.

Mine worked about 2 hours ago...

39 minutes ago, connda said:

"cards with chips" no longer work

Quite strange.

"card without chip" would make sense.

These were cancelled. Free exchange was offered.

But hasn't that been finished years ago??

How old is your card? Expiry date?

Any damages on the card or chip?

Might be a singular case that the ATM could not read the chip?

Haven't used my card for a while.

If withdrawing from SCB I use cardless withdrawal.

But really this would make a big wave if "card with chips" wouldn't work anymore.

Edited by KhunBENQ

36 minutes ago, connda said:

You found a real, actual SCB ATM? Wow! There used to be four of them within a couple of km of my house. Now, they're all gone. Last week I went to Lotus on Phutthamonthon Sai 5 and walked over to where the SCB ATM usually was outside their bank branch. Both branch and ATMs gone. 

43 minutes ago, connda said:

Had the same problem with my TTB card ........ chip was corrupted ........ new card works.

Try a BKB ATM most (all?) of them don't use the chip, so it should still work.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just do cardless withdrawals

Don't know how.  I'm open to suggestions or a "how to do a cardless withdrawal" tutorial.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Had the same problem with my TTB card ........ chip was corrupted ........ new card works.

Try a BKB ATM most (all?) of them don't use the chip, so it should still work.

Tried a different ATM once I got to Chiang Mai.  It worked.  I'm not sure if it's a card reader problem or a feature.  Kbank worked no problem.  Odd message though from the SCB ATM that rejected the transaction.
The message made it sound like the card I have will not work.  I'll try the ATM I used on my way back home and see if I get the same message.

15 minutes ago, connda said:

Don't know how.  I'm open to suggestions or a "how to do a cardless withdrawal" tutorial.

Found this on Youtube.  Somchai is your uncle.  I'll give it a try the next time.

• Like 1

Mods - you can close this as I thought SCB is now disabling the ability to withdraw cash using an ATM card in order to force users to the mobile application.  Perhaps not.  It may have just been the ATM's inability to correctly read the card although the error message was truly odd.
Thanks.