Olympic medallist Somluck faces attempted rape charges in Khon Kaen

webfact

image.jpeg

Olympic medallist Somluck Kamsing surrendered to the local police in Khon Kaen on four charges, including attempted rape, in a case involving a 17 year old girl. Deputy Chief Investigator of Muang District Police, Police Lieutenant Colonel Suparerk Suwanraj, confirmed that Somluck, accompanied by his elder brother and a close associate, presented himself at the station at 12.30am yesterday.

The 50 year old was subsequently accused of taking a minor from her parents or guardians, participating in an indecent act with a minor, committing an indecent act, and attempted rape. Despite issuing a public apology to the victim and her family, the former boxer has denied all the charges, according to Pol. Lt. Col. Suparerk.

Somluck was set free on the condition that his attorney provide a statement detailing the events and submit it to the police investigators within a 15-day period. The police plan to summon a motorbike rider, allegedly a close friend of Somluck’s, who is said to have transported the girl and Somluck from a place of amusement to a hotel. He will face charges for his part in the alleged crime.

The driver, identified as a 47 year old man named Paekko, is believed to have played a crucial role in the incident. The teenage girl, whose identity has been kept confidential, lodged a complaint with the police accusing Somluck of sexual assault.

by Mitch Connor

Picture of Somluck Kamsing courtesy of Bangkok Post.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This doesn't make sense. If he denies the charges and says he didn't do it, what did he apologise for?

I think it is typical in Thailand to apologize. And that can be apologizing for all the trouble or the bad publicity and all that. Like when someone is accused of ruining that wonderful reputation of Pattaya or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read in another article that he met her in a nightclub.

I guess that gives him reason to believe that she was already 20 (I am not sure about the current entry regulations).

And then it was reported that he left together with her from that club at 3:30am and they arrived together at a short time hotel.

What did she expect? That he gives her a good night kiss and wishes her good night?

I don't know any girl who would go with a guy in the middle of the night to a short time hotel and does not expect to have sex.

But maybe he met that one in a million girl who was naive and just wanted to cuddle. Maybe, just maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel so sorry for this guy, the cops smell money so they will hound him. You must be having a laugh "attempted rape" come on, if he was intent on rape I do not think the woman/girl could stop him. As said he saw she was underage and just went to sleep and for me that is a man of character. No screaming,  no running out the door just a concocted story with the hope of a payout..... so many flaws. Poor guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it is typical in Thailand to apologize. And that can be apologizing for all the trouble or the bad publicity and all that. Like when someone is accused of ruining that wonderful reputation of Pattaya or so.

He wasn't sincere because he didn't also apologise to society. For something he says he didn't do.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not defending anybody because I don't know the truth behind either story, however....

Why do men all over the globe get named publicly before a verdict has been given? The old saying, mud sticks, is never truer than in cases like these. By all means name and shame after a guilty verdict is passed but if you are innocent and you get accused of any sexual crime your life is pretty much over. People will forever remember you for a crime you didn't commit.

Not saying he's innocent at all but there should be laws that give protection to a person's identity before a court has heard the evidence presented. 

• Agree 1