Pheu Thai MPs urge talks on reopening Preah Vihear temple to tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

Seven MPs from Pheu Thai party in Si Sa Ket, a northeastern province of Thailand, have urged Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to initiate dialogue with the neighbouring Cambodian government.

The discussion will focus on enabling travel to the Preah Vihear Temple, situated on the Thailand-Cambodia border. The request was made to Defence Minister Sutin Klungsang during his visit to Pha Mor E Daeng in Kantharalak district, where the contentious temple, closed on the Thai side since 2008, is located.

Currently, Preah Vihear (known as Phra Vihan in Thai) Temple is off-limits to visitors due to border disputes and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Nevertheless, Cambodia has previously permitted Thais to make day trips to the site without a visa. Sutin voiced support for increased tourism in the area to stimulate local activity aligning with government policies. He hinted that the cordial ties between former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and ex-Cambodian Premier Hun Sen could assist in fostering negotiations.

Major General Nut Sri-In, commander of the Suranaree Task Force, assured that the proposed border opening would not impede national security, pending a decision from the Cambodian government. On November 24, the Si Sa Ket provincial administration held a meeting with the Office of the National Security Council to discuss the temporary opening of a section of the border. The meeting’s outcome will be presented to the Thai government at a later date, reported Bangkok Post.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of Wassana Nanuam

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And why should the Cambodian government do any favours for Thailand regarding that site?

Thailand contested and pontificated and caused disruption and loss of revenue to its impoverished neighbour, Cambodia, whilst they were disputing this land border for years.

Once the international court came down and ruled firmly on the side of Cambodia, the Thais now want to 'talk 'and get open access for tourism from the Thai side, which is on Cambodian soil.

Typical 'self-interest 'which is of no benefit to the Cambodians.

• Thumbs Up 1

My first visit there was decades ago when the site reopened briefly for a couple of weeks still under Khmer Rouge control. Thai Nationals were being admitted showing ID cards. The officious yet childishly ignorant Khmer Rouge wanted to keep my passport at the checkpoint. I had it secreted on my person but instead offered (with deadpan face) my UK AA issued IDP. Studied crritically, I was admitted but charged double entry fee. 

Toured the site and very impressed although it had KR defence positions in many places and minefields around the perimeter. A crashed helicopter too. Many crude carvings had been made in the ancient sandstone being the equivalent of 'Kilroy was here'

On exit, the KR at the checkpoint were unable to locate my 'passport' and I left without it. No surprises there😀

Have been back several times since then with family and friends but the 2008 closure seemed final.

It could be a nice money-spinner for the Cambodian Government and Thai tour operators but would need to be carefully controlled to preserve its structures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

And why should the Cambodian government do any favours for Thailand regarding that site?

Thailand contested and pontificated and caused disruption and loss of revenue to its impoverished neighbour, Cambodia, whilst they were disputing this land border for years.

Once the international court came down and ruled firmly on the side of Cambodia, the Thais now want to 'talk 'and get open access for tourism from the Thai side, which is on Cambodian soil.

Typical 'self-interest 'which is of no benefit to the Cambodians.

It seems as though the Thais were hoodwinked back when the border agreement with the French was negotiated. It doesn't make sense that Cambodia would be allocated a tidbit at the top of an escarpment. After all, Thailand has many Khmer monuments, including at least one other on the border, so the heritage issue is not a reason for topographical considerations to be overridden. The ICJ decision sounds political. It was 1962, i.e. Cold War, and the lawyer for Cambodia was Dean Acheson, a recently retired US Secretary of State. Thailand had White & Case, a prominent US law firm. My father used them, too, in the 1960s. He had around 7 litigations with the US government, and that one was the only case that he lost. 

• Confused 1