Advice for a bad case of the runs?

bob smith

2 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Ciprofloxin is a very dangerous drug which you can buy over the counter. Read up on it, it has been banned in some countries. I am now only just recovering after 4 years

It's not dangerous to everyone, same as Penicillin or peanuts.

It does ZERO harm to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bob smith said:

still on the bog mate.

can you smell it through your device? :D

I had the water runs for 3 days like 2 months ago, but didnt feel the need to share. If I felt gas it was time for loo. No pain, it cured itself.

On 12/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, Crossy said:

I discovered a wonderful development whilst working in India (Bengaluru).

The hotel bathroom was designed so that you could sit on the lav. and throw-up in the sink at the same time :whistling:

As above ^^^, bang in some Immodium, that should at least stem the flood.

I solved that by holding a trash can in front of me as I sat!
I had food poisoning so bad I begged someone to shoot me.    I never went to the hospital emergency room.  When I think about it sometimes, I am amazed that I did not die!
Now that I think about it, if I had to travel to the emergency room on my own, I would have never made it.   The food poisoning occured in Santa Cruz California at a barbecue meat place.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:21 AM, Prubangboy said:

After a few days, you're prob past the phase where antibiotics would help. Drink electrolytes and sleep a lot.

Tell us about the curry. In England, I had the super-hot Phaal Curry. Def. a colon blaster. Invented in Bradford, I think.

I love Prawn Phaal...  Used to get it in an 'Indian' restaurant in Reading UK, run by Nepalese. Mmmmm

On 12/18/2023 at 7:10 AM, bob smith said:

Ive had the runs for a few days now after a curry a few nights ago.

averaging 5/6 craps a day at the momemt.

nothing but water.

any advice for me?

i accidentally soiled myself in bed last night as i thought it was just a fart, but I was sadly mistaken.

the smell was beyond all comprehension.

bob

So your swingers party is on hold for now?

On 12/18/2023 at 7:10 AM, bob smith said:

Ive had the runs for a few days now after a curry a few nights ago.

averaging 5/6 craps a day at the momemt.

nothing but water.

any advice for me?

i accidentally soiled myself in bed last night as i thought it was just a fart, but I was sadly mistaken.

the smell was beyond all comprehension.

bob

My advice pop in to a clinic and get some antibiotics to kill the bug that was in your curry.  Electrolytes will also help but you need meds to kill the bugs

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I had food poisoning so bad I begged someone to shoot me.    I never went to the hospital emergency room.  When I think about it sometimes, I am amazed that I did not die!

Got the same early on from eating shellfish from a beach vendor. Worst night of my life. Lesson learned.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, SammyJ said:

I take norfloxacin - relief within a day
https://www.thailandmedical.news/pages/drugs/genrx-norfloxacin

Check with your pharmacist, but ask for dysentary medication - does not sound to me like you're in Imodium territory anymore

You might be aware that norfloxacin, like other related drugs, may have very serious and permanent side effects--in the US, it carries that is called a "black box warning" for all doctors and pharmacists and is to be used when all other antibiotics may have failed in helping---below is an example of the most serious side effects (and i have had family members and friends be prescribed levofloxacin, a related drug and too often prescribed for  minor respiratory problems) and had these very side effects that lingered for years.

Norfloxacin may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon (the fiber that connects bones to muscles in the body), especially in the Achilles' tendon of the heel. This effect may be more likely to occur if you are over 60, if you take steroid medication, or if you have had a kidney, heart, or lung transplant.

As I shared, family members and friends, quickly discontinued use of this drug due to strong tendon problems, and even after stopping, the aches lingered for years.

Norfloxacin, like other fluoroquinolones in that class can cause tendon problems, I know this through experience. And as this poster says, there is a "black box warning" in the US for the use of this particular antibiotic.

The best bet is to get along to a clinic/hospital for them to take a sample and analyse and culture whatever is found in it, then the correct antibiotic can be prescribed. Otherwise you are leaving yourself open to C Difficile...........Most cases of C. diff occur when you've been taking antibiotics or not long after you've finished taking antibiotics. There are other risk factors: Being 65 or older.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

who asked you?

its a public forum so if you dont like my responses to other people's comment, dont read them. You have the freedom to pass on by any time you wish. If you dont want people to reply to your post then dont post. pretty simple concept even for you Bob

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised @ you bob I thought you was at the age where we follow the 3 golden rules

1) never pass a bathroom 

2) never trust a fart

3) never waste a hard on 

Seriously hope you have a hard <deleted> soon we've all been there try and avoid coughing 

1 minute ago, Dave0206 said:

I'm surprised @ you bob I thought you was at the age where we follow the 3 golden rules

1) never pass a bathroom 

2) never trust a fart

3) never waste a hard on 

Seriously hope you have a hard <deleted> soon we've all been there try and avoid coughing 

The deleted sounds like hit in case it's mistaken for anything else

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I dont think anyone likes your responses, Dan. It’s not just me!

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I dont think anyone likes your responses, Dan. It’s not just me!

Everyone is free to comment if they don't like my responses  just like the multitudes that find your post just plan bs.  Only this time its actually coming out of both ends for you.   Im just glad you don't and it irritates the little old man you are.

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

still on the bog mate.

can you smell it through your device? :D

I sympathize with you . I have been through the same as follows . On returning to the UK from Thailand I developed the runs and up to 10 times a day which stank the house out . I went to the doctors but could only see the nurse . She asked for a poo sample which would be sent to the laboratory for testing .  I gave the sample the same day . Nurse said the results may take 4 or 5 days , so in the mean time take ciprofloxin  . It cleared up in about 2 days .  The following week back to doctor for lab report . Doctor sat looking at his computer and was mystified , saying " I have never seen this before ". Turns out it was a water borne parasite common in Asia .  Do you think that all restaurants and street food vendors in Thailand use bottled water ? Not a chance in hell  . I certainly never eat street or market food because 15 years ago I ended up in a Thai hospital with food poisoning . There will be those who will say something like " I have eaten Thai street food for more than 10 years and never had a problem " .  I guess its a lucky dip but I prefer to shorten the odds in my favour .

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Usually caught from swimming in freshwater, not from food.

Maybe but not in my case as there was no swimming . What you have to think about is all of the village ponds / lakes that are a domestic water supply , often do not pass through any filtering systems such as U/V or micro filter before being used .

BTW making food , often includes the use of water

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Dan O said:

Your were one of tge people recommending it doing it ???

Yes goigle can get you some additional info but it may or may not be accurate based on who posted it.  Gather additional info is good but it does beat going to a doctor. If you don't think they know the medicine properly then ask questions or get a second opinion 

i absolutely was NOT one of those here who recommended using it.  I know from family and friends the damage that can be done.

As to Google, I am not recommending reading what some random, individual posters have put up--I am advising sites like the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Web MD, the CDC, and depending on if organs are involved sites like the National Kidney Foundation, National Institute of Health, etc--and I look at not just one, but look for a consensus among these outstanding resources for medical information--they are often far more up-to-date than many doctors.

And, it is not so I am able to counter doctors, but so that I can confirm and understand better what I am being told by doctors--also, there are countless tales of doctors and mistakes and wrong, expensive medication being prescribed, so I always want to confirm drugs prescribed are actually helpful and will not carry serious side effects.

As with the Norfloxacin, it is not that it should never be used, but it is a drug of last resort, not first as potential side effects can be very serious and permanent, but here and the US, i have seen doctors prescribe it first, seemingly unaware that it carries the strongest warning possible about the dangers of its use???

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1