Light Filtering Stickers To Be Attached On Mirrors In Suvarnabhumi

Light filtering stickers to be attached on mirrors in Suvarnabhumi

Suvarnabhumi Airport is making light filtering stickers for the mirrors on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal behind the immigration checkpoint as sunlight is heating the terminal.

Mr. Serirat Prasutanond (เสรีรัตน์ ประสุตานนท์), the Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, says officials are urgently solving the problems at the passenger terminal, to facilitate the passengers and the airport personnel. He says sunlight on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal causes increasing heat and hinders the airport operation. Thus, the airport is making light filtering stickers to cool down the heat in this area.

Meanwhile, Suvarnabhumi Airport is setting up tourism images from various provinces of Thailand at the passenger terminal, and the work is expected to be done in the middle of next month.

Passengers have also complained that the Fire Exit signs at the airport are not very visible. Mr. Serirat says the airport is now solving this problem. He says the airport executives are deciding whether all signs in the airport will be upgraded in order to raise the standard.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 July 2007

I read a while back in some BKK news that some of the staff at Suvarnabhumi were complaining that during the daytime its unbearable to work with the sunlight heat that they get coming -apparently this was one of the various flaws in the new airport when it was contructed ?

Suvarnabhumi Airport is making light filtering stickers for the mirrors on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal behind the immigration checkpoint as sunlight is heating the terminal.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 July 2007

Shock horror! :D Sunlight heats buildings! You may have thought that this scientific 'Eurika' moment would have happened prior to construction of such an expensive building, but no, TIT. :o

do they mean window-glass by any chance? :o
If I am right, both is "Kra Jok" in Thai, right?

that's a relief then - for a moment i thought they were going to stick films on the powder compacts of immigration officers.... :D

The main glazing is already a light-filtrering glass, installed by Perma-ISA (who also did the curtain walling on Taipei 2001 (until last week the tallest building in the world).

The triple layer tensile-membrane roof is also a heat-reflecting / heat absorbing system, designed and installed by Hightex GmbH. The original Murphy-Hahn system was impractical and would not have reflected the heat sufficiently. Both systems were extensively tested before being approved. Both systems took into consideration the usual temperatures and sunlight hours that exist on the site.

It could well be that the air-conditioning system needs to be improved - I have encountered similar systems in other airports and none has been satisfactory - even when the units are present in far greater numbers.

Amazing it wasn't done in the first place really. Or perhaps it was but the money ended up in someone's pocket instead of on the glass.

Or perhaps nobody thought that it gets quite hot in Bangkok?

Rich

The main glazing is already a light-filtrering glass, installed by Perma-ISA (who also did the curtain walling on Taipei 2001 (until last week the tallest building in the world).

The triple layer tensile-membrane roof is also a heat-reflecting / heat absorbing system, designed and installed by Hightex GmbH. The original Murphy-Hahn system was impractical and would not have reflected the heat sufficiently. Both systems were extensively tested before being approved. Both systems took into consideration the usual temperatures and sunlight hours that exist on the site.

It could well be that the air-conditioning system needs to be improved - I have encountered similar systems in other airports and none has been satisfactory - even when the units are present in far greater numbers.

It's Murphy/Jahn; the three-layer membrane came into the design back in '98, and the original fritted glass (circa '97) wasn't installed. Now they are going to use pasties instead. Love to see how they retrofit in a cleaning system for the concourse!

While the HVAC design did think the building was rotated 180 degrees (hence the roof reflectors being reversed), the major problem was resolved before breaking ground.

The one area where legitimate HVAC concerns exist in terms of comfort is at the tops of the escalators for it being too hot, and the low velocity "trashcan" diffusers being far too high velocity and making it feel too cold, especially at night.

The main problems appear to be on the fourth (top) floor.

Believe it or not - hot air rises. Could be that the upper air should be removed (vents) and allow cooler air to take over.

(I stand corrected on the spelling of the architect, but I assure you that fritted glass was installed. Maybe not the original frit, but a fairly heavy - dense - one, anyway)

If I am right, both is "Kra Jok" in Thai, right?

A common mistake in translating from Thai to English for the reason you mention. Obviously the story is about windows, but the writer interpreted references to krajok as mirror instead of glass. Stickers is confusing as well, but obviously they are referring to film. Having said that, there have been so many screw-ups there that it wouldn't surprise me if they were putting stickers on mirrors to cool things down. Maybe little snowman stickers?

Edited by qualtrough

A possible factor is the fact that nearly every exit door is left fully open and allows the expensively cooled air to rush outside. Most of the revolving doors have been fixed and would reduce this escape dramatically but folks persist on using the doors next to them. It's the same with a lot of the malls in town... not many people are bothered enough to close the main doors and the air just rushes outside

A bit like trying to fill a bath with the pug out.