Thailand eyes pre-pandemic tourism levels by 2024, revamps VAT refund process

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The proposal is backed by King Power, the sole operator of duty-free concessions, which will continue to pay the same concession fee.

So what is it they are getting in return - otherwise they should be against this tooth and nail?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BestB said:

May be only to me , but this high season does not look very high, hotels still have plenty of rooms and streets are not full of people.

so to me looks like numbers are down from last year but the big heads seem to think numbers are growing 

From my and some friends perspectives we would have to disagree. Golfers are definitely higher than last year and evenings out in bars seem busier.

• Like 1

Although arrivals are important the better gauge is the number of days that a tourist stays in country.  The longer they stay the more they spend for everything.  That's why tourist days are more important then arrivals. 

As far as reaching pre-pandemic levels by 2024, that isn't happening.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand, a popular tropical destination, is anticipating a return to near pre-pandemic tourism levels by 2024. In 2019, the country welcomed nearly 40 million overseas visitors, contributing 12% to the nation’s GDP.

Here we go again... Only because some wishful-thinking Thai bureaucrats dream of glorious times in the past, doesn't mean that it will happen again (anytime soon)... Sometimes it pays to look at a world map to realise that Thailand is not the center of the world, and reading or watching international news to know that the world of 2019 is unlike that of 2023 or 2024...

(Pssst, you can, partially, thank your beloved overlords further up north for developments over the past few years, possibly with repercussions for the rest of the decade.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

They keep going on about tourism recovery but we couldn't care less. If you do your promotions and offer visa free travel, there is nothing much more to do about it. Just wait and see.  It depends on the economies of the countries of origin, especially China.

Far better to worry about things you can change, like upgrading Thailand's appalling public education to facilitate more foreign investment and ability to speak English and work in higher value added businesses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. Fifteen years ago, or so, the average tourist stayed for more than 3 weeks, but now it is only 9 days. - What does that tell you about Thailand's appeal to international tourists?

I think most of us already know that answer.  Too bad the TAT doesn't!

Schizophrenia with a heavy dose of delusion and disorganization... that is every agency/ministry, in a nutshell. Good luck going from somewhere south of 30 million visitors (probably 28 million, using a bit of creative counting) in 2023, to 40 million in 2024. Do these people not follow world news, or even their own news (press releases) about themselves. LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

Many foreigners import many thousands of dollars and other currencies annually that are mostly spent locally thus improving local economies. 

Just about ENTIRELY spent within Thailand, I should think. Why else do we change our home currencies in to baht?

• Agree 1

I have been out today, I spoke with some Stall Holders in Mike Shopping Mall and The Night bazaar, they all said the same very quiet including on an evening.

Bar owners must be expecting plane loads of tourists as they are now adding more bars to Made In Thailand.

2019 was a one off with numbers made up by the Chinese, their economy has slumped therefore the tourists numbers from China will be down.

Europeans, looking at the flight prices they have not decreased by much and Thailand forgets many countries have economies which are in recession.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have been out today, I spoke with some Stall Holders in Mike Shopping Mall and The Night bazaar, they all said the same very quiet including on an evening.

Bar owners must be expecting plane loads of tourists as they are now adding more bars to Made In Thailand.

2019 was a one off with numbers made up by the Chinese, their economy has slumped therefore the tourists numbers from China will be down.

Europeans, looking at the flight prices they have not decreased by much and Thailand forgets many countries have economies which are in recession.

Every stall holder always says that, it's the standard reply to a farang when they ask hos is business, I guess it's meant to elicit empathy .

• Agree 1