Mountain Bikes

SidJames

There are two shops that I know of on Threpprasit  Rd., corner of Soi 8.

SV Bike Shop - bought my Trek from there but quite  long time ago.

Numchai Bike Shop

Reviews on Google seem to indicate that Numchai is friendlier and possibly cheaper.

There are other bike shops dotted around town.  Pull up Google Maps for locations.

SV Bike is a member of the Probike group, a large chain of independently owned shops that work together, so if they don't have what you want they can usually quickly get it from another member.  I use the local one in my area, and was able to get an XL size Trek bike fairly quickly from them, sent from another dealer.

Probike | Find Probike's Retailer

children.jpg

1700741164911.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SidJames said:

Great advice folks.

How much should I be paying for a decent solid medium sized bike for my 14 year old boy?

It really varies based on the components, groupset etc, best to ask at the shop. They seem to be around 15k, bare in mind good road bikes are 100k+ these days

18 hours ago, SidJames said:

Great advice folks.

How much should I be paying for a decent solid medium sized bike for my 14 year old boy?

Is he serious about riding? There are different types of mountain bikes, some of which have only front suspension (hardtails) and others which have front and rear suspension (all mountain, cross country and downhill bikes).  

Mountain bikes are "solid"; that's why they were devised back in the late 70's and early 80's.  My estimate is that you could get a new hardtail from SV bikes starting at 8k baht and not have to worry about it breaking down.  A name brand bike would cost considerably more. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
  • Thanks 1

Acknowledging that it's a different time now, I bought my MTBs second hand from bahtsold. Paid a small percentage of the new price for bikes that were in pristine condition.

That was post- coup when visa rule changes had so many foreigners unable to renew. But there were always good deals from people picking up sticks and leaving Thailand for a multitude of reasons.

On 12/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, Bobthegimp said:

Is he serious about riding? There are different types of mountain bikes, some of which have only front suspension (hardtails) and others which have front and rear suspension (all mountain, cross country and downhill bikes).  

Mountain bikes are "solid"; that's why they were devised back in the late 70's and early 80's.  My estimate is that you could get a new hardtail from SV bikes starting at 8k baht and not have to worry about it breaking down.  A name brand bike would cost considerably more. 

Right, is he planning to do some serious single track, or just cruise around walking trails? Nothing wrong with that but no need to spend a lot.

• Like 1