New Driving and Riding Licence in Rayong

TroubleandGrumpy

Thanks for the report.  I'll be using Rayong for the first time when my 5-year licence expires.

Were you renewing a 5-year licence?

Was it straightforward to get the Certificate of Residence from Rayong Immigration?

Is a medical certificate needed for renewing a 5-year licence?

What is DLT Online testing and is this required if you're renewing a 5-year licence?

Cheers

40 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for the report.  I'll be using Rayong for the first time when my 5-year licence expires.

Were you renewing a 5-year licence?

Was it straightforward to get the Certificate of Residence from Rayong Immigration?

Is a medical certificate needed for renewing a 5-year licence?

What is DLT Online testing and is this required if you're renewing a 5-year licence?

Cheers

No - I was getting a new licence - using my existing Aust licence as basis.

Yes - complete the aplication document and take it to Immigration - go to this website and download document number 24 - Download Form – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau  You will need a passport photo - or you can pay for Immigration to do it (they have camera and printer). You will also need Passport and copies of the main, visa and stamp pages (if I recall).  Plus address proof - Lease etc.

Yes a Medical Certificate is probably required - definitely needed for new one - so very likely to be for renew.

Yes you need to do the DLT online testing for renewal and new licence.  DLT e-Learning (dlt-elearning.com)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

May I ask if there was anything other than the lease required?

All they asked for was the Lease document. I copied the main page with dates and address, plus the signatures page - and also took a copy of the full document (12 pages) but they did not ask to see it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are you a resident in Rayong province?, only asking to pass on info to someone else.

I use Trat and the process is the same ,cept I have a pink ID card so no COR needed ( i think it is actually called a LETTER of residence?) every Thai license requires a medical cert.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Are you a resident in Rayong province?, only asking to pass on info to someone else.

I use Trat and the process is the same ,cept I have a pink ID card so no COR needed ( i think it is actually called a LETTER of residence?) every Thai license requires a medical cert.

Yes, I'm resident in Rayong.

When I renewed my 5-year licence 4 years ago (then in Bangkok) a medical certificate was not required.  Has the policy changed since Covid?

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, I'm resident in Rayong.

When I renewed my 5-year licence 4 years ago (then in Bangkok) a medical certificate was not required.  Has the policy changed since Covid?

Yes you need a medical certificate in Rayong - why I do not know, but Covid sounds as good a reason as any.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mooping20Baht said:

can one still get something from the US Embassy instead of Immigration to renew an expired Thai Driving License?

Thought I heard that may no longer be done.

b) what is the medical certification, is that the "5 diseases" thing still?

You could get a certificate of residence from the US Embassy if you want to do it the most expensive and least convenient way. Getting it from immigration is much easier.

The medical cert is not the "5 diseases" thing. It is just a proof of life from a clinic. If you can see the clinic, walk into the clinic, and state that you need a med cert for a DL then you passed.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

The medical cert is not the "5 diseases" thing. It is just a proof of life from a clinic. If you can see the clinic, walk into the clinic, and state that you need a med cert for a DL then you passed.

My 'medical' on 15 December entailed just height, weight, blood pressure and asked one question: 'any illness that could affect my driving?'

My NZ licence has an endorsement for "correcting lenses must be worn while driving" however that doesn't seem relevant here.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

My 'medical' on 15 December entailed just height, weight, blood pressure and asked one question: 'any illness that could affect my driving?'

My NZ licence has an endorsement for "correcting lenses must be worn while driving" however that doesn't seem relevant here.

Here in Thailand it is a total waste of time. They have implemented things to try and reduce the death toll on the roads, but just like all bureracracies all over the world, they have implemented something that looks good, but actually makes little/no difference. Employs more public servants, costs tax payers a lot, and forces impositions on the people - but it does not work - and it is not done 'properly'. 

There was an older guy in the queue ahead of me doing the tests - he failed the colour tests, he was too slow on the reactions, and he seemed to fail the peripheral vision (hands were going upo and down a lot - guessing?).  They were extremely sympathetic and helped him and passed him. Wife said he probably just drives from his farm to the local market etc.  I said he would not need a licence to do that and that I hope he does not drive a truck full of crap down to Bangkok.

The 'solution' to reducing road deaths is simple - one for riders and one for drivers. Force all bike riders to wear an approved (decent) helmet - no exceptions.  Implement nationwide random booze buses, with severe penalties for massively drunk drivers (including jail).  That is all that is needed to massively reduce the toll.  Added to that I would implement red light cameras - but not speed cameras - that should only be done by policemen on the roads in cars or on bikes.  All the rest is bureacucratic crap - designed to rake in more and more money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...