Can A Farang Get A Credit Card From A Thai Bank?

Hi.

11 years ago I had a mid-life crisis, and dropped out. I left my job, wife, country, the rat race etc etc, sold everything, did a Robinson Crusoe and came to live in a hut in the south of Thailand.

The point is - I'm not normal. Hee hee - meaning that 99.9% of the farangs in this country have firm ties with their home country, plus family, friends, an income and bank accounts there, too. I cut every tie with the UK 11 years ago, and haven't been back since.

BUT - in the last couple of years, I've been wishing that I could have access to some sort of Credit Card for online purchases. Does anyone know if any Thai bank will issue a credit card to a farang, and if so, what the conditions might be?I've had a bank account with the Thai Farmers Bank for the last 11 years, with various incomes going through it, if that's of any use!

Cheers

Rob

Hi.

11 years ago I had a mid-life crisis, and dropped out. I left my job, wife, country, the rat race etc etc, sold everything, did a Robinson Crusoe and came to live in a hut in the south of Thailand.

The point is - I'm not normal. Hee hee - meaning that 99.9% of the farangs in this country have firm ties with their home country, plus family, friends, an income and bank accounts there, too. I cut every tie with the UK 11 years ago, and haven't been back since.

BUT - in the last couple of years, I've been wishing that I could have access to some sort of Credit Card for online purchases. Does anyone know if any Thai bank will issue a credit card to a farang, and if so, what the conditions might be?I've had a bank account with the Thai Farmers Bank for the last 11 years, with various incomes going through it, if that's of any use!

Cheers

Rob

Not unless you have a work permit or you are prepared to deposit an amount equal to the credit limit of the card with the bank, interest free.

Hi.

Cheers

Rob

Get your current bank to upgrade your ATM to VISA electron then you can make online purchases.

You don't need a CC for that.

You can also have one if you get a job with a work permit.

Easy.

Cheers

OK, simple solution to help you out. You said you already have an account with Thai Farmers Bank (Kasikorn Bank). Go to your nearest branch and apply for internet banking. Once set up, log in and apply for a "web card", the option is on the menu on the left.

Approval usually takes about a day and you will recieve a Visa card no with cvv and expiry date. You will not recieve an actual card and it is tied directly into your account, so you cannot overspend. But it is perfect for making online purchases.

No work permit or 'regular' income needed.

Edited by Norrad

If you have a work permit and six months banking history here then you should be able to get a credit card. The level of income required varies - I seem to remember Tesco Lotus being the lowest one I found around six months ago - but obviously the lower the income then the lower the credit limit you will be given. I would personally recommend Bank of Ayudhya and American Express Thailand being farang-friendly if you meet their requirements.

Without a WP and Thai banking history I think it's impossible to get a Thai based credit card.

Hi.

Cheers

Rob

Develop a relationship with a banker. They have a lot of freedom. I got a Bangkok Bank CC in '96. No work permit, only a Non "O" visa and recommendation from a Thai bank customer.

And no, it is not a debit card. At one point my bank balance was only 10% of my credit limit.

Not unless you have a work permit or you are prepared to deposit an amount equal to the credit limit of the card with the bank, interest free.

WRONG! Read rainman's (that's me) quest/guide/nightmare on how to get a credit card in Thailand without a deposit and without a work permit here.

Almost a year ago, I was in the same situation as you. While I was married in Thailand, I didn't have any work permit (I don't work here) and all I had was a bank account showing monthly payments coming in from overseas (you should probably show at least 50k).

Now if you just use it for online purchases and don't want to go into "debt" with the card, you can also use Bangkok Bank's Be1st card for online purchases. It works pretty much anywhere online.

:o