Bread shops

brianthainess

On 12/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, brianthainess said:

Why do bread shops keep the same amount of white bread, as brown/whole meal

Brown always runs out  first, and white crap is left till last, Oz was the same, it is so obvious what most people want yet the suppliers just don't seem to understand. 

What you do not know is that ALL the bread is white bread.

Except, in the case of the browner colored bread, they just add in a bit of bran, or something.

They usually do not use true whole wheat, or whole grain, to bake any color bread you can think of.

Am I right?

• Agree 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:46 PM, smokie36 said:

White bread

When you say, "White Bread", what do you mean?

Do you mean, "Farang"?

Or, do you mean:

image.png.754560054445c6cdacf97b0f66beadb0.png

Whitebread, waltzing down the street with Jimi?

Whitebread conservative flashing down the street!

image.png.4e14f2b08fbc1eb805bd49432e887f0a.png

Anyway, Jimi was anything BUT whitebread...

Wave On!

Dig!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What you do not know is that ALL the bread is white bread.

Except, in the case of the browner colored bread, they just add in a bit of bran, or something.

They usually do not use true whole wheat, or whole grain, to bake any color bread you can think of.

Am I right?

Yes... and not a fan myself of the denser, drier 'whole wheat' breads.  I occasionally add/mix bread & whole wheat flour (400 + 100gr) and get the same flavor, but a more enjoyable loaf.  Any more than 100gr and you need to adjust the other ingredients, as whole wheat sucks up the liquid.  

If it's a soft whole wheat, then they are probably adding an chemical emulsifier, as cheaper, than simply adding egg or milk powder.  Chemical emulsifier isn't really something you want to eat.

Protein content is minimal difference of 10% or 14%, and the gluten structure is better with bread flour, since having the higher protein content @ 13% (hopefully) than AP flour.  Whole wheat flour might give you another 1% of protein.   

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes... and not a fan myself of the denser, drier 'whole wheat' breads.  I occasionally add/mix bread & whole wheat flour (400 + 100gr) and get the same flavor, but a more enjoyable loaf.  Any more than 100gr and you need to adjust the other ingredients, as whole wheat sucks up the liquid.  

If it's a soft whole wheat, then they are probably adding an chemical emulsifier, as cheaper, than simply adding egg or milk powder.  Chemical emulsifier isn't really something you want to eat.

Protein content is minimal difference of 10% or 13%, and the gluten structure is better with bread flour, since having the higher protein content.

Tks.

Also, I have stopped worrying about the color of my bread.

As you know, I just use, almost exclusively, as do you and others, the good quality flour available from the local supplier that sells under the brand name, White Swan.

I like this product.

The only problem I had in the past was my own fault...due to my adding too much sugar.

(Now, all is well.  Good product, this flour, and it is sold at a reasonable price, too.)

I never go to bread shops, BTW, because.... WHY?

Bread shops are beyond my limited budget, and my bread just tastes better (to me anyway).

NOTE:  Helpful Hint...

For those who prefer dark bread, but cannot find it here....

Just put on a pair of shades, Man, and the bread will become darker.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Bread shops are beyond my limited budget, and my bread just tastes better (to me anyway).

Plus I know what's in it, or more so, what's not in it.  House smell better than buying from bread shop :coffee1:

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Plus I know what's in it, or more so, what's not in it.  House smell better than buying from bread shop :coffee1:

Speaking of Smells:

I would rather bake bread than clean my toilet, any day of the week.

• Haha 1